Sinclair Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to be huge through the entire Plains States and some Midwestern states.... all thru the 1970-1980's

Many had green dinosaurs as mascots - some were small, some were HUGE!

I very seldom see one anymore.
I think the last one I saw was right off I-94 in Jamestown, ND

They used to be around here and Joyzee in the '60s to early '70s, then they all disappeared (there are not even any Mobil stations around here anymore).

There is still ONE single station that I know of in this area (in Hopewell, N.J.), and have not seen another one in over 40 years.
frown.gif

Haven't seen one around here since the Stone Age. A real dinosaur as brands just keep getting new life, i.e. Malibu, Blazer, Impala, Bronco, Charger...

Originally Posted by skyactiv
They made the best looking fuel pumps before my time.

[Linked Image]

That is a great great gas pump there ^^^^^^^

Wonder if it is worth some good $$$$ ?? I bet yes.

They opened one last year in Port Jervis, NY (right where NY, NJ and PA meet). I hadn't seen one anywhere in the mid Atlantic/northeast in decades.

I hope Sinclair makes a return to the southern states
Hasn't been one around my area since the mid 60's

76 Stations are appearing again, so there's hope

Last edited:
Not really a fan.

Used it twice, in my Jeep 2.4 and also in my old 1996 GMC 5.7.

Both times they ran like crap until I re-filled the tanks with a different brand.

Gas was bought in Reno, NV and Williams, CA.

Personally...I will pass. But it may be great for others.

Originally Posted by BikeWhisperer

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
I have seen one while cruising Columbia River Gorge, I will have to stop by.

Yes, starting to see them East of Hood River...passed several off of I-84 on my way to Wyoming last July. They're all over Idaho, Utah, Wyoming as well, I just never managed to stop at one since I'm used to buying Chevron and 76/Unocal/66 stations.

Never used one until taking a trip through Utah several years ago. Didn't know they served anyone up this way until visiting the Gorge a couple of months ago, I saw one in the Bingen area. Big dinosaur and everything. Blew my mind! ...„

Originally Posted by Chris142
Supplied by shell here. Says top tier on the sign.

Interesting. A Sinclair just went up where I live in WA (only one in town) where what use to be a Shell station. I'll have to check them out...I usually buy 76 though.

Edit: I just checked the TopTier site and yes, Sinclair is listed... and obviously Shell is.

Last edited:
I read an article that stated that the big oil companies own a bunch of old brands. In order to keep the copyright on those logos, they need to have at least one station with the original name operating.

So they will go around and open one station and brand it with the old logo to keep the copyright going.

Makes sense, and the article had some interesting photos as well.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I read an article that stated that the big oil companies own a bunch of old brands. In order to keep the copyright on those logos, they need to have at least one station with the original name operating.

So they will go around and open one station and brand it with the old logo to keep the copyright going.

I think there are some more nuances, such as making sure the trademark is still used in states where it had been used before. For instance, after the breakup of Standard Oil, several companies still used the Standard brand including the ones that became Esso/Exxon, Chevron, etc. I pumped gas at a "Standard" station in San Francisco a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I think there are some more nuances, such as making sure the trademark is still used in states where it had been used before. For instance, after the breakup of Standard Oil, several companies still used the Standard brand including the ones that became Esso/Exxon, Chevron, etc. I pumped gas at a "Standard" station in San Francisco a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

Wow... look at that. I've never seen a Standard fueling station/sign. Tx for sharing the pic..ðŸ‘

Fwiw, the Sinclair station near me has the iconic Dino the dinosaur on top of it's pricing pole and of course on it's signage elsewhere. It's actually pretty cool looking... the white and green theme is eye catching. I've always been partial to ConocoPhillips 76 stations as my father retired from there and I've never had a problem with 76 gas. But I just might be giving Sinclair a try...

Last edited:
We have one in Council Bluffs but its ran down pretty and outdated. The last time I went I had to go inside to pay which was inconvenient. The Shell stations are getting to be more the same. BP is my choice, 2 new stations that are used by most so fresh fuel is frequent and usually chepest right off 29/80. Sapps is nice but im not sure they are "top" tier, I have used it some. Wish we had a Shoemakers here...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

[Linked Image]

Wow... look at that. I've never seen a Standard fueling station/sign. Tx for sharing the pic..ðŸ‘

Fwiw, the Sinclair station near me has the iconic Dino the dinosaur on top of it's pricing pole and of course on it's signage elsewhere. It's actually pretty cool looking... the white and green theme is eye catching. I've always been partial to ConocoPhillips 76 stations as my father retired from there and I've never had a problem with 76 gas. But I just might be giving Sinclair a try...

I'm old enough to remember plenty of them in my childhood. I believe the old Standard Oil companies were allowed to use that brand in their particular regions, but then had to come up with new names (Esso, Chevron, Amoco, Socony/Mobil) if they wanted to branch out beyond their defined regions. Back when I was a kid, there were a mix of Chevron and Standard stations in my area, but they surely started to rebrand as Chevron. But they make sure to keep at least a few around in every state where their trademark is registered.

Here's one of an Amoco station in North Dakota:

[Linked Image]

It's mostly Amoco branded, but they have the Standard sign. It's a 10 year old photo, and I'm not sure if it's still open. But even then it had dial reading pumps and only full service.

Here's one of an Amoco station in North Dakota:

[Linked Image]

It's mostly Amoco branded, but they have the Standard sign. It's a 10 year old photo, and I'm not sure if it's still open. But even then it had dial reading pumps and only full service.

Maybe I'm a dork but I think the old stations were super cool. As a kid growing up in CA we always went to Union 76 stations. In fact my first job as a teenager was at a Union. Came home reeking of gas all the time🤣. But we were required to ask every customer if they wanted their fluids checked and tires checked. I remember having to count out change on that metal change thingy you wore on your hip. I forget what they called it...oh the memories.

All the gas that has gone into my cars over the years has probably been 76 a good chunk of the time. I will go out of my way to find a 76 if need be. Chevron is my next choice.

Last edited:
^^^I also worked during high school at an actual ESSO station (in Union, N.J.), before they switched over to the EXXON moniker.

Yup, I remember the reeking of fuel thing as well.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back