Buick Regal TourX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ctrcbob
I own one.

I like the cladding around the wheel well on the American (Buick) version. Keeps the paint chip free behind the wheels.

Made by Opel, part of the PSA Group. As mentioned above, Tour-X not advertised by Buick. There is also a German, British and Australian permutation. There may soon be a French version (Peugeot 508) . . .

Which is why Buick isn't doing as well as it should. Buicks are solid cars, and this wagon looks terrific.

GM doesn't even advertise the turbo Regal, which is a quick and entertaining car for a lot less $$$ than a BMW. The only ads we have seen are the stupid ones with "I don't see a Buick," and with aging sports figures hyping the cars, yapping in Manning's case about connectivity and in the other about how roomy the LaCrosse is (and Shaq O'Neal in a car makes any car look small).

I was looking at these hard two-three months ago.

- It is a little larger than what I would like in both length and width,
- the stupid 'auto-stop-start' can be easily defeated,
- difficult to find the color and options we want (smoked oyster exterior with tan interior),
- it does sit higher than a standard Regal due to taller tires,
- no clear answer regarding difference in suspension from Sedan,
- the big unknown is what will happen in a few years when OPEL/PSA's contract to supply these to Buick comes to an end
- still a nice looking car
- Buick is #4 on the latest JDPower survey while Volvo is #30+
- compared this against CPO versions of 2018 Volvo V60 CC

Will probably be looking at these again at year end.

I would buy one, EXCEPT for one problem: The Aisin automatic transmission. For some reason they couldn't install their own 9-speed GM automatic. The Aisin stinks. Bad, rushed programming is my guess. GM took a "Ship the dang thing anyway, regardless of how it performs."
This is the pre-Barra, bankrupt-GM attitude rearing its ugly head again.

"The eight-speed automatic upshifts as early as it can, often lugging the engine below 2000 rpm in seventh or eighth gear, as if following the commands of some phantom eco mode. But the TourX has no such setting—nor any sport mode, although it surely could use one. At most cruising speeds, the TourX feels as if it has half its horsepower, with anything less than mashing the accelerator producing only a lethargic climb in revs. When the transmission does eventually downshift, it rarely snaps cleanly into the appropriate second or third gear without first landing at some intermediate step along the way. The solution is to shift it yourself, which means prodding the gearshift lever fore and aft, as the TourX lacks paddle shifters. Even then, shifts are sedately delivered, leaving the driver plenty of time to ponder why this transmission is in this car. The answer: Buick reps have said that the Aisin eight-speed is just a stopgap measure until it can start using GM's nine-speed unit, perhaps as early as next year. Hope springs eternal."
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19481491/2018-buick-regal-tourx-test-review/

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I would buy one, EXCEPT for one problem: The Aisin automatic transmission.

I saw that review you quoted, but reading other reviews and comments from owners on Buick forums, it seems that most people have no problem with it. I suppose it depends on what you want out of this car. If you're expecting something sporty, this is not it.

With that said, third party companies do offer tunes for the TourX which not only improve performance, but also reprogram transmission behavior. Alas, there are consequences of such modifications, and you are right that GM should have done a better job with stock programming, as well as included a Sport mode. This goes back to the de-optioning that I mentioned earlier as they brought this car from Europe. The European Opel Insignia does have a Sport option. I can't imagine GM saved much by taking this option out of the TourX. Maybe they just wanted to separate TourX from Regal GS. "If you want a sporty Buick, here is your Regal GS, otherwise, here is your boring wagon to satisfy the traditional Buick audience."

I saw my second TourX on the road yesterday since we've been talking about it here for the past year or so. Just tossing that out there because they're like a sasquatch siting. I think they're a sweet looking ride.

Last edited:
I like them. I don't think they will be around for long though. Local Buick dealer had 2 of them on their lot a month ago, and they are still there.

Last edited:
briefly test drove a tour x on a whim. it is surprisingly fine enough to merit more consideration, if i really needed to add a car payment to my life.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I would buy one, EXCEPT for one problem: The Aisin automatic transmission.

I'd take an Aisin trans over a GM trans any day and twice on Tuesday.

The last thing I want is a 2 liter 4 cylinder powered, 3800 pound, AWD, mid sized wagon.

Oh wait, that thing would wipe the floor with my Jaguar X-Type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back