Storing fruit together causes spoilage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black raspberries were on sale so I got 2 small 6oz packs. Kept them in a bowl along with 2 pears and 3 bananas and a plantain. Ate the first pack within 2 days. When I get to the second pack, it was covered in fuzz. Had to throw it out. Heard bananas release a gas that speeds up ripening. Is this what happened? Do I have to quarantine bananas from all other fruits?

In general, I find all these store bought berries in the little plastic cases are susceptible to growing mold, regardless if you store them near other fruits or not. The moisture trapped in these containers is a perfect breeding ground for fungus.

And yes, I keep berries in the fridge. Bananas stay outside.

I refrigerate all my berries I buy. Raspberries and blackberries seem most susceptible to growing mold quicker than blueberries and strawberries. Consequently, I get only one package at a time unless I know I am going to use them with 24 hrs or so.

Ripening bananas emit a lot of ethylene gas and will cause the other fruit to spoil more quickly. You can also use this to your advantage, making other fruit ripen quicker.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
I refrigerate all my berries I buy. Raspberries and blackberries seem most susceptible to growing mold quicker than blueberries and strawberries. Consequently, I get only one package at a time unless I know I am going to use them with 24 hrs or so.

Then wouldn't half the packages in the store go bad? Can't image they would turn around a whole caseful in one day.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Then wouldn't half the packages in the store go bad? Can't image they would turn around a whole caseful in one day.

I have rejected packages in the store, so I am careful about what I purchase so they will last. I can't speak to any produce department's procedures or refrigeration processes. I am the end user.

Originally Posted by atikovi

In grocery stores around here, many are already growing white mold right on the shelf, if you look closely.

refrigerate berries and dont wash them until you are going to consume.

bananas keep on the counter.. unless you want them to ripen then keep them in a paper bag on top of the fridge or other warm spot.

QP- Yes many berries arrive at the store already growing fuzz.

Last edited:
I've read that you Do Not store Potatoes next to Onions.

From the Internet:
Do not store with onions, the gas given off by onions accelerate the decay of potatoes. The same thing will happen if stored next to apples.

Last edited:
I've been trying to explain this to my wife for YEARS. She puts bananas, apples, tomatoes and whatever else in this big glass bowl in the kitchen. Everything over ripens and goes bad so fast I can hardly get a few days worth of bananas. I break a few off and put them on a high shelf she can't reach. Other stuff, she leaves in the plastic produce bags and they usually get soft so fast I never get any.
The BEST was last summer. She wakes me up at six am on a Sunday telling me the dog peed all over the kitchen. I wake up all week at 5 am, please don't wake me up on Sunday with nonsense.
Anyway, we go to the kitchen and there is this clear liquid all over the floor. I say that isn't dog pee. Then what is it, she asks. I get down and start wiping it up and get closer and closer to this brown paper grocery bag on the floor that I look inside and see a watermelon. I lift the bag to move it and wipe the floor and the whole bottom falls out and the watermelon falls apart. I said here's your problem. She said I just bought that two days ago. I said you should have taken it out of the bag. She STILL leaves produce in the bags and 3/4 of it still goes in the garbage.
PLUS... I KNEW my good boy didn't pee on the floor.

NYE, I feel your pain. My wife has food issues that I've been accommodating for yrs. I guess I'm enabling, it is a battle I don't choose to fight

Yep. I choose not to fight most battles. She'll see one day after I kick the bucket all the behind the scenes stuff I do to keep things running smoothly so she can glide through life.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Yep. I choose not to fight most battles. She'll see one day after I kick the bucket all the behind the scenes stuff I do to keep things running smoothly so she can glide through life.

NYEngineer...I understand exactly and sympathise...it's the same here...exactly the same...I wear a worker bee amulet around my neck to remind me every day, and have an affirmational poster next to the bed (photo below).

Word of advice 'though...don't do this...

One day my wife found me marking up the inside rubbish bin with a sharpie, and I started hacking into it with an exacto knife.

When Quizzed, I responded that I was cutting a slot in it, to make her life much more convenient.

Instead of buying all that stuff and storing ut in the fridge while we wait for it to rot enough to throw out, or speeding the process as you've described on the floor, she could just slide $20s through the slot into the bin, and not even have to travel to the store, lug all that stuff around, stock the fridge, clean the fridge, or the floor.

Didn't go down well, but was worth it.

I swear that I won't be taken notice of until the day the credit card stops working.

20190511_103748.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back