Monroe Quick Struts - Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of replacing the front suspension with Monroe Quick Struts - 2010 Santa Fe v6.
Just wondering if anyone had opinions - good or bad.

Thanks
NM

I put Gabriel Ready Mount struts in the front end of my S70 about 3 years ago... Installation was a breeze and they're holding up fine. Monroe are probably better quality.
49.gif

Wow - - -thanks.
They get some bashing on other forums.

I guess with a lifetime warranty ----- it's not bad.

I have the Monroe struts on my Corolla now. They are ok. I think if I had to do it over I'd go with KYB. But they will be on there for the duration now.

Last edited:
Bad, on multiple vehicles. My receptionists 02 Civic has had front left replaced 2xs under warranty, and front right 3xs. Maybe 4 years on them both. Lifetime warranty does not cover installation or alignments.

I have them on an 05 Impala. They're good for the price, good enough that I'd buy them again.

I used them on all four corners on my wife's '02 Corolla, a pretty lightweight, simple car. The rears were fine but the fronts were under-dampened and under-sprung. They felt like they were worn out right out of the box. The top mounts were a bit cheesy and they started getting noisy after about a year. The top nuts would loosen up easily on both and the bearing failed on one of them, which was replaced with a like-OEM KYB part.

That said, Toyota lists something like five different coil springs for the front of the Corolla depending on what transmission and if it has A/C. Monroe chose one spring rate that worked 'well enough' for all of them, but it was too light for her 4-speed auto trans and A/C car. And regardless of the too-light spring rate, the dampening rate was too soft also. But again, the rears were fine, and that's probably because the OEMs were the same across the board regardless of what was on the front.

Cliff's notes: Your experience may vary but the quality just didn't seem to be there.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
That said, Toyota lists something like five different coil springs for the front of the Corolla depending on what transmission and if it has A/C. Monroe chose one spring rate that worked 'well enough' for all of them, but it was too light for her 4-speed auto trans and A/C car. And regardless of the too-light spring rate, the dampening rate was too soft also. But again, the rears were fine, and that's probably because the OEMs were the same across the board regardless of what was on the front.

01.gif

At one time, Monroe was my go to shock/strut. And once I put'em in, it would be the last time I'd have to install them for that car. Now when I use'em, even the quick struts, I have to replace them in a couple of years or so.

Yeah, Monroe shocks and struts used to be an upgrade to the worn, basic OEM stuff. Putting Gas-Matics on an old G-body Malibu or anything similar was a HUGE handling upgrade.

Now OEM stuff is great and Monroes are cheap, usually good enough replacement parts.

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

Easy to replace and you don't have to worry about buying all the pieces separately and using a spring compressor. They save you a lot of time and money.

I'm not sure if your vehicle is affected but, I looked at a 2009 this week and the frame was rotten. You may want to also inspect yours before spending any time and money.

I have about 40k on my truck's Monroe shocks already.

Not sure what a reasonable expected service life is, but they are about due for a replacement.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Wow - - -thanks.
They get some bashing on other forums.

I guess with a lifetime warranty ----- it's not bad.

They count on owners not having the car after a year or two, so they are designed to last 2 or 3 years. Lifetime warranty not bad if you keep it a long time and don't mind redoing the job on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by nicholas
2010 Santa Fe v6.

How many miles? Springs rarely wear out. Why not just replace the strut for a fraction of the price?

Yes, I've read a lot of bashing, too. Personally, though, they've worked fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back