Is Redline Water Wetter Safe To Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I am currently looking for ways to help my 2018 Nissan 370Z run cooler. It is running between 220-240 degrees here in Florida. I need to know is Redline Water Wetter safe to use with 50/50 Genuine Nissan "Blue" coolant in a 2018 Nissan 370Z?? Is Redline Water Wetter safe for your water pump?? Does Redline Water Wetter have any advise affects and does it work??

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Redline WW has no place in your cooling system.

+1

Use less antifreeze. Worked on 65 hp Rotax water cooled motor on my Ultralight plane that was running too hot. Old mechanic said cut it down to 10% which solved my problem. Someting to try.

I wouldn't expect WW to make any difference if you are running 50/50 coolant, especially since your car/coolant is essentially new. I wouldn't expect any adverse effects either (other than wasting some $$).

Edit: just saw tc1446's excellent suggestion. Cutting the AF to 25% or less could help a lot, as long as you don't venture into -20 temps with it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Main intention was for racers to put this stuff in straight water.

Right! It has always been my understanding that RLWW is for race duty not for daily drivers. It was also my understanding that many tracks don't allow for conventional coolants. Since I don't race, IDKY?

spilled antifreeze is slick and more difficult to clean up than water. So it is banned in racing.

WW does not have the same problems, and improves cooling so they use it and drain before storing.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
spilled antifreeze is slick and more difficult to clean up than water. So it is banned in racing.

WW does not have the same problems, and improves cooling so they use it and drain before storing.

Rod

Doesn't improve cooling...

In non thermostat applications, if it reduces coolant temperature, it is transferring less heat.

And that's what they even put in print … coolant temperature (as opposed to engine temp) …

Well, I catch real fish on things made of plastic …

Originally Posted by tc1446
Use less antifreeze. Worked on 65 hp Rotax water cooled motor on my Ultralight plane that was running too hot. Old mechanic said cut it down to 10% which solved my problem. Someting to try.

That works great for a hot running engine, but you have to change out that mix OFTEN!

It has very little corrosion inhibitors in that mix.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Doesn't improve cooling...

In non thermostat applications, if it reduces coolant temperature, it is transferring less heat.

WW is supposedly a surfactant right?

Wouldn't the conclusion that it does or doesn't transfer more heat depend on where you were measuring the water temp? If before the rad it should measure higher, after it should measure cooler. In my BIL's SBC circle track car it lowered the indicated temp around 15 degrees. Did we actually raise operating temps?

Originally Posted by Nissanfan845
Hi everyone I am currently looking for ways to help my 2018 Nissan 370Z run cooler. It is running between 220-240 degrees here in Florida. I need to know is Redline Water Wetter safe to use with 50/50 Genuine Nissan "Blue" coolant in a 2018 Nissan 370Z?? Is Redline Water Wetter safe for your water pump?? Does Redline Water Wetter have any advise affects and does it work??

What is the engine designed to run at?

AZJeff,

thermodynamically, you have to look at the ultimate heat sink...the ambient temperature, the environment.

So looking at the water temperature into the radiator, that's the ultimate determinant of heat transferred from the engine to the environment, for a given mass flow rate of coolant into the radiator, the lower the temperature differential between the coolant and the ambient, the less heat was shifted.

Move back up the path, and the less heat shifted, for a given engine load, the higher the metal temperatures.

The early advertorials claimed that these "wetters" reduced nucleate boiling...which is an order of magnitude better at moving heat than convection, as there's a phase change...OTR rigs are starting to RELY on nucleate boiling as a thermal equilibrium control.

I've been contacted by people who have set engines up with cylinder head metal temperature thermocouples on a dyno and confirmed my analysis

Reactions: a5m
The early advertorials claimed that these "wetters" reduced nucleate boiling...which is an order of magnitude better at moving heat than convection, as there's a phase change...OTR rigs are starting to RELY on nucleate boiling as a thermal equilibrium control.

Originally Posted by Redline
Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL® and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

Yep, look at the many "benefits" of Redline WaterWetter. Especially note the last benefit, but also the others. The first one is interesting in that it reduces the coolant temperatures by up to 20°, beyond the "up to" part, why do you want to reduce the coolant temperature? Wouldn't you want to reduce the engine temperature? Nucleate boiling is what you want in order to do that. Even benefit #4 which seems to address this needs to be looked at carefully, what is it compared to? Straight water to a glycol/water mix? Then yes of course as shown below.

And Benefit #2, yes it is better than glycol based antifreeze. But your best heat transfer is going to be with straight water, so adding any glycol will always reduce the heat transfer.

In a warm climate the best approach is to use the minimum coolant concentration allowed by the manufacturer, whatever that may be. This will promote the most efficient heat transfer and requires no unnecessary additives.

I use it in my drag car. Distilled water + 1 bottle RL WW. When I put the car away for the winter at the end of each season, I drain it out and put in some cheap 50/50. Then before for the first race in spring, I swap it back out.

I only run it in the drag car for the little bit of corrosion protection. I'm not concerned about the heat transfer since it never sees over 180*F coolant temp anyway. We can't use antifreeze since it's banned so RL WW it is.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Originally Posted by Redline
Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL® and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

Yep, look at the many "benefits" of Redline WaterWetter. Especially note the last benefit, but also the others. The first one is interesting in that it reduces the coolant temperatures by up to 20°, beyond the "up to" part, why do you want to reduce the coolant temperature? Wouldn't you want to reduce the engine temperature? Nucleate boiling is what you want in order to do that. Even benefit #4 which seems to address this needs to be looked at carefully, what is it compared to? Straight water to a glycol/water mix? Then yes of course as shown below.

And Benefit #2, yes it is better than glycol based antifreeze. But your best heat transfer is going to be with straight water, so adding any glycol will always reduce the heat transfer.

In a warm climate the best approach is to use the minimum coolant concentration allowed by the manufacturer, whatever that may be. This will promote the most efficient heat transfer and requires no unnecessary additives.

The last line does sort of say it all.

• Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

I think what they're trying to say is that it helps if the cooling system is at the point where bubbles interfere with the ability to cool. Not sure I believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back