Types of Mobil 1 oil for F-150 3.5 EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to switch from Amsoil to Mobil 1 but it seems like there are many different types of Mobil 1.
I went on Mobil 1's website and they currently do not have recommended oil for a 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost.
I am thinking they just didn't update it for the near year.

Mobil 1 Annual Protection
Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synethetic
Mobi l1 Extended Performance High Milage
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

After looking at the Mobil 1 website, it seems the Annual Protection has the best ratings and properties.
With Mobil 1 Advanced being the worst. Any feedback?
Is it weird that AutoZone will sell Mobil 1 EP for $45.99 and Walmart has it for $25.77?

Last edited:
Use an oil that carries the manufacturer's approvals and requirements for your engine. What are they?

I didn't see where you answered that in the other thread you started, nor the other questions people asked.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Use an oil that carries the manufacturer's approvals and requirements for your engine. What are they?

I didn't see where you answered that in the other thread you started, nor the other questions people asked.

Yeah I did, it's on page 4 of the last thread. Thinking of moving away from Amsoil because of this and was starting to look at Mobil 1 but they have multiple types.
5-30w and the below:
Use motor oils of the recommended viscosity and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

Last edited:
Ford has updated their standards to -B1 versions in response to the special needs of Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engines like your EcoBoost.
I think any of the oils you list in the recommended grade for your truck that show a -B1 Ford standard on the jug would be great choices.

M1 high mileage. Really any oil that meets the specs will do the job.

Originally Posted by dseg42
Yeah I did, it's on page 4 of the last thread. Thinking of moving away from Amsoil because of this and was starting to look at Mobil 1 but they have multiple types.
5-30w and the below:
Use motor oils of the recommended viscosity and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

Isn't it an oil that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C946-B1? If so, that is why ExxonMobil says they do not have a suitable oil since as far as I know none of their oils meet WSS-M2C946-B1.

Edit- I'll take that back, it appears as though Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck & SUV meets WSS-M2C946-B1. Good luck finding that at a reasonable price however. The new Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil might be easier to find and meets the required specification in 5W-30:

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...18/rotella-gas-truck-0w-20-sellsheet.pdf

I see that all the time at NAPA and elsewhere.

As long as the alphabet soup oil standard in the manual matches what's on the oil's product data sheet or label, it's fine. You're probably overthinking all of this. An alternative solution would be to have a Ford dealer perform all routine oil changes until all warranties have expired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dseg42
Looking to switch from Amsoil to Mobil 1 but it seems like there are many different types of Mobil 1.
I went on Mobil 1's website and they currently do not have recommended oil for a 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost.
I am thinking they just didn't update it for the near year.

Mobil 1 Annual Protection
Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synethetic
Mobi l1 Extended Performance High Milage
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

After looking at the Mobil 1 website, it seems the Annual Protection has the best ratings and properties.
With Mobil 1 Advanced being the worst. Any feedback?
Is it weird that AutoZone will sell Mobil 1 EP for $45.99 and Walmart has it for $25.77?

No, it's not weird, it's called GREED!

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
No, it's not weird, it's called GREED!

I wondered if this was how the thread was going to go.

Originally Posted by dave1251
SuperTech at the factory recommended is more than what you need.

Pretty sure he didn't ask about SuperTech.

I'd run a UOA to see how bad fuel dilution is. OCI will likely be short enough to not really get any benefit from an extended drain oil (EP, AP).

Does the manual call for the b1 spec?

Castrol magnetec seems to get rave reviews from ecoboost owners, with many great UOA's.

Vehicle specific forums will have favorites that seem to work well. Subaru loved rotella, Tacoma's love Mobil1, magnetec seems to be popular with ecoboosts.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Several M1 oils meet the new Ford spec....

M1 Oil Specs

Thanks tenderloin. Looks like most of the EP varieties plus that Truck & SUV unicorn.

EM needs to update their web selector apparently.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99

Pretty sure it does not matter.

I don't believe it has the Ford approval?

Originally Posted by jcartwright99

Pretty sure it does not matter.

Pretty sure Mobil 1 with a rebate is cheaper than SuperTech synthetic.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

No, it doesn't.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

No, it doesn't.

It has it. API SN+ ISLAC GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back