Educate me about this BMW filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a 2019 330i and ordered a Mann oil filter for it. This being my first ever BMW I wasn't ready to see this quirky oil filter design. Here is the pic....
[Linked Image]

What is the purpose of this design?

Cartridge type oil filter ... it's an element only design that goes inside a cavity built into the engine block. Saves on materials to make an oil filter.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Cartridge type oil filter ... it's an element only design that goes inside a cavity built into the engine block. Saves on materials to make an oil filter.

I get the cartridge part. What is the purpose of that black tip on the top?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Saves on materials to make an oil filter.

That way they can charge you more for the vehicle manufacturer name
lol.gif

Yeah, pay more for less materials and manufacturing steps.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Saves on materials to make an oil filter.

That way they can charge you more for the vehicle manufacturer name
lol.gif

There is a reason why BMW stands for Bring My Wallet lol

The tip I believe sits in the bypass valve. If the filter was clogged it would lift up and the oil would bypass.

When you lift the filter out the part with the o ring lets the oil that is in the canister drain into the pan. On engines equipped with this type change the filter before draining the oil.
IIRC the bypass is mounted on the filter mount or block.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
The tip I believe sits in the bypass valve. If the filter was clogged it would lift up and the oil would bypass.

Originally Posted by Trav
When you lift the filter out the part with the o ring lets the oil that is in the canister drain into the pan. On engines equipped with this type change the filter before draining the oil.
IIRC the bypass is mounted on the filter mount or block.

It makes sense now. Thank you guys.

I've grown to like these style filters, you can easily see if there is any debris in the pleats without having to cut open a metal canister.

Cartridge filters are great. My N62 cartridge filter cap actually has its own drain plug built into it to drain the oil out before removing the cartridge (since it sits inverted under the engine). Pretty handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back