Engine Stop/Start Seems a Ludicrous Concept to Me Now that I've Driven It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Leo99
These systems are common outside the USA or at least in Europe and China. Don't see any uptick in accidents due to them. Why would there be?

Not going to ask you to provide a link about accidents in Europe or China but will ask if you've seen data supporting no uptick or just not seeing stateside reporting of no uptick?

I haven't seen any reports of an uptick of accidents attributed to start/stop technology. That was the original statement, that these system will cause an increase in accidents. Where's the data to show this is true?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by demarpaint
The few cars I drove with it I hated.

Same here. I have yet to find an implementation of it that's unobtrusive.

In wife's Q5, we keep it permanently disabled. My Charger doesn't have it, thankfully.

It's good that you can keep it permanently disabled on the Q5, and even better the Charger doesn't have it. I'm beginning to except the fact that if/when I own something with it that I might have to turn it off every time I enter the car, I'll live with that. If I'm interested in a car that has a system like GM does where I can't turn it off, and I have to pony up a few more dollars for a dongle to turn it off, I'll do that too. If there is no such device in the aftermarket, then that car maker with the system that can't be disabled loses my business, not that they care. Funny thing is a lot of my friends feel exactly the same. The few friends I have with the system are able to turn it off, and do so each and every time they drive their car.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
but the part where it stops the engine in D as you go to park the car then restarts it at the instant you engage Park (P), that's kind of stupid I think.

Umm, maybe turn off the engine BEFORE putting it into park?

The issue is the engine shuts off too quickly. If I am backing in to park it makes no sense for the engine to shut off before I can put it into reverse.

That's almost as stupid as cars that don't let you back up with a door open.

Originally Posted by Rand
but the part where it stops the engine in D as you go to park the car then restarts it at the instant you engage Park (P), that's kind of stupid I think.

Umm, maybe turn off the engine BEFORE putting it into park?

Can't shut off engine unless its in park.

First I've heard that. Must be a very late model?

I love how the sales peeps at dealerships never bring this amazing feature up unless prodded about it. They usually dive right in about the touchscreen though.

Originally Posted by Rand

Can't shut off engine unless its in park.

First I've heard that. Must be a very late model?

MIL had a 2013 hybrid Buick with this idiotic feature.

There's likely another way of turning it off, like holding the power button down for 3 seconds or something.

The EPA test loop doesn't involve putting it in Park, so it's not in the programming.

I have to imagine that this dopey programming would make itself obvious on the test drive, and sell fewer Buicks.
21.gif

Originally Posted by fdcg27
IMHO, start/stop belongs in hybrids where it works unobtrusively and naturally, since in heavy traffic you'll spend a lot of time in EV mode moving or not and the battery pack can run the AC for a very long time with no engine start at all.
On my last oil change, this proved an impediment in that I had a hard time getting the engine to run at all after the change and actually had to drive the car a bit to get this to happen so that I could check for leaks. ...
My hybrid provides a method to make the engine run on such occasions. Your Honda probably does, too.

The part that gives me the creeps is when I'm driving hard down the Highway in the middle of summer, exit then quickly come to a stop at the end of the exit ramp. Oil is hot the turbo is spinning like a top on steroids and the oil pressure just dropped to 0 PSI. That can't be good.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
The part that gives me the creeps is when I'm driving hard down the Highway in the middle of summer, exit then quickly come to a stop at the end of the exit ramp. Oil is hot the turbo is spinning like a top on steroids and the oil pressure just dropped to 0 PSI. That can't be good.

Most engines are not running that fast at highway speeds. So when you say driving hard how fast are you going and what are the rpms of the engine?

If your engine has zero oil pressure at a stop you have bigger problems.

Here's one rather arcane side effect of the engine stop/start thing: When you are parking the car, as you pull up and stop with normal pressure on the brake pedal, it will shut the motor off while still in D (transmission selector), *then* when you shift it into P (park) it will start the engine. So you pull into your garage, brake to stop and off goes the engine, but when you want to place it into park it starts the engine back up, only to have you shut it down again. Seems rather dumb to me.

There's no need to shift the vehicle into P (park) once the engine shuts off. Just press the Start/Stop button, and the transmission will automatically do this for you eliminating the extra step. I've only needed to press the park button about six times during nearly a year of ownership for those occasions where I need to sit with the engine running while my wife runs a quick errand.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
These systems are common outside the USA or at least in Europe and China. Don't see any uptick in accidents due to them. Why would there be?

Not going to ask you to provide a link about accidents in Europe or China but will ask if you've seen data supporting no uptick or just not seeing stateside reporting of no uptick?

I haven't seen any reports of an uptick of accidents attributed to start/stop technology. That was the original statement, that these system will cause an increase in accidents. Where's the data to show this is true?

Your reply was : "These systems are common outside the USA or at least in Europe and China. Don't see any uptick in accidents due to them."
Thought maybe you saw something that specifically said start/stop has not caused more accidents in Europe or China. Not seeing a report doesn't exactly mean there wasn't one unless maybe automotive safety is your specialty. Not arguing with you.

never buy a vehicle with stop-start unless it can be easily disabled, never buy a vehicle with a CVT period. as time goes buy like prescription drugs bad side effects will happen as you are the beta tester!

Most of the rentals I have had in Europe for the last 10 years have had start/stop. Both my MB cars have it and after a year of owning them, the fuel savings are real, there have been no issues, and like most other things after a while you forget about it and let it do its job which is to save gas in stop and go traffic.

Stop start systems? Pass me by. Call me old school if you want but I don't like the engine stopping unless I shut it down. My new F150 has it and I disable it every time I fire it off. When this finally progresses to where the stop start can't be disabled then I'll move up to a 3/4 truck! Or electric vehicle if they get range and charge speed up.
One thing I've noticed on my ‘18 model compared to my ‘11 is the battery is larger and it's a glass mat jobbie.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I like it. I see no reason for idling at a long light or the drive through.

+1, but do it right with some marginal hybrid system then...

Hybrids really are where it's at.

While start-stop in a non hybrid is a little clunky, its seamless in a hybrid, and makes all the sense in the world.

Originally Posted by benjy
never buy a vehicle with stop-start unless it can be easily disabled, never buy a vehicle with a CVT period. as time goes buy like prescription drugs bad side effects will happen as you are the beta tester!

We think alike.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I like it. I see no reason for idling at a long light or the drive through.

+1, but do it right with some marginal hybrid system then...

Hybrids really are where it's at.

While start-stop in a non hybrid is a little clunky, its seamless in a hybrid, and makes all the sense in the world.

Hybrid even mild simply adds more cost. Start/stop is some programming and potentially beefier starter.

Stop start isn't such a new concept, my MG had it from the factory, better known as vapor lock back then. It was good a stopping on its own in traffic on a hot day before I installed an electric fuel pump. It was the restarting part they hadn't quite perfected yet
lol.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by BobsArmory

Most engines are not running that fast at highway speeds. So when you say driving hard how fast are you going and what are the rpms of the engine?
If your engine has zero oil pressure at a stop you have bigger problems.

Michigan fast: Posted speed is 70-75mph. The slow lane is at least +10 (If you are an owner operator semi), usually driving 20 over. Unless there is construction slowdown...

Originally Posted by pandus13
Michigan fast: Posted speed is 70-75mph. The slow lane is at least +10 (If you are an owner operator semi), usually driving 20 over. Unless there is construction slowdown...

That's odd. My experience in Indiana with Michigan-plated vehicles, they all drive in the left lane only, with the cruise set on 70 regardless of the posted limit and regardless of how fast traffic is moving, like they own that B. I've seen at least 10-car trains behind Michigan plates with people passing on the right because they won't move over out of the left lane!
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back