Engine Stop/Start Seems a Ludicrous Concept to Me Now that I've Driven It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have stop start on my 2016 F150 (2.7 Ecoboost). You start to realize how much time you spend waiting at stoplights when you get a system like this...

All in all, the system in my truck works fine. Modulating the brake pressure to have the system work or not is extremely easy.

The condition described where the system turns the engine off, you shift into park, and it restarts again is a system design issue by GM. On my Ford, the engine stays off without the extra restart.

There are so many but what about, how come, etc.. that people like to put out there on a system like this. Even when the manufacturer addresses them, the refrain is still but what about some other condition...

Originally Posted by DBMaster
If you have the A/C running on a 100 degree day does the engine stay on while sitting at a red light so you don't roast?

Yes-at least the fan does.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Seems pretty clear to me, this whole stop/start thing was a scheme cooked up by the people who make starters in an effort to solidify their stranglehold on the starter market. They don't like taking baths in golden bathtubs without at least TWO ivory back-scratchers, and before all this, they could barely afford to hire someone to go buy them just ONE for their daily baths!

The More You Know...

Here is another BITOG-Internet myth. The start/stop systems are not your conventional starter set up. Do a google search for education.

Have drove both a two year old F150 with stop/start-and a new Jeep Laredo with stop/start. The F150 wasn't nearly as smooth as a transition as the Jeep.
Both cars belong to my son. He likes it-in the F150, says he sees a fuel savings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I'm mostly indifferent to stop/start if only because there are better and worse implementations of it independent of the effect on the battery. alternator, etc. On BITOG, stop/start will always only save .001 gallon even if it isn't doesn't...so I just accept it comes with the territory and look it up myself..

Again-not your conventional systems-do a google search.

And Mobil 1 oil is different at Walmart.....................

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
You're off by a factor of about 80x in heavy traffic.

EPA ratings are now done in traffic? Huh, I musta missed that update to the CAFE requirements.
confused2.gif

I have only driven 1 vehicle for any amount of time with it (a rental Ford Focus or Taurus), and did not find it annoying.
A/C kept blowing cold at stop lights with engine off, drove immediately when going from stopped to moving, no weird stop/restart when parking etc.

I am sure some have implemented it better than others, but my limited experience was not an issue.

I do agree it is annoying that you can't turn some of them off.

The few cars I drove with it I hated. When the time comes that I have to buy a vehicle equipped with it I will make sure it can be disabled, either by a mfg installed button, or some aftermarket dongle. If there is nothing to disable it I'll probably pass and look for something else.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The few cars I drove with it I hated.

Same here. I have yet to find an implementation of it that's unobtrusive.

In wife's Q5, we keep it permanently disabled. My Charger doesn't have it, thankfully.

IMHO, start/stop belongs in hybrids where it works unobtrusively and naturally, since in heavy traffic you'll spend a lot of time in EV mode moving or not and the battery pack can run the AC for a very long time with no engine start at all.
On my last oil change, this proved an impediment in that I had a hard time getting the engine to run at all after the change and actually had to drive the car a bit to get this to happen so that I could check for leaks.
On ordinary gassers which cannot move without a running engine, this really seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I'm mostly indifferent to stop/start if only because there are better and worse implementations of it independent of the effect on the battery. alternator, etc. On BITOG, stop/start will always only save .001 gallon even if it isn't doesn't...so I just accept it comes with the territory and look it up myself..

Again-not your conventional systems-do a google search.

And Mobil 1 oil is different at Walmart.....................

Many systems do use a conventional starter, alternator, etc.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Enjoy burning out the starter earlier.

The systems have been in place for some time now - where are the rampant starter failures???

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
but the part where it stops the engine in D as you go to park the car then restarts it at the instant you engage Park (P), that's kind of stupid I think.

Umm, maybe turn off the engine BEFORE putting it into park?

Originally Posted by DBMaster
If you have the A/C running on a 100 degree day does the engine stay on while sitting at a red light so you don't roast?

Not if it has an electric A/C compressor.

Originally Posted by Leo99
These systems are common outside the USA or at least in Europe and China. Don't see any uptick in accidents due to them. Why would there be?

Not going to ask you to provide a link about accidents in Europe or China but will ask if you've seen data supporting no uptick or just not seeing stateside reporting of no uptick?

Originally Posted by atikovi
but the part where it stops the engine in D as you go to park the car then restarts it at the instant you engage Park (P), that's kind of stupid I think.

The issue is the engine shuts off too quickly. If I am backing in to park it makes no sense for the engine to shut off before I can put it into reverse.

I dealt with this on a 2017 Fiat Pacifica we had rented. Then I discovered the button to disable the system.

If the engine would shut off, say ten seconds after stopping then that makes sense.

As for wearing out starters and batteries, these systems are beyond that. That old tale keeps making the rounds here.

Its all about implementation.

ON a non-hybrid car its terrible - Ac stops - doenst work on 3-minute lights in the summer in LA.
sometimes all accessories stop - one rental I had the radio died every engine stop.

In a hybrid drivetrain like my 06 rx400H its seamless and all accessories function fully during the stop - even the AC.
You can creep forward on eth electrics if you need to or as say a turn line shortens.
Its "starter" is designed for a lifetime of this - its not a standard auto starter pressed into service that has to endure 10x cycling

UD

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Just goes to show that consumers were fed a line of bull back in the day when "starting your car causes the most wear".

Once again after 13 years and 20K posts show you have learned very little.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Can't shut off engine unless its in park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back