2015 Honda Civic PuP 0W-20, 7170 miles, 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man these results are concerning me. I didn't see anything in the oil drain pan to indicate increased wear. Cut the filter open, didn't see anything either.

What should I be looking for? Don't even know where to start. Could it possibly be left over aluminum from the machining process?

I also don't know why the flashpoint would be that low...

The only other thing I could think of is, two weeks or so before I did this oil change I had an experience I never had with this car before. In the parking lot after work, I cranked the engine and it sounded like it was having a really hard time, barely catching on. Once it started I drove to the gas station, filled up, then when I went to turn it back on, nothing. I tried again and I heard what sounded like some kind of grinding or sliding? I turned the ignition back to off, then on and start and then it started up completely like normal. I thought this was at most an issue with the starter and wouldn't affect the oil.

[Linked Image]

I have noticed this with Pennzoil in general. My personal opinion is GTL base since it starts as gas it doesn't hold up on longer runs especially if you have fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
Could it possibly be left over aluminum from the machining process?
No, not at 28 thousand miles, usually.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
I also don't know why the flashpoint would be that low...
Some fuel dilution will do that. Yours isn't serious at all. You have the non-turbo four, 1.8L. The current 1.5L turbo one gets way too much fuel dilution.

Nothing you can do. I'd probably make sure a Fram Ultra oil filter is in place. Thats preventative anyway. It filters best of any I've seen any 4548-12 data on.
All your non-Al numbers look fine.

Since there may be a tad bit of fuel dilution, the extra aluminum may be coming from the sides of the pistons, allowing blowby from some small problem on the cylinder walls and piston. Could be from the bi-metal aluminum crankshaft bearings though. Those noises you heard sound like something in the aluminum piston area is scraping more than it should.

"Those noises you heard sound like something in the aluminum piston area is scraping more than it should."

Can anyone really hear pistons scraping as described? If so then it would have to be something catastrophic going on. I hope not for the OP's sake.

Grinding on startup would tell me to check the starter gear.

I don't believe it was anything piston related. I don't even fully recall if it was grinding, I just remember hearing something that sounded like sliding.

I have a family member who has a Civic of a different gen and he would have those issues all the time where he would try to start, hear a sound, back the ignition off, then it starts up like normal.

If it was something catastrophic, I assume I would see some indication of it by now? Especially since I drive 5 days a week, 50 miles on the highway and it's been roughly a month since. The car hasn't had a single issue since.

The aluminum thing is going to eat at me. I really hope it isn't the PuP. Maybe there's something wrong with the additives? I did see a little additive fallout at the bottom of the containers even after vigorous shaking. I see less moly and zinc than the average. Could it be lacking those?

Originally Posted by parshisa
Useless comment of the day award goes to warrior

Who was he before ? FLP and not Texas but S. Texas ?

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
The issue is the inferior oil that you are using. I will keep it American and go for Valvoline or Mobil 1.

Let me guess, you drive an "American" car?

Whoever he was he still is a winner for the day lol

I think there are several of the same person here at the moment.

Could it just be that this analysis by blackstone is flawed? They have been known to make mistakes before

Originally Posted by PimTac

BB5B03DC-F047-4160-AA15-82542E618CAD.png

Originally Posted by 4WD

Its the dude with the dollar nissan versa
lol.gif

No worse than the other sponsored members.

We have a 2015 Civic LX 4dr sedan with the same engine and similar mileage(~29Kmiles). I have NOT heard any strange noises in this engine. Try a different oil brand and filter.

Maybe try a 5W20 synthetic this time. Thus far, I am using Super Tech full synthetic and Quaker State Ultimate Durability full syn. Prior owner used dealer OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back