Is Supertech good enough for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle uses 0w-20 and it will now be used on a daily basis for several hours (possibly 6-8) of driving and idling.

I'm currently using Castrol Edge, but I wouldn't mind spending less if ST will do the same job.

Originally Posted by Rand
what vehicle? what location?
generic answer yes.

Agreed.

Maybe not any heavy trailer towing, but otherwise *most likely* still just fine

Originally Posted by A_A_G
Vehicle uses 0w-20 and it will now be used on a daily basis for several hours (possibly 6-8) of driving and idling.

I'm currently using Castrol Edge, but I wouldn't mind spending less if ST will do the same job.

3 hours of racing across the desert interrupted by a couple minutes of idling in the pits. Supertech is the go to oil!

My son has an 04 F150, 5.4 3 valve, 60K miles. He was using ST synthetic 5W30 5 qt. + 1 qt. 5W30 ST synthetic @ 5K mile OCI's. His next OCI he's going to start using the Havoline 6qt. box of PRO DS 5W30 with 1 qt. os ST synthetic 5W30. 1qt. of Havoline $8.16 VS 1 qt. of ST synthetic $4.79

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
As a lifetime Mobil1 user I'm trying the 5w-30 syn in one of my vehicles. At 500 miles I'm impressed with this oil. We'll see how long it holds up.

If your Wal Mart carries the Super Tech oil made by Warren Distribution it's basically their Mag1 product.

https://mag1.com/products/passenger...il/mag-1-full-synthetic-0w-20-motor-oil/

The dirty little secret is that a lot of oils will be better than Mobil1 and you are to be commended for giving another oil a shot. See how much smoother your engine may be.

It is all in the chemical composition of the oil, many, many people find a better oil than Mobil1 for their needs and are satisfied.

+2 on the advice that your oil choice will most likely be fine.

Originally Posted by talest
The dirty little secret is that a lot of oils will be better than Mobil1 and you are to be commended for giving another oil a shot. See how much smoother your engine may be.

It is all in the chemical composition of the oil, many, many people find a better oil than Mobil1 for their needs and are satisfied.

How will you know if an oil is better than another, other than the specs it may or may not meet?

How you know what the "chemical composition" is of an oil and how does that relate to the performance? What part of the chemical composition do you look at to tell if one is better than another?

Originally Posted by kschachn

How will you know if an oil is better than another, other than the specs it may or may not meet?

How you know what the "chemical composition" is of an oil and how does that relate to the performance? What part of the chemical composition do you look at to tell if one is better than another?

generic answer yes.

Then in other words you have no idea?

Didn't say that. Re-read the thread up to this point and continue.

Then in other words you have no idea?

Didn't say that. Re-read the thread up to this point and continue.

What you said was that a lot of oils will be better than Mobil 1, and that it was all in the chemical composition of the oil. As a result I assumed you knew what the "chemical composition" was and how the different chemical constituents made one oil better than another.

You can tell me and I'll try to understand. I have a minor in Chemistry so I can understand a little.

Cannot answer if something is better or not until better is defined.

Better is very vague. By one set of criteria, ST may be better. By another, it may not. But until you define better, it's a useless term.

the main difference between Mobil 1 and Supertech is the advertising budget . The API star burst means the oil meets or exceeds the specs. Use with confidence

Originally Posted by javacontour
Cannot answer if something is better or not until better is defined.

Better is very vague. By one set of criteria, ST may be better. By another, it may not. But until you define better, it's a useless term.

And therein lies the problem.

Let's recap. The OP is switching from Castrol Edge to ST. Who knows if that will be better for him. ka9mnx is trying the synthetic ST after a lifetime of Mobil1 and has to then decide if it is better. All of the oils are not the same, they will be a little bit different. But which one is better? And why are they different?

generic answer yes.

Quite the non answer. We used to have another member here from Texas and Global. Haven't heard from him lately.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Quite the non answer. We used to have another member here from Texas and Global. Haven't heard from him lately.

I wonder if that one knew anything about the chemical composition of oil?

We can define "better" by the demonstrated engine performance test data we have. The dexos1 Gen2 spec is earned by SuperTech full-syn, so we know that. Its a tougher spec than just SN. That makes SuperTech full syn perfectly good for most engines.

Actually, for the OP's Uber-Lyft style of daily driving (he said 6-8 hours per day), I'd go for:
Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20, good for 20,000 miles according to Mobil. Or Castrol Edge gold-jug 20k mile oil. This could save labor and time, as your driving means no short trips, and lots of accumulated miles.
Fram Ultra oil filter lasts 20,000 miles as well.
Fewer maintenance stops. It's Mobil's best formulation, and it does have almost all PAO base oil. Castrol Edge gold jug is presumably similar. They aren't kidding about it lasting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back