Cricket Wireless Cell Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if anyone here uses or has used Cricket Wireless. They have a pretty good deal now 5 phones unlimited for $125/mo. Currently with T-Mobile same 5 phones unlimited but cost is $183/mo.

Cricket is using ATT towers and ATT is pretty good in this area near Louisville. I have read some reviews that say Cricket is throttled back or much slower than normal ATT service.
If you have had it how does it compare with other service?
Thanks

Check out Xfinity Mobile. Runs on Verizon network which is unbeatable (I'm an ex-T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T customer) and unlimited talk and text is free if you have Comcast internet or TV. Data is $12/GB or $45 for unlimited. I'm so happy with it!

Last edited:
I have had cricket 2 gb $30 plan for the last couple of years. I believe it is slower than the att postpaid service we have, speedtest just now shows 8mb dl 1.38mb ul. I don't use much data off WiFi so I don't have any issue with the speed. Voice and text always seems fine, the service app works well. I regularly shop for other services, but for my needs at this price, I don't see anything better.

Last time I checked Cricket was throttled to about 8Mb/s on their highest plan, then de-prioritized after 22Gb. That would be fine for anything but 4K video. Lower plans are throttled to 3Mb/s and SD video only. Depending on your data usage, look at Google Fi too.

Used them for several years, no complaints. Even the throttled speeds were plenty for any video that I would watch. Only reason I stopped using them was the wife went off and got her own service (for some reason....women). So I switched over to FirstNet (ATT's first responder network).

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
We travel a lot my problem with cricket is a lot of the minor carriers don't have very good National coverage.

Cricket is a sub-brand of AT&T, so same towers, same coverage.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Check out Xfinity Mobile. Runs on Verizon network which is unbeatable (I'm an ex-T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T customer) and unlimited talk and text is free if you have Comcast internet or TV. Data is $12/GB or $45 for unlimited. I'm so happy with it!

Only problem is if you use a lot of data Comcast says they WILL reduce your speeds after 20gb to ~1.5mbps download. My usage resets on the 24th and I've used 18gb already. Otherwise it's a pretty good deal since it uses Verizon's network.

That Cricket plan limits you to 3mbps download speeds, and after 22gb they can reduce it even further. Their unlimited extra plan is the same as what you're getting now, for $180/month/5 lines, but with T-Mobile you have a higher threshold before they may throttle you (50gb vs 22 on cricket).

With T-Mobile I've used 100+Gb in a month and never got throttled. don't judge me, we didn't have WiFi for about a year because Comcast refused to send a tech out to replace their line
mad.gif

Been using them for several years. No issues. Customer service is very good, better than ATT or Sprint. I have three phones on an unlimited data plan for $90.00/mn.

I'm good in NH. $35/mo. pay as you go unlimited w/ frees new phone.

No problems for a few years. I do need to replace an old Nokia Windows phone due to MS pulling app support.

Ive never liked android OS though ....

I have use Cricket for years and have the old unlimited plan and watch Shows and TV all the time with no issues.

Native ATT tower coverage with throttled LTE data.

I have never had a problem with it. I'm not sure why anyone would need over 4MB down on a basic smartphone.

We have it on iphone SE's and it has been pretty good.

The only time I have trouble is when I get out of the city and where a real ATT contract phone would roam to another provider but cricket just dies.

I used to swear by ATT. (Cricket probably the same). Now I swear at them. I switched to
T-Mobil. (MetroPCS probably the same).

With ATT I would get dropped or interrupted calls. Never happens with T-Mobil.

I'm paying half with T-Mobil vice ATT.

ATT forced me to stop using my favorite phone. Not a smart phone but a very intelligent dumb phone. It was a Motorola SLVR L9. Love that phone. One thing I loved about it was that it would give me an audible beep when I would lose or regain tower signal. No other phone has that feature. ATT forced me to give it up saying they would no longer support it because it is a 2G phone. I only used it as a phone, never for data. Did not matter to ATT. I had/have an iPhone5 for data.
Purchased an iPhone5S to replace the L9.

My ATT coverage only slightly better out in the rural areas of TX and NM, but because
T-Mobil costs so much less, I can live with it.

Next time I go to Europe, I will take my L9 with me and see if buying a SIM card through
Orange, F-SFR, Wind or Vodafone will work.
If not, I'll just use my i5 with a European SIM card number and keep my i5S with my American Number in case family or neighbors have to get hold of me.

I've had the 4 line package for about a year. $100/month all in for unlimited everything. Love it. No issues at all. The greatest thing about cricket is the price you see is what you pay.

Originally Posted by JTK
I've had the 4 line package for about a year. $100/month all in for unlimited everything. Love it. No issues at all. The greatest thing about cricket is the price you see is what you pay.

Unlimited data as long as your data usage pattern will allow this:
Data speeds limited to max of 3 Mbps. For content we can identify as video, streaming speed limited to max of 1.5 Mbps (Standard Definition quality, about 480p). After 22GB of data usage on a line in a plan cycle, Cricket may slow data speeds on that line during periods of network congestion.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by JTK

Unlimited data as long as your data usage pattern will allow this:
Data speeds limited to max of 3 Mbps. For content we can identify as video, streaming speed limited to max of 1.5 Mbps (Standard Definition quality, about 480p). After 22GB of data usage on a line in a plan cycle, Cricket may slow data speeds on that line during periods of network congestion.

3Mbps, that's gross.

I use cricket. It is fine reception wise. The $25/line family plan unlimited is throttled to 3Mbps, but the others from my understanding shouldn't be. So far I like it.

Comcast via Verizon is ok if you need Verizon (they aren't as good as ATT out in California), I cancel and sign on internet every single year so I'd probably need to go through this every year, not worth it for me.

I have used Cricket for several years. On the 4/$100 "unlimited" plan.

As said, same coverage and signal as when I was on AT&T, but 1/3 the price.

Yes it is "only" 3Mbs, yes I am limited to 22gigs/month, but I don't care. I can do everything I need to with no speed issues, my kids (13 and 16) can as well. Not sure what people are doing to need 100 Mbs on a phone, or why 22 gigs is not enough, but not my problem.

I have been debating switching my wife to Xfinity wireless, she uses no data, so it would be only ~$3/month for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back