Why Was This Thread Locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
The mods worry about the sponsors or advertisers becoming upset with some content and pulling out. Bob gots to get paid.

This shows how little you know about bitog.

Won't be long for this thread either. Why do people think that after a thread gets locked or deleted it's a good idea to start another thread complaining about it? That really does mystify me.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by spasm3
I think the last 2 posts show where the thread was headed, its my guess that's why the mods locked it.

As nick says, the idiots "win" though. They derail a thread and get it locked instead of their posts getting deleted and what would be appropriate is to 'punish' those idiots for the behavior.

It's easier/less work to lock a thread than to constantly babysit individual member's posts. And there may be many "problem" members.

That said, if it's always the same problem members, employing a no tolerance policy which simply sends offenders on vacation (and a banning after repeat occurrences) would be almost as easy. This place could be cleaned up real quick.

I'm relatively new here, but there doesn't seem to be any repercussions for being an @$$ on here. Thread gets locked, then they go infect another thread and get that locked, then another, so on and so forth. Doesn't seem very efficient.

Originally Posted by Rand
The mods worry about the sponsors or advertisers becoming upset with some content and pulling out. Bob gots to get paid.

Atikovi,

[Little history:]
Bob had some health issues, so many years ago (early 2000s), Helen and her husband Tony (RIP), purchased the website and kept it up for the following many years.
She stated many times she wants a family friendly website.
The Mods are volunteers, so sometime it depends on that particular mod.
There are many many many users (60k+), so it is not an easy task to moderate and keep it clean.
There are 2 administrators, one is user WWilson (Wayne).

NickDFresh,
couple alternatives:
-open a 5 guests PM private thread
-contact Wayne to increase the 5 guests limit for ^^^

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Because jerks keep reminding us how they have "zero interest" in a subject they took interest in enough to tell us all they have zero interest? really? If one doesn't like the subject of discussion here you just thread-jack and get it closed?

I see this a lot on BITOG. Especially in sports threads, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the responses are people who don't watch the sport, stating that they do not like said sport.

Atikovi- You see racists where there are none.

And profit where there is none.

This board isn't making anyone any money, I assure you.

Perhaps, if you think this is a lucrative venture, you could start your own board, and ban all the people and comments that you don't like. It's got to be better than raising cats, or exotic fish...

In the meantime, the comments in this thread that caused it to be locked, were political.

The board owner (Helen) has been crystal clear in her standards, and everyone, including you, agreed to those standards when they signed up for a user account.

The moderators work with an enormous number of posts, and a large number of members. They volunteer (so much for "gots to get paid") and the site is better for their (again, unpaid) efforts.

Want to see more moderators? More involvement?

Consider donating, instead of complaining. Donations bring in more $$ than sponsors.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5086063/2019-nfl-draft#Post5086063

Because the owners don't like the NFL? Because jerks keep reminding us how they have "zero interest" in a subject they took interest in enough to tell us all they have zero interest? really? If one doesn't like the subject of discussion here you just thread-jack and get it closed?

Nick - you claim to moderate on two other boards, but you think a public complaint thread is likely to get a moderator to answer?

Really?

If you want to know why a thread was locked, a polite PM is far more likely to get a response than this tactic.

The comments that got it locked were political in nature. The rules on the forum are clear, so the lock was clear, at least, to me.

And, as I recommended above, consider donating. Help the site, and mods, achieve what you think they should.

Put your $$ where your mouth is, as the old saying goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Rand

Atikovi,

[Little history:]
Bob had some health issues, so many years ago (early 2000s), Helen and her husband Tony (RIP), purchased the website and kept it up for the following many years.
There are many many many users (60k+), so it is not an easy task to moderate and keep it clean.

You are right, as having probably 500+ internet forums I'm registered on it's hard to see behind the scenes of each one. bitog is one of the most popular though, and right now I see a Pennzoil banner ad at the top of the page. Are you saying they get that for free? If so why not charge for it and drum up more sponsor advertising if that would help the forum.

While Pennzoil pays a few $$ to advertise, and a few folks sponsor, there is the cost of hosting this site to offset all of the revenue from advertising and donations. It costs a lot for software, and servers, and maintenance, and upgrades.

Again, I assure you, when subtract the costs (hosting, etc.) from the income (advertising, sponsorship and donations), there isn't any significant money left over.

If you think that this forum is a good way to make money, or that you could do better, then start your own, grow it to this size, and reap those profits.

[You are right, as having probably 500+ internet forums I'm registered on it's hard to see behind the scenes of each one. bitog is one of the most popular though, and right now I see a Pennzoil banner ad at the top of the page. Are you saying they get that for free? If so why not charge for it and drum up more sponsor advertising if that would help the forum.

That would explain a lot.

You are right, as having probably 500+ internet forums I'm registered on it's hard to see behind the scenes of each one. bitog is one of the most popular though, and right now I see a Pennzoil banner ad at the top of the page. Are you saying they get that for free? If so why not charge for it and drum up more sponsor advertising if that would help the forum.

One of the many things I enjoy here are the lack of ads all over the place. One of the reasons I don't frequent www.driveaccord.net that much. The owner sold the site and the amount of ads went through the roof. Which is very distracting. Supposedly because of the type of member I was over there I was seeing less ads than others which is hard to believe.

This is coming from a new member that has been banned twice for talking about the ill effects of reefer and such. I guess if you want to talk religion sex politics etc it's better left for the Thanksgiving table and see a real sideshow happen.

Originally Posted by gman2304
In many forums discussing religion, politics and making racial comments aren't allowed.
No discussion on any of these topics took place.

Since most of the players are black, the comment National felon league: ZERO INTEREST is pretty racist.

What's racist about it? I see no mention of race whatsoever in that statement...

Think it's less so than the guy who called Walmart shoppers white trash a couple days back …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Think it's less so than the guy who called Walmart shoppers white trash a couple days back …

Now that's a racist statement, but so many people these days don't know what the word means...too many of them seem to think it means anything they don't like...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by gman2304
In many forums discussing religion, politics and making racial comments aren't allowed.
No discussion on any of these topics took place.

Since most of the players are black, the comment National felon league: ZERO INTEREST is pretty racist.

What's racist about it? I see no mention of race whatsoever in that statement...

Not the ZERO INTEREST comment, that's just part of the quote, but if you don't think that implying NFL players which are majority black, are felons, isn't racist, I don't what is. If any politician said that, there would be a call for their resignation.

Originally Posted by pandus13

All this is worth repeating. It's supposed to be fun, family friendly, and informative. Anything that disrupts that is going to be, at the very least, subject to scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back