Best RF wallet to protect against fraud ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
This one:

https://saddlebackleather.com/wallet

They make great stuff. Not cheap. But after a couple of years, the wallet looks even better than new. You won't be disappointed.

Very nice Astro! Thank you for the suggestion since I tend to keep wallets a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you have an RFID chip in any of your credit cards?

I don't, so I don't use a wallet that blocks those kinds of skimmers.

I actually just got an email today from AMEX, asking me if I wanted to upgrade to their contactless card. NOPE!

Made in USA and/or hold you for a lifetime: What Astro14 posted (in the past he posted also couple other US made alternatives)

RF proof: use the local 7-Eleven that the local cops use.... (true story, they first warn me about couple cards I had)

Unusual approach: if you frequent places like Wisconsin Dells, WI or Branson MO or other tourist traps where bikers/Harley riders congregate and have fun, you may be in luck and instead of pretty good Chinesium knock-offs to find made in the USA knock-offs. Maybe on clearance/close out.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I'd like to reiterate: how many of you guys actually own a credit card with an RFID chip?

The Costco CitiCard Visa that replaced the Costco Amex. I only use it at Costco locations.
In the past: the Chase Mastercard before they went Visa only. And I think some older Chase freedom VISA versions had RFID.
Never used the RFID option.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
What RF wallet do you use to protect against credit card fraud and identify theft ?

With my bank, I simply requested a card that was NOT RFID enabled. You probably just have to ask for one.

"'Crowdhacking' Steals Credit Cards Feet Away" - https://bit.ly/2E0oYtZ

Ed

I'd like to reiterate: how many of you guys actually own a credit card with an RFID chip?

Three of my cards have a chip.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Not the ones with the chip like this, which you insert ? These are EMV cards and do not transmit at all

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you do have one that looks like that then it is not broadcasting.

These cards broadcast to anyone or anything, the ones that look like below. These are RFID cards

[Linked Image]

https://www.mybanktracker.com/news/chip-cards-safe-from-wireless-thieves

I thought the RFID cards were being phased out in favor of the chipped cards?

I prefer NFC like I use with Apple Pay.

I've found that having 3-4 of them in my wallet stops them scanning.

When I had just one, I could tap my wallet on the reader, and it would work.

When I had two, I could flip my wallet, and use either

When three came up, it stopped working for all of them.

But if I'm somewhere foreign, I keep wallet and passport in a safe, and carry one of these...
not that one. a $10 ebay one...checked it and it won't scan

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Not the ones with the chip like this, which you insert ? These are EMV cards and do not transmit at all

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you do have one that looks like that then it is not broadcasting.

These cards broadcast to anyone or anything, the ones that look like below. These are RFID cards

[Linked Image]

https://www.mybanktracker.com/news/chip-cards-safe-from-wireless-thieves

I honestly don't understand the purpose of the RFID-chipped cards. EMV works perfectly fine and takes literally three more seconds per transaction...

I'll never own an RFID-chipped card, if I can help it.

This mean i'll be able to keep my 14 year-old wallet for many more years to come!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I thought the RFID cards were being phased out in favor of the chipped cards?

I can't say for the States, but here, we've had both for an extended period. You can "tap" for more trivial amounts and the chip is required for larger purchases. Some stores, particularly those that sell very low markup, very cheap items (i.e. lottery kiosks) may not take "tap" transactions since the service charge will exceed their markup on the product. I agree with gathermewool's point. I've never bothered with tapping. It doesn't take long to use the chip properly. However, people are lazy, and this is one way to send your significant other or a friend or your kid to the store for something small without divulging your pin. I'm sure it's worthwhile to some, but I don't need it.

I bought one of these cheapies recently, to replace a 20yr old wallet that finally gave up the ghost. It's on the large size, and there is nothing Swiss about it, but fits my front pockets well. No RFID credit cards here, but my "enhanced" NY driver's license is RFID enabled for some reason. The DMV gives you a little foil sleeve with each renewal.
smirk2.gif

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HHMF1D5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back