Cooling System Cleaner Safe For Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a problem with transmission fluid leaking into my coolant from a faulty radiator. I need to dilute the transmission fluid that remains in the cooling system and flush the system. Anyone know of a good product to use to achieve this? I am worried about my heater core, so want to make sure whatever I use is safe for aluminum.

You need to tell us what is the car. Not all are done the same way. One of my cars has a reverse flow system for example.

Cast iron or aluminum block, etc.

Last edited:
Citric acid. Mercedes specifies a procedure with citric acid and you know there cars are full of aluminum components

An important item is to realize a lot of coolant stays in the block when you drain the rad. I would drain the rad, fill with distilled water, run, drain and do the fill and drains three times. Keep the heat on and drive it until it heats up enough to open the thermostat each time. It's tedious but is the best way to make sure you completely change the coolant. When you fill the rad use 100% coolant to compensate for the distilled water still in the block. Then after driving for a week, check your coolant bottle to see your concentration with a tester and adjust by pulling mixed coolant out of the bottle and adding either pure coolant or pure distilled water to adjust it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fitz98
I had a problem with transmission fluid leaking into my coolant from a faulty radiator. I need to dilute the transmission fluid that remains in the cooling system and flush the system. Anyone know of a good product to use to achieve this? I am worried about my heater core, so want to make sure whatever I use is safe for aluminum.

Read thru the post I made about suggesting 2 coolant flushes to a friend. There are a few self proclaimed experienced coolant experts in this post that might help you.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...sh-vs-prestone-flush-cleaner#Post5112523

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back