2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do what you wish but as has been mentioned the grade is irrelevant. That's just a recommendation, the approval is all that matters. There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.

Grades are recommended, specifications and approvals are specified.

Originally Posted by kschachn
There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.

That's actually a really good point. Never thought of it like that. So really, choosing between a 5w40 and 0w40 really just depends on your location.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.
That's actually a really good point. Never thought of it like that. So really, choosing between a 5w40 and 0w40 really just depends on your location.

And approvals.

You can do what you wish but as has been mentioned the grade is irrelevant. That's just a recommendation, the approval is all that matters. There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.

Grades are recommended, specifications and approvals are specified.

In that case which way would folks go in this case? Mostly city driving with some highway in Boston area. 5w40 or 0w40?

I guess 5w40 is the way to go if manual calls for it but curious if an argument for 0w40.

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
I guess 5w40 is the way to go if manual calls for it but curious if an argument for 0w40.

In regards to the winter rating in particular, it won't make any difference unless your expected starting temperatures are below -25F.

I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :p

VW has approved list of oils.
All oils approved for 502.00 are on that list, including Castrol 0W30, 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS.
By the way, there is dedicated oil sub-forum for European vehicles. This topic has been debated like 1,000000000 times.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :p

VW has approved list of oils.
All oils approved for 502.00 are on that list, including Castrol 0W30, 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS.
By the way, there is dedicated oil sub-forum for European vehicles. This topic has been debated like 1,000000000 times.

Thanks for the tip. FWIW first European car so not exactly something I am used to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back