Toyota Tacoma power steering fluid capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the fluid capacity in quarts of the current Tacoma V6 power steering system? I want to change out the factory fluid and I cannont find the capacity anywhere. I've tried the Toyota Dealer, Google, Chiltons Manual, Owners Manual....nothing! Anyone know? Thanks.

Yes that's usually tough info to find. But unless the Tacoma has a HUGE PS resevoir, you can be reasonably assured that it holds less than 1 quart. So buy 2 quarts, one to flush and one to refill.

So, the reservoir is 1/3 QT? But, there's much more to the PS like hoses and the entire rack. I've read on other forums it's taken up to 3 Qts to fully change all the PS fluid. I pulled this from another forum:

quote:

The power steering pump has two lines attached to it. The line that screws in is the discharge line (larger of the two) and the line that has a hose clamp (smaller of the two) is the return line. Raise the front wheels off the ground, disconnect the return line and catch the fluid that will run out. Put a cap/plug on the return line nipple on the box. Fit some clear hose over the return line hose you disconnected and route it something to catch the fluid. Top up the fluid, then inside the car turn the wheel right to left, this will force the fluid through the system and out the return line, keep your eye on the fluid level, topping up as you go. I use 3 quarts, and any fluid that meets or exceeds Type "F" would be OK, Synthetic AMSOIL certianly exceeds the specs.
****Don't start the engine, do the wheel turning with the engine not running, or you will be out of fluid faster than you can fill it and the entire rack will not get flushed.

Siphon the reservoir, refill, take a drive, siphon again, refill, take a drive, etc. Eventually the light brown stuff will be flowing very red. I just did my Tundra with Mobil 1 ATF.

I am doing my Tundra as well with Mobil 1
smile.gif
I have siphoned a couple of times. It seems to have quieted what little noise it made (just a slight howl, mostly when cold).

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
[QB] So, the reservoir is 1/3 QT? But, there's much more to the PS like hoses and the entire rack. I've read on other forums it's taken up to 3 Qts to fully change all the PS fluid. I pulled this from another forum:

He was just saying that he used 3 quarts to flush and refill the system. In reality you could flush through 5 gallons of fluid if you wanted to. But the capacity of the system is still quite small. The resevoir maybe holds 1/3 quart as stated and the lines/rack hold very, very little.

So to recap, buy X number of quarts to flush the system(it's up to you how many you want to use) and 1 extra to refill it afterwards.

If your curent fluid is old and extremely dirty, 3 quarts to flush may be a good idea. But if it's clean, 1 quart to flush should be enough.

Tones, yes, I read that thread. I'm just going to drain it on jacks with the engine off and use 2 Qts of fluid. I bought 3 Qts of Redline D4 ATF and I'll have one left for later. Thanks for all the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back