2019 RAM Hemi 4x4 is the dumbest oil change I've encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two GM L83's I own appear thoughtful … the plug and filter are further back past all the under pans/shields.
Everything drains into the drain pan, no collusion or obstruction …
In fact there is a small steel sump attached to the aluminum oil pan so that threads are steel on steel.

Perhaps Clinebarger could advise if removing those have a utilitarian purpose ?

Worst I owned was my 2002 Cavalier. 4-speed automatic pan 'closes off' the bottom, so the filter has to come out through the wheel well, was a heck of a job to get it out.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
The oil filter is way up there and when removed, oil dumps all over a wiring harness and some steering components making a giant mess. The oil drain plug is right by the front sway bar and oil dumps all over that when draining. Simply unreal. My driveway is a mess now. I won't be doing this again. Ridiculous. Shame on the engineers.

This does sound like quite the treat.
Dumb design for sure.
I've owned many vehicles over the past forty years or so and I've had the good fortune never to have had one that made for really difficult and messy oil changes.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My '07 Silverado 4x4 4.3 MT W/T had similar issues with poor placement of filter. Had to make up a drip tray out of disposable turkey pan. I did appreciate the molded in rubber gasket in the drain plug and cast aluminum oil pan.

My 2011 silverado 4.3 is the same, that one area under the filter is a different color from the oil changes, I figured that out after doing it myself for the first time. Plus the dealer had the drain bolt on ridiculously tight, I literally almost gave up you start to question if your turning the correct way.

+1 for the ziploc bag trick. Use a gallon-size ziploc freezer bag. This is the procedure I follow:

--Loosen the filter where you can turn it by hand (but not enough to let oil leak between the filter seal and housing).
--Put the ziplog bag completely up over the filter and as far around the housing as possible, so that you can grab the filter from the BOTTOM of the bag.
--Slowly unscrew the filter (through the bag) until the oil starts draining out of the housing into the bag; let it drain until it stops (30 seconds or so).
--Continue unscrewing the filter (through the bag) until the filter falls into the bag (be ready for this).
--Hold the bag (with the filter in it) around the housing for a few more seconds until most of the oil stops dripping.
--Slowly pull the bag / filter down from the housing and dump the bag / filter into the oil drain pan.

NOTE: Leave the oil sump plug out as you remove the filter because several more ounces of oil will flow out after the filter is removed.

It's not that fun, but neither are most things in life. I use a bag over the filter, and drape a PIG Form-a-Funnel (used to be a sponsor on here -- very useful item) over the steering rack. I had minimal mess.

At least we do not have to first remove 10 torx screws and an under-belly shield. I'd much prefer changing the oil on my truck vs. the last few cars I've had.

Last edited:
Buy a Ford 2.7 ecoboost. The easiest oil change I have ever done in my life. Cartridge filter up front and on the top. No tool required to pull the oil pan plug.

If the filter is indeed vertical like the picture in the link shows, the solo cup method I've done on some cars might work. If a solo cup won't fit over the filter, it should still give you a general idea. Something like a cup that you can put over the filter, and squeeze it to twist the fitler off, and the cup catches the oil. I've heard of the breadbag method and ziploc bag method, but I'd prefer to use something rigid if possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolled...joying_the_filter_location_on_a/?depth=2

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
My Acadia dumps oil all over the front motor mount. So sure enough at 45,000 miles the motor Mount failed. It is as if auto engineers have never worked on an actual vehicle.

More like, it's as if they DID...

I have a 2017. What a P I T A. I installed a Permanent- Cool oil filter relocation kit on it. The filter is not mounted on the frame up front still protected from road debris.

Originally Posted by LAGA
I have a 2017. What a P I T A. I installed a Permanent- Cool oil filter relocation kit on it. The filter is not mounted on the frame up front still protected from road debris.

If I was keeping this I would do that ^^^ too

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
On a 6.7 Cummins, you have to go through the wheel well. Once you drop the filter, you have to use one hand to balance the filter and plug the hole with a special tool at the same time. As times goes on, I care less and less how much oil I get on me, the truck, the ground, and everywhere else.

Don't plug the filter. You'll make less mess just getting it out of there.

These days, I stick a small funnel with a hose attached under it and punch a hole into the bottom of it.

Many boat installations make it impossible to access the actual drain plug, or if you can the oil would flow into the bilge, which isn't good. So often the best way is to suck oil out the dipstick with some device, or some engines feature an oil removal pump--like my Perkins 4.236. On one boat I was helping out on we couldn't figure out how to change the oil filter on the generator engine. After much discussion, experimentation, and foul language we decided that the only conceivable way to remove it was to first remove the engine from its mounts. The old Crown Vic or Grand Marquis filter wasn't the worst, but it was still a pain getting at it when using ramps in the driveway. You had to have the front wheels at a slight angle in order to remove the filter, and I could never remember what angle until I was up on the ramps and crawled under to take a look. This necessitated climbing back in and racking the steering and ramps one way or the other a little bit until you could get everything at just the right angle to reach up under there and be able to remove it. I think that's one reason Motorcraft shrank the FL820S filters after awhile.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Delta
I'm spoiled by the top access filter on my GTI and now new to me Tacoma. More vehicles should be that easy!

My BMWs and Mini have topside mounted cartridge filters- it makes oil changes dead easy.

My BMW E90 is hands down the easiest oil change I've ever done. Literally no mess. I've been very surprised at some of the ridiculous oil changes I've done recently on a few newer cars.

That sound as fun as the ridiculous design on the 15'-current HD Ram's with the Cummins. You get a tiny window that is barely large enough fro the filter to go in/out. Need a zip lock bar or oil cap tool so you don't make a mess. It's also [censored] near impossible to get a wrench in there also.

My Acadia dumps oil all over the front motor mount. So sure enough at 45,000 miles the motor Mount failed. It is as if auto engineers have never worked on an actual vehicle.

Its not their job. They are supposed to design it so it fits somewhere, does its intended purpose and is cheap to assemble at the plant. Making it easy for folks to work on the part after it leaves the factory is not part of the equation.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

Its not their job. They are supposed to design it so it fits somewhere, does its intended purpose and is cheap to assemble at the plant. Making it easy for folks to work on the part after it leaves the factory is not part of the equation.

Exactly.

I suspect you are absolutely correct . Lack of communication between engineers / departments . And the fact the biggest concern id the time / cost to assemble the car .

Once the car is sold , it is not " their " problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back