Accuracy Observation- Frontier 5.56 55gr Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick accuracy observation if anyone has considered these before- Frontier 5.56x45 55 grain "match".I went to the range a few weeks ago since it had been a while since the AR was run.

Rifle:
- Palmetto State 16 inch nitride midlength (not free floated)
- Geissele SSA-E trigger
- Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle

100 yards, winds were calm. First run was 5 "fouling" shots followed by 5 aimed shots with supported front, non supported rear. The group it returned was tighter than any of the other ammo that day, so I decided to support the front and rear and try again.

Result was a 1.06 inch 5 shot group. Only had one box of this ammo, so no opportunity to try more groups, but I did order more. Not bad for a budget upper and rounds that can be found for .33 center per.

No signs of overpressure or violent ejection as shown by inspecting spent casings.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Just curious what did that stuff run you. I don't really buy much ammo as I'm a reloader

Midway has a box of 150 for $49.99 currently. Free shipping too. That's what I just purchased. Frontier does a couple different 55 grain loads (not to mention 5.56 and 223), this is the "match" 5.56 one as opposed to the standard FMJ. If you're going to buy some, recommend a double check before checkout to make sure what you want is what's in your cart.

Years ago , I purchased some " factory reloads " with 50 or 55 grain match bullets . Best accuracy I have ever gotten . 5 shots in a dime , with a 24" bull barrel upper , with that ammo . Otherwise , 5 in a quarter .

I normally shoot my own reloads . The Hornady 55 grain FMJBT is the most accurate bulk / economy bullets I have tried .

An AR should shoot 1" to 2" at 100 yards off of sand bags .

If your eyesight is up to it , you should be able to shoot about as well at 100 yards with iron sights as with optica , off of sand bags .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If your eyesight is up to it , you should be able to shoot about as well at 100 yards with iron sights as with optica , off of sand bags .

Not many can because not many spend time getting comfortable with irons. NM post and aperture help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back