To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 08z06
Do what I did. By a Z06 Corvette.
banana2.gif

Smart man!

After 47 years of riding I sold my bike and never looked back. There are way too many drivers today who just don't pay attention to their surroundings, making MC riding far too dangerous. I'll never own another bike. Tell your snooty Harley riding coworkers to go stuff themselves...

I forgot to mention the jeebies continue in the rural areas if I'm moving through a nice road that has woods just off the shoulder. These jeebies are due to riding this type of scenery in 2015 and hitting a deer that ran out, which luckily I walked away from with only a really bruised left shin, but totaled my 2013 Ducati crotch. well, not technically a crotch-- a multistrada, but she was 467 lbs dry and 160 hp ... almost crotch rocket territory... I was clad in full armored gear at the time. Ever since that I prefer roads with yards or fields to where you can eyeball any critters that might be considering a road crossing as you approach.

Deer hit was couple yrs before my really bad accident. Replaced with the same model Ducati few yrs newer and that's the one I went down hard from and got busted up. Guess you can't fix stupid. Or can you? I was 53 yrs old for the bad one, now 56. Dang it when you're 4 yrs away from 60 you just start to look at things different including if your aging body will take another one as well...

I really appreciate the replies and support, guys.

Man I had a bad crash when I was what, 22? separated my shoulder skinned my a$$. Had to ride two hours home on bent forks and half a clutch level (backroads) and I learned my lesson. People do not look and they are more of a risk than your riding skill. I quit riding. I got more important things to live for. When I get that itch to go fast it is going to be a sports car or maybe a side by side that the fiancee and I can chill around in and have a little fun. Some things are more important man.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I forgot to mention the jeebies continue in the rural areas if I'm moving through a nice road that has woods just off the shoulder. These jeebies are due to riding this type of scenery in 2015 and hitting a deer that ran out, which luckily I walked away from with only a really bruised left shin, but totaled my 2013 Ducati crotch. well, not technically a crotch-- a multistrada, but she was 467 lbs dry and 160 hp ... almost crotch rocket territory... I was clad in full armored gear at the time. Ever since that I prefer roads with yards or fields to where you can eyeball any critters that might be considering a road crossing as you approach.

Deer hit was couple yrs before my really bad accident. Replaced with the same model Ducati few yrs newer and that's the one I went down hard from and got busted up. Guess you can't fix stupid. Or can you? I was 53 yrs old for the bad one, now 56. Dang it when you're 4 yrs away from 60 you just start to look at things different including if your aging body will take another one as well...

I really appreciate the replies and support, guys.

If you aren't enjoying being on two wheels, then you've probably got your answer. You don't need to justify anything to anyone.

If I or my wife ever lose our passion for riding, or the risks outweigh the rewards for us, we'll stop with no regrets.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I was lunatic on a bicycle as a kid. Loved riding all day. I would love a motorcycle now but I know I'll get hurt on one so I don't bother.

Me on a sled, which is why it's been fortunate for me that we've had some bad winters with little snow.
wink.gif

Sounds like you've lost your nerve - probably time to walk away. I love riding, but if I had a bad crash, who knows, maybe I'd give it up?

It appears drivers "over there" have virtually no motorcycle awareness.

I don't like to drive in cities anymore, which is what it sounds like most of those here who pack it in do. I'm on twisty back roads soon as the engine has a little warmth in it. Having to stay alert to stay alive is the whole point of riding....switching off on a bike is a death sentence.

when to take a hiatus from riding or when to stop riding permanently is a personal decision and it is up to you! if doing a hiatus...treat the bike like a long term storage (fresh fuel w/stabilizer or drain the system, fresh oil-filter change, fresh rear diff fluid - if applicable, fresh brake fluid, fresh coolant, fog oil the engine, remove battery & tender charge it, wash & wax, slightly overinflate tires, and a quality cover)

Alleycat says:

One summer about 20 years ago I was dusting off the '69 T500 zuki weed whacker on the maiden summer cobweb burner. Got on the highway, was bringing him up to 100 when I felt a small wobble in the rear. Didn't think a ton of much of it but then the light changed Yellow 50 yards ahead and I had to back down. As I was backing down the rear wobble got REAL bad. I was able to keep him upright to the light. Thats where I saw I lost the back tire.

Had to push the little oil burner home. Got saved that day.
Again.
[Linked Image]

I wonder how old the tire was, if it had any sort of speed rating, etc. It sounds like an example of poor maintenance, and a lack of pre-trip inspection. If the tire wasn't ancient, was properly inflated, and was rated for the speed it achieved, then it could just be bad luck, which isn't unheard of.

I know if I worried about all the what-ifs in life, I'd never leave the safety of a padded room.

"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

It's pretty clear it's his poser colleagues who are "butt-hurt". Since they are the ones with fragile egos that can't possibly be seen riding with anything but a Harley...

Me, I've owned all makes and models, and don't care what anyone rides.

Originally Posted by 02SE
It's pretty clear it's his poser colleagues who are "butt-hurt". Since they are the ones with fragile egos that can't possibly be seen riding with anything but a Harley...

Me, I've owned all makes and models, and don't care what anyone rides.

With all the idiots in vehicles on their cell phones.... maybe its not a bad idea to stop riding a motorcycle.

Enjoying a convertible is better than being in a casket and 6 feet under. It happened to a friend's husband when an elderly guy made a left turn and the guy was killed on impact, old guy misjudged the distance and closure rate of motorcycle. ...ž

You may recall I've talked about witnessing friends that were killed while riding, and some who were just injured severely. And we've known many more who have been injured or killed.

The wife and I know the risks.

We've both been riding since we were young kids. Most of our riding is on roadcourse tracks, sand dunes on our dirtbikes, or lightly traveled two-lane roads. We have some fun cars too. For us, the fun cars while enjoyable, will never compare to the bikes.

But only the OP can decide what is right for him.

Last edited:
I'm surprised "butt-hurt" made it through the censor.

I thought Guzzi and BMW usually got a pass from even the hard core because they are (at least historically) fairly unique. Although these days Klim clad BMW GS are pretty common. And doesn't (didn't) Sonny Barger want to confer to ST1100's?

Originally Posted by bigal51
"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

Congratulations on confirming yourself to be a poser. Only people I *ever* hear call other brands "metrics" are the poser crowd. Maybe go put your doo rag on and stand at a mirror admiring how harsh you're going to look out on the streets.

Riding M/C since about 12 years old and I am not by any means an "expert" the big mistake M/C riders make is thinking they have any kind of right of way.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Anyhow, there's another factor. In about the past year, I've been getting these random hinky feelings, heebie jeebies if you will, that just come over me when I'm riding, like a feeling that I'm going to be in another serious motorcycle accident and not get another chance like I did with the last one.

The future is unwritten and can not be predicted. However, in the aviation maintenance world, we are taught to act on certain hunches. The thought being that much processing in the human brain goes on in the unconscious level. That the brain picks up on unrecognized clues and/or that something forgotten remains hidden just below the surface. Such thinking may not apply to operating a vehicle. But it certainly applies to maintaining one.

I no longer own any motorcycles. My health declined, I get very tired and on my last dirt bike ride, my reaction time was so slow, I was reacting to things 10 feet behind me. No longer one with the machine.

The good news is that as a recreational motorcyclist, you can choose good riding conditions and locations. The bad news is that other traffic still exists. In General Aviation flying, I can choose to avoid thunderstorms, keep sufficient fuel in my tanks, never fly over water, maintain sufficient altitude, fly stabilized approaches and so on. I can eliminate the largest percentage of accident causes by making good choices. Motorcyclists can't do this, as many motorcycle injuries involve other vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back