Newcastle Brown Ale replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw some of the new stuff today @ the store; A bit of a rebranding the caramel color is gone from the packaging.

The new stuff is clearly labelled as brewed in CA; I give them credit, if they are going to run a classic ale, at least they have the decently not to try to hide it.

Craft beers need to distinguish themselves from the mass produced lagers and there are only so many things they can change, such as color, alcohol content, carbonation level, and hops. As a result it seems most American craft beers are hop-bombs - not my taste, so I brew my own. Making beer is fun, easy, and cheap, and you can custom design the beer to your tastes.

Hops contribute bitterness, taste, and aroma, and the amount of each depends on how much and what kind of hops you add, and when. Hops added at the beginning of the boil contribute bitterness. Those added about 30-40 minutes in to the boil add taste, while hops added in the last 10 minutes of boil or later (during cool down or fermentation) add aroma. Most people like some bitterness to balanced the malt, but the hops taste and aroma is over the top for me in US IPAs. So I brew British style ales with more malt character, less hops, and less carbonation, everything from pale ales to cream stouts. My ales taste much more like what you get from the tap in an English or Irish pub and in my opinion better than anything I can buy here.

Bitterness is measured in IBUs (International Bitterness Units) and a typical British dark ale will usually be in the 20s, and pales ales might be in the 30s. American IPAs are more like 60 to 100+ IBUs, and are overloaded in hops taste and aroma as well. To me these high levels are more like hop cocktails than beer.

There are many recipes available on beer websites for all kinds of styles, including Newcastle Brown Ale. You can get all of the equipment needed for brewing (in a mesh bag) for about $100 or so (assuming you already have an 8-10 gallon stock pot) and thereafter the ingredients for a five gallon batch cost about $30 and yields two cases. You can also do three gallon batches in a standard 5 gallon stock pot. Takes about four hours on brew day, and another two hours for bottling three weeks later.

It is a disturbing trend that the craft brews are hopped up to no end. You would be better off chewing some hops and drinking water, it would be about the same as drinking the new brews. I just can't stomach the IPA's that are marketed as beer.

Amber Ale's are my preferred choice when it comes to beer. Most all domestic beer is like sex in a canoe... close to water.

I like to drink a Shiner Bock every now and then. My darker beer quest has been interrupted by the changes in the recipes to New Castle, Guinness, and many others. I still enjoy my stouts when available.

I used to think that craft beers would save the industry and bring in more beer drinkers with more choices. But we are down to domestic light beer, IPA's, and fruit beers. Sad days ahead gents.

I see the guys that have little clue of the current state of craft beer continue to ring in telling about craft beer.

Originally Posted by hatt
I see the guys that have little clue of the current state of craft beer continue to ring in telling about craft beer.

Doing Ding Ding and I thought I was the only one thinking same thing . Absolutely!

Originally Posted by dave123

Doing Ding Ding and I thought I was the only one thinking same thing . Absolutely!

It's comical. It's currently a beer drinker utopia with the variety and quality of beers but you have people complaining that obviously haven't a clue.

Originally Posted by dave123

It's comical. It's currently a beer drinker utopia with the variety and quality of beers but you have people complaining that obviously haven't a clue.

Yes it is my local craft scene is unreal I get so much posted to me daily of releases you can hardly keep up from everything under the sun. In fact will be picking up 3 new releases on Friday. I laugh at the saturation but it just grows and grows the good ones make it none of them will not sell anything from the big 3 and most only sell craft that are Brewed in the State in my case Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back