Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by Leo99
Do Sears stores still exist?

No.

I have one about 1.5 miles from me.

Originally Posted by jharrison
I think Craftsman tools were like middle ground and that's gone. You have Snap-on and China at the two polar ends of the spectrum with *nothing* left in the middle.

You would think there's a market somewhere there (Amazon??), but I guess that's why I don't run a retail empire...

Taiwanese made tools are usually very good and affordable.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by ET16
The latest Craftsman stuff I saw at Lowe's was made in Taiwan.

That would definitely be a step up from china made stuff.

That's old school thinking. Better smell the coffee! China is moving ahead fast!

Sears management <> good business decisions for the workers or customers. At Sears, good business is defined at extracting wealth for Eddie Lambert. The rest of you can get trickled down upon.

The shriveled carcass will be dumped soon.

Rod

Stanley Black and Decker own the Craftsman brand now and they have for some time. They also make Porter Cable, Irwin, DeWalt and a few others.

Sears died a long time ago.

Originally Posted by jackz
Amazon just purchased two empty malls in Cleveland O in Euclid & North Randall east suburbs of Cleve.for future use.

Both those locations have been remodeled and have been operating as an Amazon distribution center for a while now.

The closest Sears to me is now about 50 miles away. Slowest death I have ever seen.

My local Lowe's is chock full of Craftsman tools. Its almost ridiculous how much Craftsman branding is going on there. Of course, made in China/Taiwan tools, at made in America prices. I'd avoid the line honestly.

You can get similar quality tools at Harbor Freight for 30-40% the cost of these rather expensive, "name brand" tools.

I don't even know where there is a local Sears store left the Three we had in a 25 mile radius are all gone. The little that ran that company ran it into the ground and made himself rich.

Armstrong made in USA went bye bye I think, and they were making Craftsman. Armstrong was top quality. I commend Sears for keeping the Craftsman made in USA alive for as long as they did.

Taiwanese made tools are usually very good and affordable.

I recently purchased from Auto Zone a 5/8" spark plug socket with a 10" swivel bar and magnetic socket all as one unit. It's made in Taiwan and appears to be of very good quality overall. The price was only $13.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by ET16
The latest Craftsman stuff I saw at Lowe's was made in Taiwan.

That would definitely be a step up from china made stuff.

That's old school thinking. Better smell the coffee! China is moving ahead fast!

I hear ya. I install tons of Chinese made Radiators and Ac compressors every year with very low return rates.

Originally Posted by jharrison
So why would I go to Sears instead of Harbor Freight and why do they think this was a good business decision?

You seem to be under the incorrect assumption that "Made in China" = "Junk" and that's simply not the case. The level of quality is dictated by the "brand". You can get high-quality products made in China and pure junk made in the US.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I don't even know where there is a local Sears store left the Three we had in a 25 mile radius are all gone. The little a$$ that ran that company ran it into the ground and made himself rich.

They couldn't tear down the store at the Tacoma mall fast enough. It literally closed and was turned to rubble right away.

Lampert has been bleeding Sears out for years.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
The modern replacement for Sears is toolsdelivered.com.

Not by a long shot, their prices are okay but they beat you up on shipping and have a very limited selection.
There are lots of places with different prices on the same products with the same or lower prices and no shipping, you have to shop around.

There's a really good brand of Taiwanese tools called Tekton. I've never had a stinker from them.

It's debatable whether Taiwan is China. Most Taiwanese would vehemently disagree if they were allowed to but China makes sure that doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back