To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing a motorcycle run off the road killing the rider. His wife was air lifted, she died. I was almost rear ended by a woman who was texting. A farmer pulled out in front of me with a red pickup coming in the opposite lane.
All in about 1 hour.
I was done.
With the amount of people texting and driving now-a-days heck it's not even safe in a car!!!!!!
I know I'm going to die.....but not on a motorcycle with all these idiots driving around.
I even gave up my "M" on my driver's license.

LoneRanger, I believe you have answered your on question.

Get a sports car where you and your wife can enjoy road moments together. Take some weekend or day trips together and enjoy the adventures together.

I'm nervous riding around all the zombies on the roads these days. I have faith in my riding abilities, but not in those around me driving distracted more than ever.

Sell the bike !!! You have realized your mortality. I have realized mine and you get to an age where you never recover from an injury.

Those hinky feelings are just your survival instincts reminding you they are there. You've had a serious accident so no surprises. If you have had the honest conversation with yourself about the accident and want to hang it up do so. Some people learn from a mistake some just quit. Even those harley posers have more cred than a guy that had a bike once. Good luck and good life to you.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Get a sports car where you and your wife can enjoy road moments together. Take some weekend or day trips together and enjoy the adventures together.

I'm nervous riding around all the zombies on the roads these days. I have faith in my riding abilities, but not in those around me driving distracted more than ever.

THIS ^

Get a cheap convertible (or expensive ... !) and enjoy the wind in your hair, AND your wife's company, all with weather protection just a lift or push-button away, with the safety of a cage ... win - win !

Last edited:
I just ride 18k miles per bike then sell.
That's how I remain alive. You have to choose how to live too.
No fun riding around waiting to get run over. That sounds scary.

Originally Posted by faltic
Some people learn from a mistake some just quit. Even those harley posers have more cred than a guy that had a bike once.

Can you please explain what you mean here??
I don't want to misinterpret...

I rode from 17 to 25 years old. It became to iffy and I switched to mountain biking. Better cardio and you still get a thrill on two wheels.

If your bottom line shows a deficit in joy, sell. Sorry to hear about your co-workers being a--hats. Seems like way too many Harley riders redeem their existence solely by owning a Harley. The irony that seems to escape them is that their desired rebel image is now a cliché. I am seriously sorry that your wife no longer rides with you. Falling off of anything when you are older can release arterial plaque that can essentially end your life.

My 'sell' story involves a Honda CB500T, a throttle cruise control, and a padded sissy bar (remember those?). I was sitting on the rear of the 2 passenger seat with my feet resting on the turn signal stalks, cruising up US-23 from Ohio toward Ann Arbor.

As I was passing a station wagon (lean left to move left, vice-versa) at 60 MPH or so, I hit a frost heave and the backrest suddenly fell backwards and sideways. A bolt had been working its way out and popped out. I will never forget very, very slowly doing a sit-up and grabbing for the handlebars. This effected a major chink in my 'immortal' armor.

The Vandacruise cruise control was removed and thereafter I always used the best lock washers that I could find. I quit riding street bikes soon afterwards.

I was lunatic on a bicycle as a kid. Loved riding all day. I would love a motorcycle now but I know I'll get hurt on one so I don't bother.

I've never questioned if I should ride or not....if you are, then maybe you should listen to your inner self.

I went to the funeral of a good friend last week, she was past president and lifetime member of a marque club. Bikes were her life. A bad accident in the '70's left her with a crook leg, but never stopped her riding. Although she said the last year was the best of her life, she didn't get to enjoy her retirement. Riding a motorcycle didn't kill her, but added so much to her life experience...and mine. Not riding won't make you live forever.

Sounds like your coworkers are all FOS.

The rest of it is all a personal decision, what we think doesn't matter... this is something you have to decide along with your bride.

But I'm with Silk and 02SE. And I'd ride with you no matter what you ride...

I've been where you're at and chose to walk away. I only skidded down the highway once but with people driving around texting and all the other distractions these days, I just decided I didn't want to chance it anymore. Do I miss riding? Yes! But to me, and at my age (58) I just don't feel it's worth the risk anymore. I had a good run and lots of fun. As far as the Harley bunch, I owned a Harley for awhile, and while there are good people that ride Harley's, there's still that private club thing among them and there's always a certain percentage I don't want to associate with. I wound up selling my HD and buying a GW, in part because I don't really fit the HD profile. It just wasn't my style. Do what's right for you and you can never go wrong.

Grew up hearing nothing but stories of bike danger.....Aunt G., who was a nurse, sent pictures of people from the emergency room. Enough said there.

Still I shopped BMW's a bit. EVERY seller told a story of near death.

FYI: Such people fuel the second hand bike market with a steady flow of low mileage bikes.

After a while the reality of it all took hold and the desire faded and/or was displaced.

And all of this was well before the era of the distracted driver.

FYI: There were plenty of BAD DRIVERS out there before.

Got rid of my bike after only a few years. Too many people driving distracted, tailgating me, pulling out in front of me without even looking, etc. I spent 90% of the time on the bike paranoid and driving so defensively it wasnt even enjoyable. Sold it cheap and never looked back. The old convertible I drive now puts the wind in my face and thats good enough now. If I want to ride a bike, its on a dirt trail away from cars and traffic.

Doesnt help that I just buried my good friend, he and his wife pulled out of a restaurant parking lot and a pickup pulled out right in front of them a couple blocks down. His wife ended up with broken bones in her hands and arm, road rash and cuts and bruises all over, and he took a brutal blow to the side of his head. Never opened his eyes again and they pulled the plug after a few days when he was completely unresponsive, they were having trouble maintaining his blood pressure, and his brain activity was pretty much zero. On his phone was a picture his wife took right before they pulled out. Sad seeing his last few moments captured like that, sun on his face, both of them smiling and just a few seconds later, he's gone.

Seeing him laying there in his casket with a huge welt on the side of his head was the final straw in me deciding that I would never have another bike.

Maybe there are so many more cars on the road now? Just seems like no matter what time of day it is, its like rush hour. Traffic at every stop sign, every light, people whipping in and around each other.. I just dont remember the roads being like this when I was growing up, or even 10-15 years ago. Seems like I can be on the most deserted back road in the middle of nowhere at any time of day and within 2-3 minutes someone will roar up out of nowhere in an SUV or average sedan and be hyperventilating ten feet off my bumper in no time, and I'm not a slow driver. Are there any deserted back roads anymore? Maybe its just the part of the country I'm in, or maybe with todays drive by wire 250hp turbo four cylinders in a plain Jane SUV that handle and accelerate like an 80's Corvette it just got really easy to speed. I dont know. Whatever it is, riding got ruined for me, I dont see any more bikes in my future. People on the roads just drive like nuts to the point where its just not enjoyable anymore. Quite a few of my coworkers who ride saying the same thing and giving up riding.

LR: AlleyCat sold his '83 Kawi GPZ750 after being run off the road inches from the guardrail getting on Route 495 S in Lawrence. Some stupe in a Z28 wanted to beat me up the onramp.

Came back to the apartment tossed my helmet across the room saying a few choice words and hung up the leather.

Missed it - but knew when to cut the losses. Two years later, rushing too work in the Winter, I slipped and fell down a whole flight of stairs outside the apartment and shattered my forearm and wrist. Slip and fall on ice. Ha.

Fast forward to the end of the heady '80s, my roomate and I, now living in Derry, NH. decided to have a car project and we purchased a 80% built '23 T bucket roadster. Real vintage T frame with aftermarket glass body. Wood tiller, no power steering. We finished it off. Nothing special. Just a mild 350 and a TH350, headers and sidepipes, those big fat M/T street tires in the back like the Muenster Mobile.
( note: easy to do an alignment toe -in you just twist the tierod right up front - hanging right out there
smile.gif
)

I will tell you that car was a blast to drive. Surprisingly good steering.Fast, but really fun to burble around town in. and you are wide open to the air. Plus it give you something to tinker with and leave the modern car alone. Check it out. Big bang for little bucks. I'd go flathead If I was building one today.

I started riding in 1969, but do very little anymore-as in very selected areas and times-such as rural with good sight lines and light Sunday morning traffic. I think overpopulation is the true source of many 'problems'.

Last week, I got pushed out of my lane. She didn't even look when she moved over with her minivan. I was [censored] but what can I do? I may need to modify my exhaust so people can hear because they are not looking. I'm still riding until I can't due to old age.

Originally Posted by Tundragod
Last week, I got pushed out of my lane. She didn't even look when she moved over with her minivan. I was [censored] but what can I do? I may need to modify my exhaust so people can hear because they are not looking...

TIP: With the windows up, A/C cranked and the stereo blasting ... the driver still won't hear you !

Loud pipes DON'T save lives ... they make you deaf and those around you angry. And ANGRY car drivers are NOT what you want to deal with as a motorcyclist.

With today's world of distractions in driving, people have a hard enough time controlling their own vehicle let along looking out for other big rigs, truck, cars and lastly motorbikes. Heck pedestrians are more at risk now than ever.

I would listen to your own thoughts and make the call. No one will judge you for listening to yourself and it will be one less worry to have on your plate.

Recently I gave up off road 4 wheeling (atv) due to listening to my inner self. Now, a couple of years later, I don't regret it one bit and am actually pleased that I made the choice on my own terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back