How many hours would you expect from a small engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours would you think would be what you consider "your money's worth" out of a small engine before it needs a significant repair of some sort? When I sold my Corolla at 177K miles it was still going strong, but at that point I figured I had totally gotten my money's worth. Every $ I made when I sold it was just a bonus to me.

The 22HP Briggs in my Craftsman rider is about 15 years old now and has about 600 hours. I think the lower seal is starting to fail, since there has been a small puddle of oil under it the last couple of times I have parked it in the garage. I'm not sure how hard it is to replace, so there's a small voice whispering my ear that I should consider it to have met my expectations, sell it on Craigslist and go buy a new one. I've put a few dollars into it replacing deck belts, blades and spindles but all the engine has required is gas, oil, and filters. I replaced the fuel pump but it turned out the issue was just a clogged vent, so that doesn't really count.

At what point do you consider that you've gotten your money's worth from a mower or other small gas engine?

Originally Posted by Elkins45
At what point do you consider that you've gotten your money's worth from a mower or other small gas engine?

When the cost of repair is more than the cost of a replacement. That's my answer.

But I'm not talking about the labor cost. I'm talking about the parts cost.

Your engine just needs a new oil seal. But if you have to hire out the labor, it may be more cost effective for you to replace the mower.

Remember, you are posting this to a forum with a bunch of handyman and tinkerer types...

It's not unusual for folks here to pick cast-off's from front lawns on trash day and get them running again just for the fun of it.

My personal perspective with OPE is run it 'til it pukes, all the while keeping it in good enough maintenance/repair to ensure minimum 10+ years of service. Steel mower decks tend to start rotting out around that time in my experience.

Others here will wax the underside of the mower deck and polish the custom rims they installed, all while posting the pictures of their latest mower wax amd detail job.

It's all personal preference really....

If it is the shaft seal and this mower has an electric clutch, those clutches can be a bugger to get off the shaft without destroying it.

I'm not 100% certain I have the skill to replace it myself, but since I'm retired I have more time than money to pay a repair shop. Certainly the plan would be to keep pouring oil into it and running it until the mowing season ends unless it totally blows out. That way I could take my time with the repair.

It's just a simple pulley and no electric clutch. I assume the engine has to come off the frame and the bottom end has to be unbolted to drive out the old seal, correct?

It's just a simple pulley and no electric clutch. I assume the engine has to come off the frame and the bottom end has to be unbolted to drive out the old seal, correct?

Typically yes, the engine has to come off. Just pulleys on the shaft is sweet. You can cut them off if needed.

These days You Tube is worth a look before you get all greasy and maybe skin a knuckle. Put a pan under it and check the level before every mow. Until the season is over. The engine will run forever if you stay ahead of the leak.
grin2.gif

PS There used to be an ABC rating or something for small engines. I know of guys mowing with 50 yr old Lawnboy 2 strokes. Modern oils have increased the possible hrs. The biggest factor is the operating environment and oil level attention.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
If it is a seal then I have had excellent results using automotive stop leak to soften and condition the seal. Use about 1/4 of a normal dose, it it uses 2 quarts then use half dose. It stops my leaks.

Rod

Originally Posted by Imp4
Remember, you are posting this to a forum with a bunch of handyman and tinkerer types...

It's not unusual for folks here to pick cast-off's from front lawns on trash day and get them running again just for the fun of it.

My personal perspective with OPE is run it 'til it pukes, all the while keeping it in good enough maintenance/repair to ensure minimum 10+ years of service. Steel mower decks tend to start rotting out around that time in my experience.

Others here will wax the underside of the mower deck and polish the custom rims they installed, all while posting the pictures of their latest mower wax amd detail job.

It's all personal preference really....

Guilty as charged on snagging non runners just to fix up, I usually spray some sort of oil spray under the deck once a year to prevent rust

If it is a Briggs Vanguard, Kawasaki, Kohler Command, or Honda, 2000-3000 hours.
The cheap Briggs like the Intek garbage they put on box store riders are usually whooped by 600 hours, same with the Kohler courage.

The 22HP Briggs in my Craftsman rider is about 15 years old now and has about 600 hours....... sell it on Craigslist and go buy a new one.

That particular engine lasting 600 hours is NO surprise.

However, 15 years on a Craftsman rider??
It's not worth much to anyone at this point.

The seal isn't hard to change, you can do it in an hour,
or 2 hours if beer is involved (or friends are "helping").

Do that, then run it until you got your money's worth out of the belts and spindles.

Once you reach THAT point.................................. sell it on craigslist for $300

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Remember, you are posting this to a forum with a bunch of handyman and tinkerer types... It's not unusual for folks here to pick cast-off's from front lawns on trash day and get them running again just for the fun of it.

Guilty as charged on snagging non runners just to fix up, I usually spray some sort of oil spray under the deck once a year to prevent rust

Same.

I've got 3-4 chainsaws, 2-3 weedaters, and a half dozen rider mowers waiting to be "repurposed"

I'm not 100% certain I have the skill to replace it myself, but since I'm retired I have more time than money to pay a repair shop. Certainly the plan would be to keep pouring oil into it and running it until the mowing season ends unless it totally blows out. That way I could take my time with the repair.

Awhile ago I had a Sears riding mower just for the dog pen. My Kubota did the rest. Same basic issue as yours. I just added oil each time I mowed. Was the cheapest fix. I left it in dog pen when I moved.

Originally Posted by cronk
The cheap Briggs like the Intek garbage they put on box store riders are usually whooped by 600 hours, same with the Kohler courage.
One half of me would like to think you are joking here. The other more calculating half says that 600 hours equals 15 years x 40 hours per year. That may well be the design lifespan for a homeowner grade mower.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Post up the Briggs & Stratton engine numbers if you have time.

407577-0283-E1

I think former poster Clevy claimed he had 5,000 to 6,000 hours on Honda GX engines running air compressors for his construction company. I believe I also read about a guy living off the grid who got 15,000 plus hours out of a Yamaha generator.

Good point. My brother and I have done that for years, and made some $$ selling OPE. My brother got me doing it. I was amazed at the condition [good] of things people would toss. All they needed was a few $$ in parts and a little time. Sometimes no parts at all, just a little know how. I guess the cost of repair $85-$100/hr around here to fix OPE makes tossing it a no brainer for someone who isn't handy, and a great way to make a few $$ for someone who is handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back