Which push mower has the most powerful engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds completely "normal" for Ohio. I have a Honda mower with the 160cc engine and have the same problem. I have the deck setting to the highest setting it has too and I discharge the clippings. Doesn't matter when the 6" tall grass is still damp and it grows that tall too dam fast (in the spring). Cutting it as high as I have to to manage it doesn't help either for how soon it needs cut a 2nd time either. I'm not mowing 2x a week either - I just deal with it for a month.

Of course the low tech solution is to just take a more narrow pass. I.E. maybe only try to cut 2/3rds of the width of the mower deck. Sure, it takes longer, but you don't have to get a new mower.

That may be the "price" you pay to mulch.

I suspect once summer hits and the rains are less frequent, this is no longer a problem.

I suppose I could go the side discharge route, but then I'd have to go over the clumps multiple times to make the yard look half way decent, or something I've done before is raise the mower deck all the way up, mow, then lower it back down to the desired height and mow again. Of course this method doubles my mowing time...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Sounds completely "normal" for Ohio. I have a Honda mower with the 160cc engine and have the same problem. I have the deck setting to the highest setting it has too and I discharge the clippings. Doesn't matter when the 6" tall grass is still damp and it grows that tall too dam fast (in the spring). Cutting it as high as I have to to manage it doesn't help either for how soon it needs cut a 2nd time either. I'm not mowing 2x a week either - I just deal with it for a month.

Yes, once we get through the rainy season, mowing gets much easier, but this time of the year our yard is more jungle than yard!

Originally Posted by javacontour
Of course the low tech solution is to just take a more narrow pass. I.E. maybe only try to cut 2/3rds of the width of the mower deck. Sure, it takes longer, but you don't have to get a new mower.

I suspect once summer hits and the rains are less frequent, this is no longer a problem.

I still have to buy a new mower because the drive system on the one I have now quit working...I don't mind walking behind the mower, but pushing it is another matter...

They don't make a push mower with a 300cc engine for a good reason. It would be massive and way too heavy.

You might want to look into something a bit more heavy duty if you really need that kind of power.

Maybe something like a 32"-36" commercial walk behind mower, or a used Gravely tractor. I have a 1971 Gravely walk-behind with a 30" brush deck. When I put the grass blade on it the thing will chew through grass that is 2 feet high with ease.

Originally Posted by grampi
When I open the side discharge flapper I get too many big clumps of grass...the yard looks much better when I mulch...

I know exactly what you mean. Mowers designed for mulching suck big time cutting tall damp wet grass. Clumps and discharge constantly clogging.

As others have noted, unless you are looking at a commercial mower, you are probably limited to about 190-200ccs

The solution may be to not bite off as much per pass. I.E. don't try to cut the entire width of the deck each pass. I had a zoyzia lawn and looked for the narrowest, most powerful mower I could find so it wasn't trying to cut a full 22" A 20" with the most powerful engine was where I landed. I don't want self propelled because that's power that isn't going into the blade.

But if you need self propelled, you may only want to cut a swath about 2/3rds of the deck width. You'll need more passes, but not as many as if you cut the lawn 2x at different heights. Leave 6-8" of the deck not cutting anything when it starts to bog down and see if you get better results.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by javacontour

I still have to buy a new mower because the drive system on the one I have now quit working...I don't mind walking behind the mower, but pushing it is another matter...

You do not *have to* cut the full width.

If the mower bogs so bad, just cut half width (or 2/3rds, or whatever)

It takes a long time...................... but you do what you have to do.

LOL - javacontour beat me too it

Last edited:
the Honda twin blade mowers cut much better but they cost a lot.
You can buy the 190cc Honda engine by itself but why?

Another possibility is turn up the RPMs of the current engine and see
if it helps your situation.
One notch will work wonders. or lengthen the spring slightly.

BTDT.

My 2¢

What about a 30" single blade rider ?
The one I owned had 13 HP I/C engine … simple but powerful … hydrostatic drive …

Originally Posted by 4WD
What about a 30" single blade rider ?
The one I owned had 13 HP I/C engine … simple but powerful … hydrostatic drive …

I just thought this also. Maybe a Snapper rear engine rider with a 28" or 30" deck and 14hp or so engine?

Yes, I ran a little Craftsman for about 10 years … then got a 42" since I'm now cutting adjacent property …

Get the best blades, keep them sharp, Try an older briggs flathead 6.5 hp with 21 inch deck. 2/3 passes.I have one of these and it will cut almost anything.It has a Craftsman mulch deck. This mower pushes easily enough that you would not want self propelled.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
the Honda twin blade mowers cut much better but they cost a lot.

My Honda has dual blades and the past (3) mows have been "fun". The 1st and 2nd times, with the deck raised to the 2nd-highest setting it has, I bagged the grass and had to empty the bag many, many times (and the garbage can ended up weighing a sh**load). The 3rd time, I raised the deck to the max height and still alternated between discharging grass and mulching or mulching what was discharged or doing 2/3 passes instead of full passes and so on. Still had to rake the "clump trails" (or the worst of them).

Never used one, but what about those DR field mowers? With the string trimmer head? Maybe that would throw the grass clear? Disperse it?

[Linked Image]

You mean something like this?

Last edited:
I've got a honda with the mulch-discharge variable chute. I have drilled some holes in the muffler, it does actually help. Keep them small, so noise increase is low.

It will reliably stall when mulching and the grass is wet, or moist and really thick.

It keeps a LOT of grass suspended in the deck, and that's a HUGE drag on the two blades (4 cutting surfaces).

You need to remove the smaller mulching blade, and you MUST open the side discharge.

Or buy a large lawn tractor, that will allow a much higher deck setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back