Is there a Toyota Recall Coming Up on 4 and 6 cyl Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Related to a part in the motors that is not properly flowing lubrication up to full spec or something?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Related to a part in the motors that is not properly flowing lubrication up to full spec or something?

good for Toyota admitting they have a problem Volvo made crap engines for 12 years with bad piston rings and they did nothing . Difference between a good company and a crap automobile company .

It is going to be a show when all the de-tuned BMW engines for the Supra end up having problems. If that is what you are referring to ?

And after 21 years of waiting, what do we get in the new Toyota Supra? 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft. of torque. Looks impressive, right? Not until you find out how the 2019 BMW Z4 M40i churns out 382 horsepower and 369 lb-ft. of torque from the same inline-six.

So many other articles but here is one https://www.automoblog.net/2019/01/19/toyota-bmw-sports-cars/

Originally Posted by Kjmack

good for Toyota admitting they have a problem Volvo made crap engines for 12 years with bad piston rings and they did nothing . Difference between a good company and a crap automobile company .

TOYOTA tried their best to kill me in the mid 2000s on denial of deady leaky exhaust into the cabin of my Yaris.
Kept pushing then I got corporate approval then the dealer refused to do the job. Then a TSB came out.

Until they lost 100's of million on defect cover ups they weren't coming clean. They hid their junk as well as anybody.

Improve perceived quality by covering up defects = Toyota Quality

EXCESSIVE SULFUR ODOR EG035-06
Models:
'07 Yaris Liftback
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 5, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
August 4, 2006: Applicable vehicles have been clarified - This TSB applies ONLY to
Yaris Liftback models.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur odor on 2007 model year Yaris
vehicles under the following conditions:
Stop and go driving
Heavy acceleration
In order to reduce the sulfur odor, a new front catalytic converter has been made
available. Follow the repair procedure to replace the catalytic converter assembly.
2007 model year Yaris Liftback vehicles.
ORIGINAL PART NUMBER* REPAIR PART NUMBER* PART NAME QTY
17410-21540 17410-21800 Pipe Assembly,
Exhaust, Front 1
* NOTE:
The original part number (17410-21540) is currently used in vehicle production and is
still available as a service part.The repair part number (17410-21800) should ONLY be
used when the customer complains of sulfur odor

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), 2007 model year Yaris Repair Manual:
Exhaust: Exhaust Pipe Assy (1NZ-FE).
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
170171 R & R Front Exhaust Pipe Assembly 0.5 17410-21540 60 99
Applicable Warranty**:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
** Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a cust

Last edited:
Some of the V6 engines have start up rattle from the chain when cold; it's an awful sound for about 2 seconds. Is this what the OP is referring to possibly?

"Some 2006-2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption."

For drivers of these vehicles (see "Affected Models" below), this means that the oil pressure light can come on early and often, and/or that the engine can burn a quart of oil every 1,000-1,200 miles. This oil consumption can damage the engine long-term—even causing it to fail—and obviously costs the car owner more because he or she has to purchase more oil, and take the car into the shop more often.

And yet, it wasn't until 2015 before Toyota offered to repair the issue for free—and even then, only for certain models and within a limited time window. This offer was too little, too late, and left many Toyota owners out in the cold. In fact, by 2015, many drivers had already shelled out several thousand dollars in repairs.

WHICH TOYOTA VEHICLES HAVE AN OIL DEFECT?
The following Toyota vehicles may suffer from the oil consumption defect:

2007-2009 Toyota Camry
2007-2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2007-2008 Toyota Solara
2009 Toyota Corolla
2009 Toyota Matrix
2006-2008 Toyota RAV4
2007-2008 Scion Tc
2008-2009 Scion Xb

The only thing I'm worried about on my Corolla after fifteen years is when is it going to let me down? Because the horror stories I hear about all the other cars are worse. Gee today may be the day it implodes!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

TOYOTA tried their best to kill me in the mid 2000s on denial of deady leaky exhaust into the cabin of my Yaris.
Kept pushing then I got corporate approval then the dealer refused to do the job. Then a TSB came out.

Until they lost 100's of million on defect cover ups they weren't coming clean. They hid their junk as well as anybody.

Models:
'07 Yaris Liftback
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 5, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
August 4, 2006: Applicable vehicles have been clarified - This TSB applies ONLY to
Yaris Liftback models.
Stop and go driving
Heavy acceleration
In order to reduce the sulfur odor, a new front catalytic converter has been made
available. Follow the repair procedure to replace the catalytic converter assembly.
Exhaust, Front 1
* NOTE:
The original part number (17410-21540) is currently used in vehicle production and is
still available as a service part.The repair part number (17410-21800) should ONLY be

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), 2007 model year Yaris Repair Manual:
Applicable Warranty**:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs

Ouch.

Quite a claim.

Which engine?

Which years?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Models:
'07 Yaris Liftback
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 5, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
Yaris Liftback models.
Stop and go driving
Heavy acceleration
Exhaust, Front 1
* NOTE:

Applicable Warranty**:

Oh boo hoo. The big 3 tried to hide all of their problems for decades...

Employee of supplier to Toyota plant.

Why are you being so freaking cryptic?

//

I have my own question, along the same vein:

Has anyone ever heard of one tire brand not lasting as long as another tire brand???

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I remember the OP starting a bunch of threads on the new Rav4. So not sure if that's the reason.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by gathermewool

I remember the OP starting a bunch of threads on the new Rav4. So not sure if that's the reason.

Right, but in here he responds with his ??source?? being, "Employee of supplier to Toyota plant" What in the heck does that even mean or imply!?

I'm sorry, but threads like this are annoying at best, worthless at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back