Buick Regal TourX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I think they're a good value! 4-cylinder wagon with a panoramic sunroof at a great price
smile.gif

Yep-and in the next three years the plug will be pulled and your resale value will be worse than Buick's already are.......

There is no case one can make for this red herring to be around long.

There are few exceptions for GM. The 2nd generation Cadillac CTS wagon was around for only 5 model years but it's holding resale value a lot better than its coupe and sedan siblings. I bought a new Pontiac G8 GT on fire sale when Pontiac went bust in 2009. I sold it 7 years and 30k miles later for the exact same price.

Next week I'm moving my daughter from Chicago to NYC to start nursing school. The 240 wagon will sport both a rocket box on top and a bike rack on the hitch.

Moved a friend out of Yale College yesterday. Moving her brother out of Trinity College on Friday.

Picking up a reupholtered chair today for my better half.

Wagon's are incredibly useful! We will always have at least one.

Sam

Last edited:
My personal taste says it looks more like a much nicer Dodge Magnum (The wagon, not the truck).
Which by the way got back in value after some trendy TV episodes....
For me it is too long, and I don't care for sunroof/panoramic.

Also across the brands that still have wagons in their lineup, nobody really markets them or provide inventory to dealers. (Golf Sportwagen/Alltrack)

I drive 2 wagons (1 wagon + 1 mini-minivan), and the only thing more useful is a their big sister, MS. Minivan.

I wish good luck to anybody purchasing these as they are a lot of car for the money and let's see how this unravels.
Hopefully not like Suzuki parts availability.

Originally Posted by pandus13

The sunroof is not a standard option, so you can find one that's equipped without it.

As for the length, yeah, it is pretty big overall, but in return you get more cargo room than in Sportwagen or Alltrak.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

The sunroof is not a standard option, so you can find one that's equipped without it.
As for the length, yeah, it is pretty big overall, but in return you get more cargo room than in Sportwagen or Alltrak.

QP, you're right on all counts.
The appeal for my currents (GSW and Mazda5) is I'm in a big city area, so an useful cargo room in mid-size length is easier to park. (beside needing to carry lots of 8ft wood for a kids bed....)
Also better visibility/glass area.

On the other hand, the TourX is a longbase, so it must eat highway miles nicely. This is a feedback I would gladily take from current owners/anybody that tested it.
Also, since in other threads, it was reported the passenger area is pretty spacey, it may make sense for me in 4-5 years (tall kids).

Also, one thing I learned from my beloved Yaris and Elantra (both base models): life is too short not to enjoy small luxuries. Arriving somewhere perfectly fresh after 6-14 hours of driving with a smile on your face = priceless?

I'm a huge fan of wagons. Unfortunately I think it was a bad move for Gm to bring this platform over under the Buick name and slap such a high sticker price on it. I think they've priced them above what younger car buyers would spend for a wagon, let alone a Buick. Even discounted $10K down to around $28K, that's in a range of a lot of crossovers and SUV's with AWD and near the same space with better resale etc. [censored], you can get a new for Explorer for that price.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I think they've priced them above what younger car buyers would spend for a wagon, let alone a Buick.

How many younger buyers like wagons?
How many younger buyers think Buick is a cool brand to own?

Unless they seriously jack it up, it's not going to sell in the US, regardless what logo they slap on the hood, IMO.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I think they've priced them above what younger car buyers would spend for a wagon, let alone a Buick.

How many younger buyers like wagons?
How many younger buyers think Buick is a cool brand to own?

Unless they seriously jack it up, it's not going to sell in the US, regardless what logo they slap on the hood, IMO.

I should have clarified "younger". I'm in my mid 30's (36) and most of my friends actually do like wagons vs smaller crossovers etc. I've owned 2 wagons, most of my friends have a Subaru wagon of some sort.

I don't think Buick is a cool brand, that's what I meant by GM made a mistake bringing it in under the Buick name. I think if they would have used the Chevy badge and made it look less...well.. Buick and more Chevy style, with a mid 20's price tag, they'd be more attractive.

Look at the VW Golf Sportwagen or Golf Alltrack, those are cool wagons and younger people buy them. They are really nice inside and out and priced reasonably.

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe the Buick is worth $30-35K, I just don't see it. I don't understand their target market.

Last edited:
Huie83, I hear ya. My point was, overall, the wagon market in the US is very small - about 2% of all vehicles. I'm actually surprised it's even that high - must be all the Outback sales. I honestly don't know who the typical wagon buyer is these days. People may cross-shop them, but in the end buy some kind of CUV/SUV instead.

VW sold some 14K SportWagens/Alltracks in 2018 in the US, but they sold 100K Tiguans in the same time. And VW is the "cool" brand, unlike Buick or even Chevy.

My guess is GM put it under Buick in hopes of giving it a more upscale status (compared to Chevy) and in hopes of being able to charge a higher price for it. But there seems to be zero marketing around TourX in the US. GM either doesn't know how to sell it or just doesn't want to spend any money promoting it. "If it sells, great. If it doesn't, we'll can it," kind of an attitude, which is a shame, because I think this vehicle has some potential, despite GM de-optioning/cheapening it for the US market, compared to Opel Insignia Country Tourer in Europe, in order to meet a price point and not come too close to Audi/BMW territory.

Funny enough, Buick decided to remove the Buick name from all their 2019 models. Maybe they're hoping people won't realize they're Buicks?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Warstud
Buick Regal TourX What do you guys think ?

It's no Volvo, but it's alright.

Don't know why there's no FWD option.

And you'd think with everyone buying SUVs, and with the Subaru Legacy turning into the raised Outback, and the Volvo V70 turning into the raised XC70, that GM would have at least offered an option package for more ground clearance. The Tour X is three inches lower than a new Outback. ok. But even the regular Volvo V90 has more ground clearance than the Tour X, and the Cross Country version adds two inches on top of that.

The Tour X has an inch less ground clearance than a Chevy Impala.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
The Tour X has an inch less ground clearance than a Chevy Impala.

For me, the fact that it is low to the ground is a benefit as it lowers center of gravity and makes it handle like a car. The moment you raise it, it'll drive just like any other SUV, in which case you might as well get an SUV.

Oh Bummer,
Now I may be driving a red hering...

link to GSW discontinued

IMO, better than this new Tiguan that is desperately trying to be Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4.
But, in the ned it is business, it is all about making money.

For me, the fact that it is low to the ground is a benefit as it lowers center of gravity and makes it handle like a car. The moment you raise it, it'll drive just like any other SUV, in which case you might as well get an SUV.

Ground clearance is different from height, though.
The Tour X is about the same height as a V90.
The V90 Cross Country is 2 inches taller and would be similar to a 2 inch lifted Tour X.

A Chevy Tahoe only has 7.9 inches of ground clearance but is almost 15 inches taller than the V90 Cross Country.
A V90 Cross Country has .4 inches more ground clearance than a Chevy Tahoe.
Which vehicle drives more like a car?

I'm just surprised they didn't make a lift kit an option.

My point was, if you take the same car and lift it up, you are doing it at the expense of handling. But yeah, given the US market demand, offering a lift kit would likely greatly improve this vehicle's sales.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Oh Bummer,
Now I may be driving a red hering...

link to GSW discontinued

IMO, better than this new Tiguan that is desperately trying to be Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4.
But, in the ned it is business, it is all about making money.

[off-topic]
Yes Eddie, you are right.

I saw one in a local dealer showroom.
I was amazed for an SUV, how thin where the tires (Chicago roads potholes, anybody?) and how much space around the wheel hub. My first thought was, "If I ever buy this, I drop the wheels 2 sizes for more tire height".
Also,, It is bigger then the previous generations of Tiguan.

[back to topic]
The dealer where I bought my GSW, was also a Buick dealer and had one TourX on the lot. Parked close to the showroom, but not really visible.
Could not compare the price with my low $13k's price for my GSW.

For me, the fact that it is low to the ground is a benefit as it lowers center of gravity and makes it handle like a car.

QP,
beside the problems with wagons in general (very very very low sales),
the car like experience does not sell (hence Ford and others discontinuing cars for SUV/CUV)

P.S. Do I take it you are eyeing a TourX in the future if the price is right?

P.S. Do I take it you are eyeing a TourX in the future if the price is right?
I was looking at it at one point, but right now I'm all set. The 530i is back on the road, for now.

A low priced lightly used GSW would probably be a better idea for me, but it would have to be the 1.8T manual, as I don't trust the DSG long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back