Recent Topics
Oil temperature data
by Snagglefoot - 08/25/19 01:30 AM
Broke down and bought a Econobox.
by Blkstanger - 08/24/19 11:41 PM
STP Filters
by HobbledMechanic - 08/24/19 11:02 PM
Alternative oil filters
by GeoffPD - 08/24/19 10:16 PM
PartSource Canada Delvac deal
by Bluestream - 08/24/19 09:57 PM
Chamberlain tractor pto clutch oil
by Jabbo - 08/24/19 09:37 PM
how to get out o2 sensor
by dogememe - 08/24/19 09:18 PM
Should I use a wash and wax for maintenance washes?
by littlehulkster - 08/24/19 08:53 PM
Michelin Rebate
by twouvakind - 08/24/19 08:47 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish.
by irv - 08/24/19 08:27 PM
Fram PH/TG/XG3593a cut open
by SlavaB - 08/24/19 08:12 PM
Supertech vs OEM
by Bettez88 - 08/24/19 08:05 PM
Exxon Mobile Synergy Supreme Friction Modifier
by IndyFan - 08/24/19 07:50 PM
Toyota oil cap funnel
by Patrick0525 - 08/24/19 07:07 PM
STUMPED (2002 BMW X5)
by Kira - 08/24/19 05:43 PM
Turtle Wax Zip wash/wax...garbage!
by gregk24 - 08/24/19 05:41 PM
Does Super Lube Oil make Good Electric Motor Oil
by vortex - 08/24/19 04:40 PM
26 degree temp swing in 24 hours
by gman2304 - 08/24/19 04:12 PM
Newest Members
EricTwoCamaros, Subie5w30, Iautox, Mayadi, YachtRocket
69055 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Kibitoshin, Bailes1992, Blkstanger, ethnix, 4WD, GMguy84, 1 invisible), 825 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics293,758
Posts5,046,204
Members69,055
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: NewEnglander] #5097749 05/06/19 07:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
B
BurntMusic Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
So lo and behold inside the glove box was a flyer for....Castrol Edge Professional Full Synthetic.

Is that what VW Dealers are using, and for the factory fill as well?


Castrol Edge Professional and Castrol Edge are the exact same thing, with the exception that Edge Professional has UV dye in it to make it easier to spot leaks.

If you don't care about the dye (new car shouldn't have any leaks), then Walmart Castrol Edge will do fine. Make sure to get 5w40 though. It's what the manual calls for.

Last edited by BurntMusic; 05/06/19 07:13 PM.
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: BurntMusic] #5097824 05/06/19 08:32 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,288
J
JOD Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,288
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
So lo and behold inside the glove box was a flyer for....Castrol Edge Professional Full Synthetic.

Is that what VW Dealers are using, and for the factory fill as well?


Castrol Edge Professional and Castrol Edge are the exact same thing, with the exception that Edge Professional has UV dye in it to make it easier to spot leaks.

If you don't care about the dye (new car shouldn't have any leaks), then Walmart Castrol Edge will do fine. Make sure to get 5w40 though. It's what the manual calls for.


The manual doesn't call for 5W40, it calls for either a 502 or 504-rated oil. The OE oil that comes as factory fill is a 504 5W30.

Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: JOD] #5097850 05/06/19 08:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
B
BurntMusic Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
I have the owners manual in front of me and it says a 5w30 or 5w40 AND has the 502.00 approval.

Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: BurntMusic] #5097856 05/06/19 09:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,179
D
donnyj08 Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,179
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I have the owners manual in front of me and it says a 5w30 or 5w40 AND has the 502.00 approval.



You can use the 0w40 that is 502.00 approved in vehicles calling for 5w40. The 502.00 or 504.00 is what is important.


2008 Silverado Z71 LT 98k Maxlife FS 5w30
2010 Ford Escape 196k QSUD 5w20
2016 Yamaha XSR900 13k, Spectro 10w40, Yamaha Filter.
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: donnyj08] #5097861 05/06/19 09:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
B
BurntMusic Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :P

Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: BurntMusic] #5097864 05/06/19 09:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
You can do what you wish but as has been mentioned the grade is irrelevant. That’s just a recommendation, the approval is all that matters. There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.

Grades are recommended, specifications and approvals are specified.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: kschachn] #5097890 05/06/19 09:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
B
BurntMusic Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by kschachn
There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.


That's actually a really good point. Never thought of it like that. So really, choosing between a 5w40 and 0w40 really just depends on your location.

Last edited by BurntMusic; 05/06/19 09:54 PM.
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: BurntMusic] #5098152 05/07/19 08:14 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
Originally Posted by kschachn
There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.
That's actually a really good point. Never thought of it like that. So really, choosing between a 5w40 and 0w40 really just depends on your location.

And approvals.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: kschachn] #5099509 05/08/19 01:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
N
NewEnglander Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by kschachn
You can do what you wish but as has been mentioned the grade is irrelevant. That’s just a recommendation, the approval is all that matters. There is no practical way anyone could determine that you used a 0W-40 rather than a 5W-40, both are a 40 grade.

Grades are recommended, specifications and approvals are specified.

In that case which way would folks go in this case? Mostly city driving with some highway in Boston area. 5w40 or 0w40?

I guess 5w40 is the way to go if manual calls for it but curious if an argument for 0w40.


17 VW Jetta 1.8T SEL Premium | Castrol Edge 5w40 | Nokian eNTYRE 2.0
13 KIA Rio EX 1.6 GDi | Pennzoil UP 5w20 | Nokian WRG3
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: NewEnglander] #5099523 05/08/19 01:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
I guess 5w40 is the way to go if manual calls for it but curious if an argument for 0w40.

In regards to the winter rating in particular, it won't make any difference unless your expected starting temperatures are below -25F.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: BurntMusic] #5100082 05/08/19 10:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,689
E
edyvw Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,689
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :P

VW has approved list of oils.
All oils approved for 502.00 are on that list, including Castrol 0W30, 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS.
By the way, there is dedicated oil sub-forum for European vehicles. This topic has been debated like 1,000000000 times.


15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OEM filter).
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W40+MANN filter)
Re: 2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T) [Re: edyvw] #5100476 05/09/19 11:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
N
NewEnglander Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :P

VW has approved list of oils.
All oils approved for 502.00 are on that list, including Castrol 0W30, 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS.
By the way, there is dedicated oil sub-forum for European vehicles. This topic has been debated like 1,000000000 times.

Thanks for the tip. FWIW first European car so not exactly something I am used to!


17 VW Jetta 1.8T SEL Premium | Castrol Edge 5w40 | Nokian eNTYRE 2.0
13 KIA Rio EX 1.6 GDi | Pennzoil UP 5w20 | Nokian WRG3
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™