Microgreen 13k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used this filter for about 13k miles.10k with m1 0w40 and 3k with supertech synthetic 5w30 mixed with the remaining quart of m1 0w40. I left the oil in and threw another microgreen on. My intent was to see if I could do the whole 30k on the m1 0w40 and microgreen filters but the uoa I sent in after nearly 10k was never seen or heard from since. After waiting 1 1/2 months I just changed the oil. I plan on just using the rest of the microgreens for 15k each and will fci and oci separately.
The microgreen filter is an all-around excellent filter in my book. Thick can, media was like barely used after the long fci. It has the silicone adbv and the 2um micro disk for extra filtering. As long as I can get these mg on eBay or wherever for a good price I'll keep using them on this car for 15k.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A maddening Filter. Quite interesting on many levels.

We have evidence it works as claimed in some regards (UOA's, particle counts)

We have evidence it doenst meet their own claim in the area of 5 micron scrub rate of 98% (if I recall)

The designer seemingly let go - claims reworks arent as good and called the ball on this on amazon.

I observed a constant change and several repeated models combined with no manufacturer representation to make clear it looks like a constant bounce between supplier all doing a varying job of putting it together and it has a mix of materials.

We have 2 supplied particle counts at about 10K miles - they start with 17 and 18 on the first number, reason that the designer's claims are valid as 17 doenst aligned with the 98% claim - but it returns a very competitive UOA from a first number perspective
HOWEVER, it filters better than any I've seen at 10K with a single stage at that mileage.
a Fram ultra typically returns 24-23 on the first number.

With no factory guy risking to come on to talk to me about it and the company letting go executives with credibility.

To me it became an issue of trusting consistency.

I believe I get near performance or par performance with an ULtra and filtermag combo and run it out to 20K per filter change and have a more consistent product from FCI to FCI.

This filter done right is the Cummins stratpour venturi - to be used wherever possible.

Thanks, for the C&P.

Uncle Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NYSteve
Uncle Dave - what labs provide particle counts? I want to test my 17.5k Fram Ultra when it comes time.

Thanks

Blackstone - if you pay and they can do it - some samples are too dark
Wearcheck
Polaris
Cat

Most of the big ones have it as an add on service

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Here are the two examples Ive seen.

UD - Where/who did those UOAs come from? Was this before the MG designer spilling the beans on Amazon?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Here are the two examples Ive seen.

UD - Where/who did those UOAs come from? Was this before the MG designer spilling the beans on Amazon?

These are the one MG fronted themselves.

Dont know when these filters were made or sold though

We all looked at these to determine norb was correct

I dont know when Norb initially "came out."

UD

Last edited:
We have 2 supplied particle counts at about 10K miles - they start with 17 and 18 on the first number, reason that the designer's claims are valid as 17 doenst aligned with the 98% claim - but it returns a very competitive UOA from a first number perspective
HOWEVER, it filters better than any I've seen at 10K with a single stage at that mileage.
a Fram ultra typically returns 24-23 on the first number.

FYI, a couple of PCs from member Patrick0525 showing some Ultra data. Looks like the MG PCs are only better around the 10μ and below particle size point.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...mitsu-0w-20-5k-2014-venza-v6#Post5087436

I'll check em out .

Makes sense.

The Microgreen is looser in the main element than the fram is.

but at 10 and below the fram element lets all that go by and disk actually works- at what speed seems to be a question.

To the OP - they are only recommended for 10K runs, guess on that being the media isn't backed and that the microdisk could be plugged.

UD

I'll check em out .

Makes sense.

The Microgreen is looser in the main element than the fram is.

but at 10 and below the fram element lets all that go by and disk actually works- at what speed seems to be a question.

The biggest difference is at the 4μ point. Not so much difference at 6μ, and better for the Ultra above around 10μ. I can pop those two MGs into my plot to see how they look.

I would think the smaller the particle the greater the delta.

Sure more data directly comparable is always helpful - and thanks for bothering to create the chart to begin with.

UD

It'd be interesting to run a guesstimate of a Fram ultra with a filter mag.

UD

Originally Posted by Donald
There are particle counts of the oil, and some labs do analysis of the filter.

Donald, so far, in my limited searching (limited because of the reported cost!) I found TestOil to do a filter debris analysis but the cost is something like $345 PER FILTER... to me, that is reserved for something costing many hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more. It's something guys like Shannow may use for their machines at work, but never a personal vehicle. One FDA used instead for oil would literally pay for somewhere around 8 years of Amsoil oil and EaO filters while driving 25k per year!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Donald
There are particle counts of the oil, and some labs do analysis of the filter.

Donald, so far, in my limited searching (limited because of the reported cost!) I found TestOil to do a filter debris analysis but the cost is something like $345 PER FILTER... to me, that is reserved for something costing many hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more. It's something guys like Shannow may use for their machines at work, but never a personal vehicle. One FDA used instead for oil would literally pay for somewhere around 8 years of Amsoil oil and EaO filters while driving 25k per year!

I will see how much NAPA charges. I did not think it was that much. Its probably not the same test however.

Here's the PC data plotted out for comparison - I added the two Microgreen filters to the mix. Don't know why the board will not upload a .jpg file to the same size as original ... the file is small to begin with. I also uploaded the PDF of the data & plot which is easier to see the data. Click the "Show PDF" button at bottom of post. then click the magnifying icon button to zoom in.

Oil Filter ISO Particle Count Data Plots-2.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 19
Thanks Z.

Well the microdisk certainly "works".

Claim 1 - 30K of oil life over 3 filter - The UOAs we have show use of it meets the sump life claim which is its value prop.

Claim 2 - 98@ at 2 microns seem a stretch, but it certainly outperforms the best single stage based on this data- by a lot.
5 codes is a large delta.

Some have amusingly claimed prior (with no data) that it "doesn't do anything" and others claimed it "cannot work." - both obviously totally wrong.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back