Which push mower has the most powerful engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my Honda/Toro self propelled mower as the propelled part quit working and it's now just a push mower. I want the mower with the most powerful engine I can get. The Honda engine on this mower (160cc) is great for reliability, but it just doesn't have enough power for my yard. Our grass is super thick and rarely dries out completely and the 160cc engine just doesn't have enough power to handle it without bogging down and quitting. I need a mower with at least a 10 hp engine, as these typical 4-5 hp engines just don't cut it, but I can't seem to find anything this powerful. Does such a mower even exist?

Power required depends on the size of the blade and design of the deck, and whether or not you're discharging, mulching, bagging.

If you buy a poorly designed mower, you can bog down a 10hp engine, too...

My 160 Honda GXV is more than enough for my Snapper mower, and my lawn is also super thick and mowed tall at 3.5".

How large of a lawn are you cutting(acres)?
I once had a 6.5 hp Craftsman but, I can't recall seeing more HP in a standard push w/o getting into a HUGE UNIT.

IDK if they're rated in HP anymore but the may be. I see them rated in TORQUE these days.
The Honda 190cc may be the better unit but, IDK if Honda supplies these engines for anyone other than themselves. I think you're going to fine it difficult to find a large HP engine w/o being self propelled.

I have removed the self propelled unit from the decks when they finally poop out. This makes it easier/lighter to push. Then I'd also raise the cutting deck so I can push through the grass more easily. But, that's just me. And because I only have 1/4 acre, I don't mind cutting the higher spots 2x after I've lowered the deck again. Or just cut 2x/week leaving the grass a bit higher.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
How large of a lawn are you cutting(acres)?
I once had a 6.5 hp Craftsman but, I can't recall seeing more HP in a standard push w/o getting into a HUGE UNIT.

IDK if they're rated in HP anymore but the may be. I see them rated in TORQUE these days.
The Honda 190cc may be the better unit but, IDK if Honda supplies these engines for anyone other than themselves. I think you're going to fine it difficult to find a large HP engine w/o being self propelled.

I have removed the self propelled unit from the decks when they finally poop out. This makes it easier/lighter to push. Then I'd also raise the cutting deck so I can push through the grass more easily. But, that's just me. And because I only have 1/4 acre, I don't mind cutting the higher spots 2x after I've lowered the deck again. Or just cut 2x/week leaving the grass a bit higher.

I DO want one that is self propelled...my yard is probably less than 1/4 acre, but it isn't the size of my yard that makes me want a more powerful mower, it's the thickness of the grass...these little 160cc engines just don't have enough power to go through it...I need like double the power...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Are you in the recycling mode while bogging? If so go to the side discharge. There is a 175 Briggs and a 200 cc Honda out there.

You talking about mulching? Yes. When I open the side discharge flapper I get too many big clumps of grass...the yard looks much better when I mulch...

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hey Grampi, Thank you for your service.

This may be an option for you. My neighbor has one and it really does well, especially on hills given that it has AWD.
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/walk-behind-lawn-mowers/hu725awdhq/961450028/

He too had a Toro previously. The new Briggs and Kohler engines are nothing like their predecessors and now compare better to Honda's best engines.

It doesn't say what size the engine is...

Originally Posted by grampi
Are you in the recycling mode while bogging? If so go to the side discharge. There is a 175 Briggs and a 200 cc Honda out there.

You talking about mulching? Yes. When I open the side discharge flapper I get too many big clumps of grass...the yard looks much better when I mulch...

That is your problem. you need to mow off less grass(cut more often) or side discharge

I have a 160cc and in mulching mode I have to mow every 3 days in the spring.. or it bogs down and pukes out the grass blobs.

in side discharge it will mow just fine.. because it cuts the same grass but 10x less.. than mulching.

If you cut your grass higher it is also less load because the grass clippings fall out easier instead of getting cut 50x.

190cc is the most powerful engine on commonly available 20/21" mowers.

Other sources on-line indicate a 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine.

You might step up to a 190cc Honda powered unit that is similar, but about $80 more. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/walk-behind-lawn-mowers/hu800awdh/961450021/

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hey Grampi, Thank you for your service.

This may be an option for you. My neighbor has one and it really does well, especially on hills given that it has AWD.
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/walk-behind-lawn-mowers/hu725awdhq/961450028/

He too had a Toro previously. The new Briggs and Kohler engines are nothing like their predecessors and now compare better to Honda's best engines.

It doesn't say what size the engine is...

grampi I know that Toro makes a 21 with a Kawasaki 180 engine, model 22298, that is strong. I have the GXV160 version of this mower. My buddy has the Kawa and it does seem to have a significant bump in power. Something to consider.

The thing I like now about engine ratings on equipment like lawnmowers is they now rate Torque instead of misleading HP.

Originally Posted by Rand

That is your problem. you need to mow off less grass(cut more often) or side discharge

I have a 160cc and in mulching mode I have to mow every 3 days in the spring.. or it bogs down and pukes out the grass blobs.

in side discharge it will mow just fine.. because it cuts the same grass but 10x less.. than mulching.

If you cut your grass higher it is also less load because the grass clippings fall out easier instead of getting cut 50x.

190cc is the most powerful engine on commonly available 20/21" mowers.

Yep, the motor isn't the problem.

You are trying to mulch more grass than the blade/deck can handle.

You have to adjust your mowing habits. Mow more often.

Also, there are different style blades out there that do a better job mulching. You might want to look into them.

Even blade sharpness can make a big difference. When a mower is mulching, the blade is an airfoil that's keeping the grass in the deck until it's chopped up into such small pieces that it falls out. If you have a dull blade that's just beating the grass around but not chopping it into fine pieces, then the mower just keeps sucking up mower grass blades until the deck is plugged up and bogs the engine down. Not the engine's fault.

All of that said, mulching is hard on the blade. If you don't hit anything, a blade will last a whole season when side discharging. It might be getting dull after a few months of mulching...

Honda 190cc if you can find it, otherwise the largest Briggs OHV engine you can find for a 22" deck.

Home depot does show a Honda HRX with a GCV200, but it's pushing $800.

They also have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Re...ower-with-Electric-Start-20334/100659631

Also another tip would be to get a tachometer and adjust the RPMs to make sure the engine is revving high enough. Most lawn mowers run at about 2800 RPM. I've seen some that run 2000 RPM right out of the box which is way too slow. Bending the little tab for the governor spring can increase it to 3000-3200 RPM which is still safe and provides more torque. Mowers are limited by the government for blade tip speed reasons, although commercial mowers run higher blade tip speeds anyway.

My new 7.25 B&S just hogged thick St Augustine in mulching mode and with fast gears ...
Noticeable gain over the 6.75 it replaces

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Honda 190cc if you can find it, otherwise the largest Briggs OHV engine you can find for a 22" deck.

Home depot does show a Honda HRX with a GCV200, but it's pushing $800.

They also have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Re...ower-with-Electric-Start-20334/100659631

Also another tip would be to get a tachometer and adjust the RPMs to make sure the engine is revving high enough. Most lawn mowers run at about 2800 RPM. I've seen some that run 2000 RPM right out of the box which is way too slow. Bending the little tab for the governor spring can increase it to 3000-3200 RPM which is still safe and provides more torque. Mowers are limited by the government for blade tip speed reasons, although commercial mowers run higher blade tip speeds anyway.

this is a good point, too. Not only does increasing blade speed help with cut quality, but most small engines (especially Honda) make their peak power at 3600 rpm. My newer snapper ran 2700 rpm out of the box. Big difference when it was brought up to speed.

If I remember correctly, a 21" blade should spin 3400rpm max or so to remain in safe spec.

I know the reason this Honda 160cc engine is having such a hard time getting through my grass is because of two reasons; 1) I'm mulching with it and 2) I work in a different state during the week so I'm not home to mow when it needs it. This time of the year the yard should really be mowed twice a week because the grass grows so fast, but unfortunately, I can't be there to do it. What I'm left with is 6 inch high grass that has to be mowed while I'm home on the weekends regardless of the weather. This means many times I'm either mowing in the rain, or mowing wet grass. I believe if I could find a walk behind mower with at least a 300cc engine, that would provide enough power to go through this thick, heavy, and sometimes wet grass. However, I have never seen any walk behind mowers with this much motor...

Wow, that's tall. I don't think a bigger motor will help you mulch a 6" lawn with a push mower. That's just beyond what a single blade push mower deck can handle, big motor or not.

If you can't be there to cut it frequently enough, you're probably gonna have to go to side-discharge! If you don't like the wind-rows left behind, side discharge first cut, then go over it again to mulch up the clippings. Shouldn't take you long with that small of a lot.

You could also try changing HOW you mow. Sometimes, when the lawn is overgrown, you can help the mower out by first mowing some
"relief" strips through the middle, opposite direction that you'll cut the lawn. That way, as the mower deck starts getting overwhelmed, it can recover as it gets a break when you pass the previously mowed strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back