Ever “tipped” a worker to get a fat discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially at large companies that have spots all over. Any success, regardless of the product/service offered?

No, someone once betted $20 that I couldn't put 4 new tires on their car in 20 minutes. I had another guy come over and help, and split the profit.

Always tip the person working registration at Vegas hotels $20. It works wonders. All of the sudden upgrades are available and even gotten suites a few times. I will tip the tire guy if he fixes a flat for free or helps breaking the bead on my beadlock rims. Being nice to someone and giving them a little cash at a lower paid/appreciated job works wonders. I hate the mandatory tip places. Just charge me what I am supposed to pay.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Especially at large companies that have spots all over. Any success, regardless of the product/service offered?

An employee taking Cash & performing a task/selling merchandise at a discounted rate without approval is called THEFT.
If people would put forth half the effort into WORKING as they do trying to GAME the system.....

If it doesn't feel right, it isn't.

I once 'tipped' a dealership parts guy (via proxy... friend of a friend) a 12-pack for a woodgrain dash insert for my brand new 1980 F-150.

I drove that thing for sixteen years and, for sixteen years, a stolen walnut-grained dash insert faced me for about 160,000 miles of driving. It's on my long list of regrets; what seemed ok when I was 23 years old ended up being a bummer for me and the guy who I tempted into theft.

Advice from an old guy: if you're sure you have no soul and/or conscience, go ahead and do it.

Is this what you plan to do with the funds generated from breeding blind fish in a Rubbermaid container? I thought you'd invest in a vat of cheap cologne.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Is this what you plan to do with the funds generated from breeding blind fish in a Rubbermaid container? I thought you'd invest in a vat of cheap cologne.

Please see a psychologist. You'll enjoy life better.

Originally Posted by goggomobil
If it doesn't feel right, it isn't.

I once 'tipped' a dealership parts guy (via proxy... friend of a friend) a 12-pack for a woodgrain dash insert for my brand new 1980 F-150.

I drove that thing for sixteen years and, for sixteen years, a stolen walnut-grained dash insert faced me for about 160,000 miles of driving. It's on my long list of regrets; what seemed ok when I was 23 years old ended up being a bummer for me and the guy who I tempted into theft.

Advice from an old guy: if you're sure you have no soul and/or conscience, go ahead and do it.

How are you so sure he didn't just move numbers around in such a way that it wasn't theft? Perhaps he had leeway in setting prices?

Dealerships typically throw stuff in for free to hit quotas for bonus from the factory.

This was a trim part, specific to an all-new F-series truck; it was a 1980 part in the year 1980. He had to order it from Ford's parts depot in Livonia, MI. He stole it. There is no way to otherwise rationalize (or label with euphemisms) what I put him up to.

This was a trim part, specific to an all-new F-series truck; it was a 1980 part in the year 1980. He had to order it from Ford's parts depot in Livonia, MI. He stole it. There is no way to otherwise rationalize (or label with euphemisms) what I put him up to.

39 years ago? I'd say it's safe to move on and leave your guilt in the disco era.

39 years ago? I'd say it's safe to move on and leave your guilt in the disco era.

If thats where all of his guilt lays, hes had a pretty good life.

No tipping in New Zealand....and I wouldn't try it to get a better deal, you'd end up with no deal at all.

Originally Posted by Astro14
You mean bribe?

No.

With your line of work, answering yes would have been the start of an interesting story.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

If thats where all of his guilt lays, hes had a pretty good life.

Think about it this way. Just imagine how many people that dealership screwed over. All you did was even out the score ;^)

Back when I drank....I'd sit at a nice bar for a few hours.

I guarantee my bill should have been $100.

Instead, it was $15. But he made $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back