The Debate: Toughest Road Passenger Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by sloinker
Load range E trailer tires.

A reputable tire dealer would not install these on a car.

It wouldn't be a reputable tire dealer at all.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
For tractors atleast, I've read that older/hardened up tires do seem to avoid punctures better than new soft tires. So maybe a 10 year old set of tires from the wreckers would get the least punctures?

Dumbest reply of the day.

Why?

Why?

These tires, per DOT regulations, are clearly marked on the sidewall "FOR TRAILER USE ONLY"

Texas is one of those states that does inspect and cite for "Non-DOT approved tires on passenger cars"

If you are in an accident, and you have these tires on your car, the insurance company can LEGALLY deny any and all liability for damages.

If you read the fine print on your insurance policy, it says you will maintain your vehicle is safe condition in order for your insurance to be in effect.

I saw some Continental commercial tires in 205/65/15 that were $200 apiece (yikes) and a load range much higher, for some specific van/ truck application.

Those would be "tough", but jarring, and four times the price of a Star-Fire, making the gamble not worthwhile.

Search for your mystery size, then sort descending by most expensive first. Might find some oddballs in there.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I saw some Continental commercial tires in 205/65/15 that were $200 apiece (yikes) and a load range much higher, for some specific van/ truck application.

Those would be "tough", but jarring, and four times the price of a Star-Fire, making the gamble not worthwhile.

Search for your mystery size, then sort descending by most expensive first. Might find some oddballs in there.

Conti is now making the VancoFourSeasons in smaller sizes to fit the Transit Connect and NV200. And since the NV200 is used as NYC's Taxi of the Future, I'm sure it will hold up to the roads in Manhattan.

Some thoughts:

As a tire engineer who looked very closely at field performance, I always struggled to understand how I could judge the differences between tires with regard to road hazards. The fact that these are random events made things especially difficult. Plus, I expected the difference between tires to be relatively small - in the big scheme of things.

The best study I saw was conducted by what is now called the US Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA). They inspected a lot of tires being disposed of for various conditions and made the database available to any member who wished to view it.

I took that database and tried to sort out things - and among many things I looked at was road hazards. Bottomline: I couldn't find any correlation that passed an even reasonable level of statistical significance, let alone a significance at standard levels (95%).

Needless to say, I find this discussion interesting - particularly from the "fooling humans into thinking they have found the secrets" point of view.

Originally Posted by edyvw
So far I figured that Bridgestone is absolute magnet for nails. I have a feeling it will attract nail from 10ft away.

+1
Of all the tire brands that I have owned, the Bridgestones have been the worst about getting nails and screws in them. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have experienced this phenomenon with several sets of them on several different vehicles over the years.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Some thoughts:

As a tire engineer who looked very closely at field performance, I always struggled to understand how I could judge the differences between tires with regard to road hazards. The fact that these are random events made things especially difficult. Plus, I expected the difference between tires to be relatively small - in the big scheme of things.

The best study I saw was conducted by what is now called the US Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA). They inspected a lot of tires being disposed of for various conditions and made the database available to any member who wished to view it.

I took that database and tried to sort out things - and among many things I looked at was road hazards. Bottomline: I couldn't find any correlation that passed an even reasonable level of statistical significance, let alone a significance at standard levels (95%).

Needless to say, I find this discussion interesting - particularly from the "fooling humans into thinking they have found the secrets" point of view.

Thanks for your comment. This is sort of where my friend and I ended up in our discussion insomuch we hadn't noticed any significant differences between them when it came to punctures and road hazards - at least in our own experience. Various levels of grip and treadwear, and seasonal differences for good reason, but nothing that struck us as "this is an indestructible tire head and shoulders above the rest."

Hence the question to the board.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by eljefino

Conti is now making the VancoFourSeasons in smaller sizes to fit the Transit Connect and NV200. And since the NV200 is used as NYC's Taxi of the Future, I'm sure it will hold up to the roads in Manhattan.

Those tires are awful. My friend got his Transit stuck in his dry gravel driveway with those.

I have Cooper ST Maxx tires in 10 ply E-rated tires on my truck. They come with Armor-Tek. When they were new I picked up a screw in them that flattened the tire. Learn how to install tire plugs and carry a good air compressor or better yet a CO2 tank for blowing up the tire. My tires are far more durable than any passenger car tire so...

Having used both the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 and eNTYRE C/S I am very impressed with their durability (and performance). Checking out both of them before they were mounted they felt rugged, tough. The eNTYRE C/S has aramid fibers in the sidewalls for extra durability.

I spent a couple of years in South East Asia where I seen a brand named Maxxis Tyre that were popular. Being the tire geek I am, I stopped by a Maxxis shop in Thailand and checked out their passenger, and tire truck tires. They were very durable feeling, definitely what is needed for a lot of those third world crater dotted roads. I see that Maxxis is also sold here, and I would give them a go, if for some reason I wanted to stray from Nokian. I don't know if the Maxxis lineup in Asia would be the same lineup as here, but worth checking out.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
For tractors atleast, I've read that older/hardened up tires do seem to avoid punctures better than new soft tires. So maybe a 10 year old set of tires from the wreckers would get the least punctures?

If you think about it, a nail kicked up by the front tire may actually stick in the rear tire before it gets trapped between the tire and the road. A harder tire would resist this slightly better than a new soft tire. Also a nail would have to be more perfectly aligned to penetrate a harder tread surface. I'd think most people would rather have newer tires, but if you only care about puncture resistance, a harder rubber compound should be better.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

If you think about it, a nail kicked up by the front tire may actually stick in the rear tire before it gets trapped between the tire and the road. A harder tire would resist this slightly better than a new soft tire. Also a nail would have to be more perfectly aligned to penetrate a harder tread surface. I'd think most people would rather have newer tires, but if you only care about puncture resistance, a harder rubber compound should be better.

Allow me to add that rubber is orders of magnitude softer than pretty much every other solid material - meaning that a nail fairly easily penetrates a tire, regardless of whether it is hard rubber or soft rubber. That difference is pretty small in the big scheme of things.

Originally Posted by Voleak
Having used both the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 and eNTYRE C/S I am very impressed with their durability (and performance). Checking out both of them before they were mounted they felt rugged, tough. The eNTYRE C/S has aramid fibers in the sidewalls for extra durability.

I spent a couple of years in South East Asia where I seen a brand named Maxxis Tyre that were popular. Being the tire geek I am, I stopped by a Maxxis shop in Thailand and checked out their passenger, and tire truck tires. They were very durable feeling, definitely what is needed for a lot of those third world crater dotted roads. I see that Maxxis is also sold here, and I would give them a go, if for some reason I wanted to stray from Nokian. I don't know if the Maxxis lineup in Asia would be the same lineup as here, but worth checking out.

Maxxis looks interesting? however in my size they only have the MA-202 available in the US? Made in Taiwan. All the good ones are in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back