2017 VW Jetta SEL Premium Oil (1.8T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to do the oil in the near future. Not quite sure what's in there now though it was done recently.

What does BITOG recommend? Have been Pennzoil/Shell recently and Castrol in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Going to do the oil in the near future. Not quite sure what's in there now though it was done recently.

What does BITOG recommend? Have been Pennzoil/Shell recently and Castrol in the past.

How is the Jetta going to be driven? Mostly city short tripping or mostly highway?

Originally Posted by dbias

How is the Jetta going to be driven? Mostly city short tripping or mostly highway?

Great question. Mostly city slickin short trippin but sometimes highway.

Great question. Mostly city slickin short trippin but sometimes highway.

It doesn't really matter. Use dictates interval, not the oil required.

Personally when my wife had a 100 mile round trip to work mostly highway I went 10k oci with Ravenol. Now that she has an 8 mile round trip to work I do 5k with Mobil1 or Castrol edge. But that's just me.

Personally when my wife had a 100 mile round trip to work mostly highway I went 10k oci with Ravenol. Now that she has an 8 mile round trip to work I do 5k with Mobil1 or Castrol edge. But that's just me.

Right, so reinforcement of exactly what I said. Use dictates interval, not the oil required.

Unless you're implying that Ravenol is somehow better than Mobil 1 or Castrol.

So lo and behold inside the glove box was a flyer for....Castrol Edge Professional Full Synthetic.

Is that what VW Dealers are using, and for the factory fill as well?

Last edited:

Not sure about BITOG, but I had been using since new Mobil 1 0W-40 FS in my 2016 Passat (with same engine as your Jetta) until recently when I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30. This oil is a lower SAPS oil and may produce fewer intake valve deposits on this turbo direct injection engine. Additionally, I understand this Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30 is same oil as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w-30.

So lo and behold inside the glove box was a flyer for....Castrol Edge Professional Full Synthetic.

Yes

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Right, so reinforcement of exactly what I said. Use dictates interval, not the oil required.

Yes Ravenol is a better oil than Mobil1 or Castrol hence why i used it for 10k oci for the easier highway miles.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Yes Ravenol is a better oil than Mobil1 or Castrol hence why i used it for 10k oci for the easier highway miles.

In what quantifiable way is it better?

Castrol Edge Professional and Castrol Edge are the exact same thing, with the exception that Edge Professional has UV dye in it to make it easier to spot leaks.

If you don't care about the dye (new car shouldn't have any leaks), then Walmart Castrol Edge will do fine. Make sure to get 5w40 though. It's what the manual calls for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic

Castrol Edge Professional and Castrol Edge are the exact same thing, with the exception that Edge Professional has UV dye in it to make it easier to spot leaks.

If you don't care about the dye (new car shouldn't have any leaks), then Walmart Castrol Edge will do fine. Make sure to get 5w40 though. It's what the manual calls for.

The manual doesn't call for 5W40, it calls for either a 502 or 504-rated oil. The OE oil that comes as factory fill is a 504 5W30.

Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I have the owners manual in front of me and it says a 5w30 or 5w40 AND has the 502.00 approval.

You can use the 0w40 that is 502.00 approved in vehicles calling for 5w40. The 502.00 or 504.00 is what is important.

I suppose so. Just thinking about the warranty though, I would stick to explicitly what the manual says. Last thing I wanna do is have to try to explain why I used 0w40 instead of 5w40 (or 5w30) to the guy behind the counter if something should ever happen to my engine. Just want to be safe! And not to mention they'll find any little issue to squeeze their way out of warranty work. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back