2008 Nissan Maxima Valvoline High Mileage 5W30 10,000 miles on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2008 Nissan Maxima
Oil: Valvoline High Mileage 5W30 with K&N filter.
Make up Oil: 2 quarts (1 quart 5w30 and 1 quart 0W30)
Miles on Oil: 10,004 miles (I am rounding it up and saying I used the oil for 10,000 miles).
Current mileage on vehicle: 250,000 miles (I have owned car since brand new in 2008)

Read more on my maintenance thread; My 2008 Maxima maintenance thread...

Odometer with 250,000 miles. I am currently at 251,300 miles on odometer
[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
this reminds me when the water pump seals went bad on my maxima's VQ30 and started dumping some antifreeze in the oil - got similar UOA results

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Was this run low on oil? Rather high wear rates.

Not really low on oil. I usually need to add 1 quart of oil at the 4,000 mile mark.

So, after my oil change, I did have to add oil when I had gone about 4,000 miles. Then at about almost 8,000 miles I added 1 quart again. Then I changed the oil at 10,000 miles of use.

So, it was not really low on oil.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Ouch! Why did you go 10K on your oil?

I didn't see a reason why not to do 10,000 miles since I have been using oil and filter that should last that long.

If you look at my maintenance thread, I have been doing 10K oil changes for a long time now. I keep a pretty good detailed maintenance log about my cars.

I had never done a UOA before because honestly I didn't think it would do me any good.

But after seeing so many on here and because I plan to keep this car for a long time, I was curious to see how I am faring. That is why I did my first ever UOA at 240k, which was when I felt the most urge to get one done.

Since then, I decided to make sure to do a second one to have one to compare to.

I plan for my next oil change to be at 5,000 miles. It would be interesting to see. On the other hand, I am thinking of not doing another UOA at 5k, but just change my oil and filter and run another 5,000 miles before doing a UOA.

I bought this car brand new. I honestly never thought I would still have this car today. I have tried 2 times to sell this car and never sold it because of lowball offers I had. One from dealership at trade in and one from local buyers. So, I gave up and decided the car would serve me better. This was at 170k mark and 190k mark.

Now that the car has reached 251,000 miles, I am bent on taking this car to atleast 300,000 miles.

If anybody thinks it will not make it, let me know so I can try to fix some things. Besides, I do my best to keep up with maintenance, though the car is not perfect. It is my daily driver and does a pretty decent job and it still gets to 120mph like nothing.

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
I bought this car brand new. I honestly never thought I would still have this car today. I have tried 2 times to sell this car and never sold it because of lowball offers I had. One from dealership at trade in and one from local buyers. So, I gave up and decided the car would serve me better. This was at 170k mark and 190k mark.

Now that the car has reached 251,000 miles, I am bent on taking this car to atleast 300,000 miles.

If anybody thinks it will not make it, let me know so I can try to fix some things. Besides, I do my best to keep up with maintenance, though the car is not perfect. It is my daily driver and does a pretty decent job and it still gets to 120mph like nothing.

Why does title say M1 5w30 but UOA says Maxlife? Hmmm

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Why does title say M1 5w30 but UOA says Maxlife? Hmmm

Thanks for pointing that out to me. My bad.

Yeah, my fault for looking at my last thread here and trying to copy it to make sure the title looks the same to this one in many ways, then forgetting to change the Mobil 1 to Valvoline Highmileage.

Can a moderator please change it for me? I will try to see if I can change it.

If you look at my maintenance thread, I always take pictures at the dealership of the oil I am using at any oil change. Just click on the link on the first post and go see when I changed my last oil. All perfect details are on there. I drained Mobil 1 and I changed my oil with Valvoline Highmileage. Pictures to show for you. Just click link there and see. I just made a mistake here. I will try to change it myself, if not, I hope a moderator can help me out.

Here is a link to my last UOA for said vehicle for you to see.

My last UOA on my 2008 Nissan Maxima...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
high mileage oil and 5k changes.

I have now in the car 10w30 mixed with 0w30. I used a larger filter, not the stock filter for a 2008 Nissan Maxima. I used a filter meant for my 2012 Infiniti QX56/80.

I will run this oil for 5,000 miles only and change it. Or I may change it at about 4,000 miles which is when I usually need 1 quart of make up oil. I would hate to add 1 quart oil and change the oil at 5,000 miles. In fact, I may just run the current oil for 3,500 miles and change it then because it may be like half a quart low by then. I have not fixed the problem yet for the leakage. All I know is I need to get this car to atleast 300,000 miles.

After then, it can die any time it wants, though if it gets there I still hope to keep it as best as I can.

I didn't see a reason why not to do 10,000 miles since I have been using oil and filter that should last that long.

10,000 should be attainable with your lube choice. However, the leaking head gasket is obviously throwing a big wrench into those plans. If it were me in this situation and I were trying to nurse it the last 50,000 miles, I'd cut the OCI substantially, ditch the synthetic, and run a conventional 10w-30 HDEO. You'll have a little extra viscosity reserve and any coolant intrusion (assuming you're not at equilibrium) will be dumped earlier.

Originally Posted by Garak

10,000 should be attainable with your lube choice. However, the leaking head gasket is obviously throwing a big wrench into those plans. If it were me in this situation and I were trying to nurse it the last 50,000 miles, I'd cut the OCI substantially, ditch the synthetic, and run a conventional 10w-30 HDEO. You'll have a little extra viscosity reserve and any coolant intrusion (assuming you're not at equilibrium) will be dumped earlier.

Thanks a lot for that tip. I think I may take this advice.

I am truly considering doing only 3,500 oil changes, since by then I usually have lost about half a quart or more of oil. And maybe at the second 3,500 oil change, I will do another UOA.

I will stick with synthetic though since I get them for same price as dino oil. I currently have a small stash of 3 5 gallons (2 Pennzoil 5w30 and 1 Pennzoil 10w30) of oil that has just been sitting. Oil that I got from deals that I took advantage of from the rebates section here. So, I have enough oil to do the 3,500 miles and by the time I run out of my small stash, I am sure I would have found another deal to take advantage of some more oil.

Last edited:
17 PPM of chromium is probably the highest I've ever seen in a UOA. I would guess it's mostly from piston rings. Short OCIs with inexpensive oil would probably be the best approach to reduce the effect of the coolant on wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back