Cylinder lubrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do most modern engines pump oil through the crank & con rods to the wrist pins in order to lubricate the cylinder walls? Has this become the standard method for piston/cylinder lubrication? Maybe it would be easier to list those designs still using splash or squirters? Thanks.

Engines lube the cyl walls by the oil from the lower ends of the con rods. Squirters squirt oil to under the pistons for added cooling.

Originally Posted by CT8
Squirters squirt oil to under the pistons for added cooling.

These are pretty darn rare... piston squirters don't exist on 99% of the car and light truck engines out there.

Diesels, Yes.
Gas engines, not hardly ever.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Do most modern engines pump oil through the crank & con rods to the wrist pins in order to lubricate the cylinder walls? Has this become the standard method for piston/cylinder lubrication?

No - - almost no engines do this.

Originally Posted by CT8
Engines lube the cyl walls by the oil from the lower ends of the con rods.

Are you saying that most modern gasoline engines lubricate the cylinder walls by flinging oil from the crank throws (lower con rods)?
Doesn't this mean that the crankshaft is churning through the oil? I just want to know how the cylinder walls and piston rings are getting oil.

Originally Posted by CT8

Are you saying that most modern gasoline engines lubricate the cylinder walls by flinging oil from the crank throws (lower con rods)?
Doesn't this mean that the crankshaft is churning through the oil? I just want to know how the cylinder walls and piston rings are getting oil.

All engines have some clearance between the connecting rod sides and the crankshaft or another connecting rod in shared pin designs. The oil that is pushed out of these clearances is then flung onto the cylinder walls and wrist pins. That is how cylinder wall lubrication is accomplished on most engines.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by CT8

These are pretty darn rare... piston squirters don't exist on 99% of the car and light truck engines out there.

Diesels, Yes.

They are primarily present on HiPo mills, so yeah, I wouldn't say they are overly common.

Originally Posted by CT8

They are lubricated with the "spray" that comes out from between the rod and crank. I've seen setups where there is a small notch in either the rod or the crank to facilitate more "spray".

Couple in my driveway … not really HiPo but they do alright

C0C94B60-86AD-448B-B8BD-D03726B530C3.png

Most new engines these days are very high performance. I used to have the con rods on my big block Chevrolet engines drilled for piston crown cooling since I built my first one in 1972.

Originally Posted by CT8

You need to look in an engine with the oil pan off .No modern engine crank shaft dips in the oil in the. pan. Besides pistons are oval when cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

Diesels, Yes. Gas engines, not hardly ever.
That used to be true. Squirters are common on gasoline engines now. Even my Prius supposedly has them.

I know my Mazda FS engine in my Protege5 had them. I believe the L5-VE in my 2012 Mazda3 also has them.

Apparently Mazda likes them.

I think other engines in their history and line up have used them as well.

Originally Posted by CT8

Diesels, Yes.

Are you sure about this, even for modern DITs?

Growing number … the GM V8's alone would put a bunch out there …

Know my 16 Escape 2L EB has underside piston squirters that is claimed to cool the piston and pin lube. I've heard all the EB engines employ them.
DD

Mt 2013 Tacoma 4.0 lt. has squirter's that shoot oil under the pistons for lubrication under the cyl, The bottom of the piston behind the ring lands allow the oil too migrate to the cyl. walls .

Internal pressure (turbulences) pressurize the crankcase and the oil is forced through the rings to the walls .

The wrist pin because of all of the above gets oiled by the oil from under the piston,

My 1976 Moto Guzzi Motorcycle had squirter's(oil holes ) indexed to the crank and timed to align with the holes in the con rods and squirts oil same as explained above. Moto Guzzi to date still uses squitter's

So to state that squirter's are not commonly in use is a slight misstatement . Not in my application.

TOMB

Last edited:
GM 3.6L V6's have oil piston squirters too, and have for at least 10 years. ... It appears they are very common these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back