Land pride finish mower gearbox oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run 80W90 in my workplace ag. equipment (brush hogs, flail mower,etc.) that specify 90w. No problems at all. 50 hour OCI seems very excessive.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
The book states SAE90, anyone running an off the shelf 75w90 or 80w90 and changing every 50 hours with good results.

You should be fine either way. The SAE 90 and 80w90 being the more shear stable of the 3. I recently bought a new FDR1672 and the manual says 80w90. 50 hours seems a bit excessive, but I can't remember what the book said either.

Sucked what I could, refilled with Walmart Supertech 85W140. Went a little thicker because it was bought used and it's atleast 20 years old. Not sure how it was maintained previously so l'll check/change again in 25 hours or sooner.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I add a bit of 00 grease to my pasture mower gearbox vs. just straight gear oil

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30884/replace-oil-grease

Making your own corn head grease
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Sucked what I could, refilled with Walmart Supertech 85W140. Went a little thicker because it was bought used and it's atleast 20 years old. Not sure how it was maintained previously so l'll check/change again in 25 hours or sooner.

I was taught that in this type of gear box, a heavier oil would actually cause it to run hotter and less efficient. Is this bad, I don't know. Painting with a very broad paint brush, this is what I was told (by someone?) : " Low viscosity is favorable for: high speed, low loaded gears with a good tooth surface finish. Low viscosity provides thin oil film, low friction (high mechanical efficiency), good cooling (heat removal) conditions. High viscosity is favorable for: low speed, highly loaded gears with a rough tooth surface. High viscosity provides thick oil film, high wear resistance and low galling even at high pressure (EP)." https://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=gear_oils

Most (not all) tractors run 540 rpm PTO and mower gearbox ratios are all over the place, from 1:1 up to 1:1.9.

I would like to know how this applies and/or affects the ag. equipment gear boxes like in the mowers we are discussing. Molakule? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back