Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I love QSGB & QSUD both especially in 5W30. I like other oils as well but, I have to agree that QS keeps my engines quiet(er).

I've had the direct opposite experience with QSUD. I'll never run that oil ever again.

I have used QSUD in my Nissan Cube in the past and it was the least impressive full syn oil I have ever used in any car. I dumped it early around 6,500 miles into it. Made the engine louder.
Currently using QSGB, ( can't beat Firestone's 24.99 oil changes) and my motor is quiet and smooth and just as good as any synthetic in that regard. In fact so good, I like it better than when Pennzoil Ultra was in there.

QSGB has turned me over as a dino oil fan, use to be syn oil only for my precious car.

Last edited:
I haven't found any correlation between engine noise and wear metals in the UOA. My wife's Nissan (QR25DE) sounds like a rattletrap no matter what oil I put in it, but consistently shows low wear metals.

Originally Posted by 87112
I love QSGB & QSUD both especially in 5W30. I like other oils as well but, I have to agree that QS keeps my engines quiet(er).

I've had the direct opposite experience with QSUD. I'll never run that oil ever again.

I have used QSUD in my Nissan Cube in the past and it was the least impressive full syn oil I have ever used in any car. I dumped it early around 6,500 miles into it. Made the engine louder.
Currently using QSGB, ( can't beat Firestone's 24.99 oil changes) and my motor is quiet and smooth and just as good as any synthetic in that regard. In fact so good, I like it better than when Pennzoil Ultra was in there.

QSGB has turned me over as a dino oil fan, use to be syn oil only for my precious car.

There is no such thing as dino oil. Every modern certification requires a hydrocracking baseoil into at least group II+.

In the mid 70s, my friend's father always bought a case of Quaker State when the local hardware/auto parts store, Murray's, would advertise it at a very low price. He had a '73 Montego with a 351 2V ( I do not miss the 70s! ). He almost never drove on the expressway.

My friend removed the valve cover on this car when it was about 2 years old. I happened to be there when he pulled it free. I'm not kidding ... where the rocker assembly should have been was in fact an almost-perfect dark brown Jello mold. You could not see the valve train at all. He ended up pulling the heads because the pushrod and oil return galleries were badly fouled. The sludge was almost rubber-like in consistency. I have never since seen anything like that.

That experience turned me off of Quaker State for decades. I have never bought it since. Even if today's Quaker State could do my taxes and fetch beer, the image of that rectangular glob of 1975 Quaker State is still there.

Originally Posted by 87112

Yeah...QSGB 10w30 and PYB 10w30 are just excellent smooth-running high moly/boron oils.
Even the modern "conventional" SN oils have highly pure base oil.
(I hope those referring to oils as "stout" aren't actually drinking them
smile.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by goggomobil
In the mid 70s, my friend's father always bought a case of Quaker State when the local hardware/auto parts store, Murray's, would advertise it at a very low price. He had a '73 Montego with a 351 2V ( I do not miss the 70s! ). He almost never drove on the expressway.

My friend removed the valve cover on this car when it was about 2 years old. I happened to be there when he pulled it free. I'm not kidding ... where the rocker assembly should have been was in fact an almost-perfect dark brown Jello mold. You could not see the valve train at all. He ended up pulling the heads because the pushrod and oil return galleries were badly fouled. The sludge was almost rubber-like in consistency. I have never since seen anything like that.

That experience turned me off of Quaker State for decades. I have never bought it since. Even if today's Quaker State could do my taxes and fetch beer, the image of that rectangular glob of 1975 Quaker State is still there.

No doubt it wasn't the best. However, since the QS has been acquired by Shell. Game changer.

Now if you could have had some sliced peaches in the jello it would have been tasty. But seriously, if you want a 5w30 that is a bit thicker you can choose Quaker State. Maybe 44 years is enough time for forgiveness.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Now if you could have had some sliced peaches in the jello it would have been tasty. But seriously, if you want a 5w30 that is a bit thicker you can choose Quaker State. Maybe 44 years is enough time for forgiveness.
laugh.gif

Quaker State is thicker than other brands in the same grade?

Fascinating

laugh.gif

I agree! Someone on the Corvette Forum mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he would never use a Fram oil filter because of a bad experience he had in the 70s and he'll never forget. I told him that the company has changed hands a few times since then and probably not a single employee from back then still works there, so he's only boycotting a name and that's it.

I think it had less to do with oil quality back then as it had to do with poor ring seal allowing lots of combustion gasses into the crankcase and then poor breathing systems not evacuating the gases combined with high fuel dilution rates thanks to carbs running hellish rich when the engine was cold.

Sure oil quality and additives weren't up to snuff like today but you can't fault the oil for everything.

Originally Posted by ad244
So when I run Quaker State its essentially Pennzoil?

It's not the same exactly but it's made by the same company, in this case Shell.

Didn't Amazon tell you that?

Originally Posted by PimTac
laugh.gif

Fascinating

Quaker State UD 5w30 has a KV 100 of over 11 Cst. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 has a Kv100 of just over 9 Cst. This is only an issue if you wanted something thicker and stay within a 5w30. I don't want to start another Thickie war.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
The pour point is also much better on the QSUD than PUP indicating different blending.
Why do you believe that's more relevant than the CCS test results?

Originally Posted by PimTac
laugh.gif

Fascinating

Quaker State UD 5w30 has a KV 100 of over 11 Cst. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 has a Kv100 of just over 9 Cst. This is only an issue if you wanted something thicker and stay within a 5w30. I don't want to start another Thickie war.
smile.gif

QSUD 5W-30 has a viscosity of 11.6 @ 100 deg C.
smile.gif

I'm kicking Valvoline to the curb and am making QSUD my go-to oil for by Chevy V8 and I4 engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by StevieC
The pour point is also much better on the QSUD than PUP indicating different blending.
Why do you believe that's more relevant than the CCS test results?

I don't what I'm saying is that there is definite blending differences or those temperatures would match in the PDS's if it was just really rebranded Pennzoil so to speak.

Last edited:
Why would I spend that much when I was able to get 6 quarts of 5W30 Rural King Synthetic and a Motorcraft filter at Rural King for less than $25 tax included?

It would have been $16.50 less, but I did tell the cashier scanning the box that she got the per quart bar code and she needed to ring me for six bottles, not one.

I could have walked with 6 quarts of synthetic and a filter for under $9 had I wanted.

But I want them to be there to sell to me again and I don't want the cashier losing her job over giving me $15+tax in free oil.

Sorry, my ADD kicked in and I digressed. The point is, unless I'm getting QS synthetics for those sorts of prices, there isn't much to love relative to other options out there.

Originally Posted by ad244
I recently changed the oil on a 2010 Civic and due to a time constraint I didn't have access to my usual stash and Wallyworld is clear across town. So after a trip to auto zone, I grabbed a 5qt of Ultimate Durability & an STP extended filter for $26 which I didn't think was too horrible of a deal. Amazingly, my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has. Time will tell how the oil holds up but I was impressed with how smooth it ran using this oil.

Especially from the price point, is there any reasons why its not more widely used on BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back