Mazda developing longitudinal inline 6....

Status
Not open for further replies.
LINK

Looks great to me....

Mazda-Vision-Coupe-concept-102.jpg

I wanted to vote for both choices.

It's exciting, but I have doubts it's going to happen.

Not unless Mazda is working with someone else to share the platform. FCA and Mazda working together. The body shown in the article looks like something that could have come from Pininfarina. That could be the best of both worlds. Italian designers for the body and the interior styling. Mazda developing the oily bits...

Something like that is the only way I see that happening. I don't think Mazda has enough money to pull this off alone.

And I'm a Mazda fan, FWIW

Small backseat. Looks good. Can look good.

It better not turn into a Rotary.

Funny how Car & Driver was heralding the demise of the in-line six in favor of the 4-cylinder only a couple of years ago. I love the in-line six! Especially if it is turbo-charged!

I like it. Nice looking car. Small back seat, long hood for I-6. Right wheel drive. Make a 4dr sedan and give BMW some competition. The only engine configuration better than an I-6 is a V-12. 2 I-6s bolted together
grin2.gif

Inline is the engine layout.

Longitudinal is how it is placed in the car. I.E. transverse, like most FWD cars, or longitudinal like most RWD cars.

Originally Posted by Pelican
But isn't inline & longitudinal the same thing//
shocked2.gif

This car could be a modern-day take on a Datsun 240Z with a longitudinal-mounted I6. This looks like a 4-door coupe.

Cool, what are those 23" tires? At least it has 3/4" of suspension travel. And the front nose wont scrap on anything.
That car as shown will Never be sold in the USA. It fails safety standards.

Originally Posted by talest
Small backseat. Looks good. Can look good.

It better not turn into a Rotary.

The only plans for a rotary engine are very small ones for battery extender duty.

Originally Posted by javacontour

Not unless Mazda is working with someone else to share the platform. FCA and Mazda working together. The body shown in the article looks like something that could have come from Pininfarina. That could be the best of both worlds. Italian designers for the body and the interior styling. Mazda developing the oily bits...

Something like that is the only way I see that happening. I don't think Mazda has enough money to pull this off alone.

How do you envision Fiat in all of this? I would guess Toyota but they don't have a need unless Lexus is thinking of a new design.

I do like the evolution of the design. Quite the long hood.

I only said it because they already do a car for Fiat, the 124 Spider is a bit of both, albeit using the turbocharged Fiat engine instead of a Mazda mill.

I could see something like this being a joint platform for Mazda and Alfa Romeo.

Doesn't mean it will. Just something I see as possible and a good combination of relative strengths.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by javacontour

How do you envision Fiat in all of this? I would guess Toyota but they don't have a need unless Lexus is thinking of a new design.

I do like the evolution of the design. Quite the long hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back