Tacoma owner with 300k+ miles describes his journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped reading when he said a torque wrench is the most important tool to own.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I stopped reading when he said a torque wrench is the most important tool to own.

I would agree that a torque wrench is important. I use a torque as much as I possibly can. I have never screwed anything up tightening to spec.

It removes all doubt that you tightenedmsomthingnenough, but not too tight. It's a,good tool to have and gives,less to worry about, tool
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

I would agree that a torque wrench is important. I use a torque as much as I possibly can. I have never screwed anything up tightening to spec.

I had more problems on my '06 Ford Ranger which has about 70K miles.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Broo
laugh.gif

And there is someone out there with almost no problems with their 06 Ranger.

Originally Posted by Broo
laugh.gif

Maybe you needed a torque wrench?

300k is a lot of miles, but 6 years is nothing. Anything should hold up with that maintenance regimen and nearly all highway miles.

I'm waiting in a drive thru in my 25 year old 201K mile Ranger. Less miles, but a whole lot of years, mud, and sporadic maintenance.

Originally Posted by madRiver
A large factor in that higher mileage is in 6yrs and driving 50k per year. That is a lot of miles in that bumpy truck.

I agree.

I think it is easier to put high miles reliably on a still new-ish vehicle, than the same high mileage on an aging vehicle.

A large factor in that higher mileage is in 6yrs and driving 50k per year. That is a lot of miles in that bumpy truck.

That and proper maintainence is why and it is no big deal.

I would say the ratchet handle in a socket is the single most important tool in ones toolbox.

Originally Posted by Hounds
The most impressive thing is the owner could tolerate riding 300k miles in a Taco.

I honestly don't understand this. I've owned my 2009 for about 2 weeks now and it isn't near as bumpy as other vehicles on the road. I'll even venture to say it rides better than my GTI...

Originally Posted by CT8

That and proper maintainence is why and it is no big deal.

My father managed 274k out of a 88 Buick century iron duke company(pea green) car over 5 years. He changed the oil every 6 months and did nothing else.He ran it out of oil. I believe they replaced engine and someone else keep going with it.

That entire time before that only the shift cable broke that made it shift based on throttle/load.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Kind of surprised it calls for 30,000 mile plug changes. Thought every car on the road nowadays was 100,000

There is zero reason for the single VVT-i 1GR-FE in the Tacoma to run conventional spark plugs when the Dual VVT-i 1GR-FE engine in the Tundra has Iridium spark plugs from the factory.

Not only did Toyota cheap out on the plugs.....They didn't update the engine to Dual VVT-i along with everything else that has/had a 1GR-FE.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Kind of surprised it calls for 30,000 mile plug changes. Thought every car on the road nowadays was 100,000

It's a fairly easy plug change, FWIW. There is an option to run Iridium Denso plugs if desired.

This thread will drive a certain member crazy.

I'm most impressed by his driving from Chiloquin Oregon (north of Klamath Falls) down to the Bay Area and back in one fell swoop. That is one heck of a drive and he did it 25 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back