0W-20, switch to something thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using Mobil 1 0W-20 in a 2014 Accord with 90K miles on it.

After reading myriads of threads here on BITOG about that oil being too thin I'm thinking of switching to 10W-30.

What say you? (I don't care about mpg)

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Currently using Mobil 1 0W-20 in a 2014 Accord with 90K miles on it.

After reading myriads of threads here on BITOG about that oil being too thin I'm thinking of switching to 10W-30.

What say you? (I don't care about mpg)

What grade does the vehicle call for?

It won't be too thin for 0w20. It would be too thin for a 94. You can always use 5w30 to make you feel better, for around 1% or so mpg difference.

What would be your reason for changing? Because you read it in a Internet forum?

Stick with what has worked so far.

When I'm out of warranty … will watch for sales and open up to 5w20 or 5w30 … but if it's the same price my 0w20 will be ok too … Today I grabbed a six pack to complement my jugs

A2E6F743-104B-4B2C-994C-F026244679CF.jpeg

Originally Posted by CT8
Try Mobil1 AFE 0W-30
"0w" not needed in the OP's TX state.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
..... myriads of threads here on BITOG about that oil being too thin...
Less filling, tastes great is really the classic debate.

In TX, a 10w30 would be OK. I'd go with 5w30 full-syn, choice here would be walmart Valvoline MaxLife full syn.

18.gif
and
35.gif

Agree that a 10w-30 will be fine. 0w-20 will probably also be fine. Why not do a run of each, with UOA, and see which one your engine likes best?

Originally Posted by JLTD
18.gif
and
35.gif

Agree that a 10w-30 will be fine. 0w-20 will probably also be fine. Why not do a run of each, with UOA, and see which one your engine likes best?

Or just stick with what your owners manual says, and you will be fine. Actually, you drive a Honda Accord, not a high performance racing machine. Jiffy Lube will be fine.

in your heat a 10-30 synthetic would be better, thinner base oils used to meet 0+5w are not necessary in hotter climates + they tend to burn off faster + require more viscosity improvers to reach their running temperature viscosity. unless of course you use a real synthetic, as a 30W PAO meets the 10W without any viscosity improvers + of course ester oils would do the same

So climate has nothing to do with the viscosity. Thinner oil is better due to it dissipates heat way better than thicker, lower drag, flows better, and with today's engines the oil pump is a low volume oil pump designed for 0w20 oil, oil won't flow correctly with the thicker oil. Do yourself a favor and follow what that owners manual says.

Originally Posted by vq40
So climate has nothing to do with the viscosity. Thinner oil is better due to it dissipates heat way better than thicker, lower drag, flows better, and with today's engines the oil pump is a low volume oil pump designed for 0w20 oil, oil won't flow correctly with the thicker oil. Do yourself a favor and follow what that owners manual says.

"Thicker" oil won't flow correctly in an 2014 Accord with 90K miles on it? I'd be willing to bet 0W30 would flow just fine in that engine. Probably just as good as 0W20 would.

Stick with the 0W20. That's what the manufacturer says to run, so do that. It has worked for you for 90k miles. I run it in both my Honda's in South Texas with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back