Garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a new home and I need 3 openers. I had the builder leave them off because I wanted to pick them out myself.

Does anyone have a preference on garage door openers?

Belt, chain, screw, direct drive.... brand, etc...

Ive got two chain driven Craftsman ones that are around 40 years old. They are chamberlain relabeled.

Chamberlain (and Craftsman et al rebrands) are everywhere so it is easiest to get parts for them, cheaper through 3rd parties.

There's probably some site that has pros and cons for each drive type. I formerly had a chain drive and it worked fine but I disliked lubing it so switched to belt. The belt wore out in a bit over a dozen years of use so had to buy a new belt, though the only place it wore much was right where it rested on the pulley at the door end.

Chain needs adjusted when you install and "maybe" adjusted later. Belt needs adjusted when put on and definitely later but this is just turning a nut a few turns, if you never do it, it may not matter unless it is sagging down on a greasy rail while you don't want a belt to get any grease on it.

Screw drive, I don't see the justification to spend the extra money.

after 40 years in the home remodeling business , I've installed all of them , probably most brands all seem to work well, belt drive is quieter than the others...myself I use chain drives in my own house ...had a craftsman that lasted over 25 years and removed that ,installed another chain drive craftsman, chain drives are generally less expensive

When it came time to replace the one that came with the house everyone said to get a Craftsman belt drive so that's what I did, that was around 2007 and I've done nothing to it since it was installed. The only issue and a minor one is sometimes the light on one side blows bulbs but I think all I need to do is get a heavy duty bulb.

Liftmaster. The one with the battery backup should the power fail as well as Wifi interface so you can check status from anywhere, notification when door opens etc. Daughter has one and I have a previous version of it. Great openers, belt driven, extremely quiet. Great warranty as well

If dealer installed the rail is one piece, if you purchase from a retailer the rail is in two pieces.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would look at the new direct drive that mount on the wall.

My brother in law has one of these, it is a very clean look not having anything hanging from the ceiling.

Man, I think if I was building new, or replacing, I'd be all over that LiftMaster 8500.

Currently have a LiftMaster belt drive and like it.

I'm looking forward to the day our garage door opener fails and I get to install one of those wall mounted jack shaft openers.

Wall mount but chances are your walls are finished and the outlet is placed for a belt or chain unit.

I have a Summers Direct Drive. Lifetime warranty and the quitest opener I have ever owned. Made in Germany.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I have the Liftmaster 8500 and it is GREAT.
NO Belt, NO Screw, NO Chain Drives.

Liftmaster8500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlssvr9irfQ

Sold on E-Bay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...S0&_nkw=liftmaster+8500&_sacat=0

This 100%. When my opener went out, I asked for advice here on BITOG and I couldn't be happier that I followed everyone's recommendations to get the Liftmaster 8500. I'll never go back to a standard garage door opener. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but it's well worth it.

You can also now get the 8500W, which has wifi connectivity and backup battery built in. With the original 8500, the internet gateway and backup battery are extra features that have to be purchased separately.

Also, it's not absolutely necessary to have a new electrical outlet installed as shown in that video. I just ran an extension cord from the garage door opener outlet on the ceiling.

I've got 3 Liftmaster 8500s, and had 2 on my previous house. Very quiet. Highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back