Ecoboost mustang long term reliability

Hey guys the warranty is almost up on my wife's VW golf sportwagon and we will be looking to trade it in and also trade our way out of the $400 dollar new car payment into a sub $300 payment. I love my f150 2.7 eco so much that I'm considering the eco mustang circa 2015-16. She loves the looks as well as I and I think the ecoboost will be a great balance of miles per gallon and smiles per gallon. Been doing some searching and can't find any owners with experiences above 75k or so. Just hoping some folks here can chime in on overall reliability of the 2.3eco as well as the rest of the car. It would be the 6 speed auto. We travel constantly so the car will see many many interstate miles and about 30 percent city miles. Thanks for any info.

Been doing research on Mustang GTs of the same vintage (6th gen). Think the biggie is the ac evap that can leak. Requires dash removal and not sure if the revised part really solves it or not. Haven't heard anything bad about the auto and think the ecoboost would be as good/bad as what you have in your F150.

mustang6g.com seems to be the forum of choice for those vehicles.

While we don't have the Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost we do have a 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 Ecoboost and 6 speed transmission. It runs great, lots of power and decent fuel mileage considering the weight of the our vehicle. In the 40,000 miles we've owned it it has had 2 engine issues. The front engine cover(timing chain cover) and the water pump leaked. They were both taken care of under warranty. If you're looking at a used vehicle check for these leaks, ours is a new bought vehicle. The water pump on the 2.3 is external and easy to replace unlike the 3.5/3.7 on some vehicles where it's internal. I still drive our old 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer and the new 2.3 EB Explorer is quicker and faster responding and gets almost 2x the mpg.

Whimsey

properly build + maintained a turbo'd engine can last without issue, but todays DI with a turbo can have issues. the focus RS had big problems using that engine but i "think" it was cured. ford seems to have carbon issues more common with turbo'd DI engines under control but smaller engines pushed harder can have longevity issues. IMO todays newest technology is a crap shoot at best + as long as you steer clear of CVT's + undefeatable stop start chances for a long happy life can be good. can't see how you can pass VW's newer 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty. just keep searching + reading on various forums to learn of possible issues, good luck as i like sporty RWD cars like the mustang unless you need to drive in the snow.

Reactions: NDL
The Ecoboost has both port injection and DI, so you won't every have to clean the intake valves, saving you lots of $$. Excellent design. Just go easy on the turbo

The focus RS has had some HG teething issues with that motor but it may be limited to that vehicle. I'm quite pleased with the 2.7 and feel the same way, if a sedan were in the picture, a 2.3L mustang would be a contender.

Originally Posted by meep
The focus RS has had some HG teething issues with that motor but it may be limited to that vehicle.

The Focus RS engine isn't related to the Mustang 2.3 EB, as far as I know.

Originally Posted by NO2
The Ecoboost has both port injection and DI, so you won't every have to clean the intake valves, saving you lots of $$. Excellent design. Just go easy on the turbo

?

Originally Posted by NO2
The Ecoboost has both port injection and DI, so you won't every have to clean the intake valves, saving you lots of $$. Excellent design.

I hope more manufacturers go this route, as valve deposits that can't be cleaned without disassembly really turn me off to DI engines. Since we're on the subject of Mustangs, does the Coyote use the same technology? You know, for when my 4.6 kicks the bucket in another 300,000 miles.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by NO2

You're thinking of the Gen 2 3.5. 2.3 is straight up D.I.

I stand corrected. It appears that the 2.7 ECB, 3.3 Normal, 3.5ECB, and 5.0ECB all have both. The 5.0 is avalilable in 2018+ Mustangs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2

Please explain how the engine has both port injection and direct injection. Sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by NO2

Please explain how the engine has both port injection and direct injection. Sounds interesting.

The V6 engines have 4 fuel rails. 2 are high pressure, and 2 are low pressure. They also have high and low pressure sensors. Its my understanding it normally runs on direct injection, but then uses the port injectors to supplement at WOT.

Pretty sure Toyota does it too. The engine runs primarily on DI, but still has port injectors to wash down the valves every now and then to prevent carbon build-up.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Linctex
meep said:
The focus RS has had some HG teething issues with that motor but it may be limited to that vehicle.

Originally Posted by benjy
properly build + maintained a turbo'd engine can last without issue, but todays DI with a turbo can have issues. the focus RS had big problems using that engine but i "think" it was cured. ford seems to have carbon issues more common with turbo'd DI engines under control but smaller engines pushed harder can have longevity issues. IMO todays newest technology is a crap shoot at best + as long as you steer clear of CVT's + undefeatable stop start chances for a long happy life can be good. can't see how you can pass VW's newer 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty. just keep searching + reading on various forums to learn of possible issues, good luck as i like sporty RWD cars like the mustang unless you need to drive in the snow.

The problem with the RS wasn't the engine per se. It was when they built the engine in Spain, they used the wrong Ford 2.3 head gasket. It was a manufacturing issue, not an engineering issue. Head gaskets were replaced and problems were resolved. What carbon issues do you speak of Ford Ecoboost engines. Are these real or perceived?

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
What carbon issues do you speak of Ford Ecoboost engines. Are these real or perceived?

I've posed that same question on a couple of F150 sites. I've heard how the Ecoboost engines are prone to carbon build up issues since these engines came out. People dispensing advice on how to minimize it. How you should drive your truck. All manner of random things. When asked to show some sort of evidence of this being an issue for the 2.7/3.5 and you get crickets. Or an explanation on how all di engines "do it". I suspect that the engines have been out there long enough that if carbon were an issue, there would be a thread or two. There is not.

I have a 2016 2.3L Mustang EB. The first engine failed at 61,000 miles, the replacement failed at 35,000 miles. I have a Mishimoto intercooler which is better than stock, Ford Performance CAI with its Ford Tune, and a catch can. I drive spirited and I live in Coachella Valley. If it goes below 100° that feels like fall to me. I would not suggest a 4 cylinder turbo anything. Unless its a Subaru under warranty or extended service agreement. I spoke to a lawyer who said he makes a good living off the ecoboom. I love my car when it is running. If you get one with MagneRide and the High Performace (special order around $41,000, it might be worth it) just trade it before the warranty is up. Why not a peppy Honda? Probably what I will buy while I am waiting to see whats covered for parts on my EB, now a week in the shop.

This isn't true for every single EcoBoost. Dual fuel injection was only added in the later generations.

Back