What is the last year Toyota Camrys had R134a

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at newer low millage Camrys and wonder if newer years are now using the much more expensive R 1234YF.

What was/is the last year Camrys use R 134a?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'd check under the hood of any car and look for stickers indicating the refrigerant used.

My guess, and it's just that, that prior to 2017, they were still using R134a. I believe I read somewhere that 2017 was when Japanese automakers were starting the move to R1234YF. But if that applies to all, and when they move is probably not well published. So whatever you look at, check under the hood if this is important to you.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I am looking at newer low millage Camrys and wonder if newer years are now using the much more expensive R 1234YF.

What was/is the last year Camrys use R 134a?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

What's odd as heck is I have no trouble buying R134A for refrigeration purposes (with 1/4" flare connector), but the Acme ones are slowly getting harder to find.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
most likely they will push the lawmakers to require a license when handling R134a.

Not most likely, but it has been the law for over a year now.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why is that even in your buying decision? Back around 1993 the old R12 was replaced by R134. Now R12 is very expensive while the replacement is cheap.

I keep cars for a very long time, and when they get old sometimes the A/C system requires service. The A/C in my 1985 Olds 88 2 door still works but the condenser has been replaced years ago keeping it R12, and a couple of years ago the compressor had to be replaced, and then it got converted to R 134a.

The price of R1234YF is extremely high and if the A/C ever had to be serviced it would cost much less if it were a R 134a system.

The price of R1234YF is extremely high and if the A/C ever had to be serviced it would cost much less if it were a R 134a system.

When R134 is phased out years ahead it will be very expensive like R12 now. As R1234 gets widespread, it's price will drop.

Last edited:
They will probably discover R1234 causes global cooling and a crisis will be started where R5678ZG will be mandated for all cars.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I assume that someone will find a way to use r134a in newer cars designed to use R1234YF.

You already can. Operating pressures are virtually identical between the two. Charging port adapters already exist. The only thing "preventing" you from doing so is the EPA.

Just wait until California starts doing smog checks on your air conditioner
smirk.gif

BTW, no one has yet answered the initial question and I don't know the answer.

Because there are too many factors.

Pick a car you like and look under the hood. There will be an SAE J639 standard sticker describing the refrigerant charge and lubricant used.

Chances are, since cars can be built in more than one factory, we cannot tell you exactly when a particular model switched.

I believe the Camry is built in at least two plants in the US plus Japan for North American consumers.

If this is really important, you'll need to look at the J639 sticker before you buy a car.

Originally Posted by atikovi

When R134 is phased out years ahead it will be very expensive like R12 now. As R1234 gets widespread, it's price will drop.

Yep - even though right now it's only Chemours(the former chemicals arm of DuPont) and Honeywell who are making HFOs, the sole global plants making the world's supply are in China. Either Chemours or Honeywell spun up a new plant in Texas or Louisiana. But there is a patent battle as well.

https://www.aspenrefrigerants.com/n...unce-new-manufacturing-plants-hfo-1234yf
https://refrigeranthq.com/honeywell-chemours-monopoly-1234yf-refrigerant/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back