Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by BLND1
Unpopular opinion - supertech synthetic at the manufacturers recommended OCI will result in statistically insignificant differences in final engine condition at 250k miles when compared with amsoil or any other synthetic.

Amsoil sells you comfort and elitism.

Supertech sells you oil.

Everyone else is somewhere in between.

So do you have any statistics supporting this statement?

That's a fair statement he made. You don't need any supporting evidence.

It's an opinion dressing up as fact, statistically you use statistics to prove statistics. So in short yes I do need supporting evidence.

Originally Posted by dseg42
Looking to put Amsoil in my new 2019 F150 3.5 EB like the rest of my cars.
Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil with an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter.

But since their signature series oil is not certified by API, I heard Ford could potentially void your powertrain warranty.
Wondering if anyone else is concerned about that or had issues in the past.
I know Amsoil has a few oils that have the API starburst but I really wanted to use their best oil (Signature Series) that is not API certified.

If your Owner's Manual says the engine requires a 5W30 grade engine oil AND you change the oil within the required intervals AND you show proof with receipts and logs, I don't see where FOMOCO could deny a warranty BASED on your choosing Amsoil as your choice of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
All hypothetical arguments aside I have only ever seen one denial for warranty based on lubrication, the engine had massive sludge and no proof of any oil changes in almost 40K. No UOA necessary on that one, if the engine is relatively clean inside and has the correct oil level I never heard of the oil coming into question.

Just yesterday I was talking to a GM master tech who owns a 2017 Silverado, he gets his oil changed at the dealer (Mobil 1). I asked him, you don't do it yourself? He said, no, I've seen GM void warranties unless there is documentation, they won't accept "I change my oil myself". So he doesn't risk it.

I own a 2018 Silverado, I do my own oil changes. I work in the industry and my service leader suggested to me that I at least create a service history through our Mitchell manage, just so there is some sort of documentation that's I am changing the oil. I didn't think it was necessary because like you said...my engine won't show sludge, it's well maintained and clean. But these manufacturers are ball busters trying to save a buck. It probably always has been that way, but perhaps it's worse now...you hear about ring replacements, oil consumption repairs, high pressure fuel pump replacements. Maybe they're tightening up because they're paying out so much on recent industry failures?

Originally Posted by Railrust
All hypothetical arguments aside I have only ever seen one denial for warranty based on lubrication, the engine had massive sludge and no proof of any oil changes in almost 40K. No UOA necessary on that one, if the engine is relatively clean inside and has the correct oil level I never heard of the oil coming into question.

Just yesterday I was talking to a GM master tech who owns a 2017 Silverado, he gets his oil changed at the dealer (Mobil 1). I asked him, you don't do it yourself? He said, no, I've seen GM void warranties unless there is documentation, they won't accept "I change my oil myself". So he doesn't risk it.

I own a 2018 Silverado, I do my own oil changes. I work in the industry and my service leader suggested to me that I at least create a service history through our Mitchell manage, just so there is some sort of documentation that's I am changing the oil. I didn't think it was necessary because like you said...my engine won't show sludge, it's well maintained and clean. But these manufacturers are ball busters trying to save a buck. It probably always has been that way, but perhaps it's worse now...you hear about ring replacements, oil consumption repairs, high pressure fuel pump replacements. Maybe they're tightening up because they're paying out so much on recent industry failures?

I'm going to say this is total bovine intestinal extract GM is one of if not easiest OEM to get a warranty claim work authorized. Most of the time GM does not even ask for receipts. Unless the engine is totally sludged.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Railrust

I'm going to say this is total bovine intestinal extract GM is one of if not easiest OEM to get a warranty claim work authorized. Most of the time GM does not even ask for receipts. Unless the engine is totally sludged.

There are certain years of GMC Suburbans and Seirra SLT pickups that both have the same dashboard (top area). There is a crack in the dash that happens near the airbag. There are thousands of examples. Most often this happens outside of warranty-because the vibration and sun takes some time to have this manifest itself. GM in many cases insist there is no issue. It's doesn't affect safety or performance in any way-it's cosmetic so you are out of luck getting it paid for.

Last edited:
OP, don't overthink this.

If you are concerned about warranty, just use Mobil 1 EP 5W30, in the 5Qt jug from Walmart.

It meets Ford specs, costs half as much as Amsoil Signature Series, and has very similar design and lubricating properties.

Since price is acceptable, you can go for 7.5k mile OCI to 10k mile OCI per oil monitor, and do it with confidence.

How would they know what kind of oil you put in? I mean unless they spend the coin to do the testing, they'd never know by pulling the dipstick whether it's Amsoil or Supertech! Lol

Ford wouldn't question the oil unless there was an oil related engine failure which is unlikely running SS. But, I highly advise against going the 25k or whatever OCI Amsoil recommends for that oil while your vehicle is in warranty.

But then he could do that with vanilla Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, or supertech syn.....

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

If you are concerned about warranty, just use Mobil 1 EP 5W30, in the 5Qt jug from Walmart.

It meets Ford specs, costs half as much as Amsoil Signature Series, and has very similar design and lubricating properties.

Since price is acceptable, you can go for 7.5k mile OCI to 10k mile OCI per oil monitor, and do it with confidence.

I was just looking at Mobil 1Â which is actually more money than Amsoil SS.

I also found that Mobil doesn't have the a 2019 F-150 on their vehicle search for oil.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Buy Mobil 1 or PP or QSUD etc all for $5/quart or less … so how much is Amsoil … ?

I consider M1 EP 5W30 to be particularly well suited for Ford EcoBoost because it is A5/B5. The Sulphated Ash is 0.8. Obviously, an owner would not want to extend the OCI beyond 10k miles, The price of M1 EP in the 5qt jug at Walmart is also a big plus.

Originally Posted by BLND1
But then he could do that with vanilla Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, or supertech syn.....

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

I have never heard or read of anyone taking advantage of Amsoil's "warranty". It does beg the question if the oil was taken longer than the OEM recommended drain interval or OLM, how reliable Amsoil's guarantee is. That is not questioning the oil itself, as I think it is a good oil. But if someone were to take the 25,000 mile or one year plunge with Amsoil and there was a issue and the OEM wanted to dispute, could Amsoil truly be counted on to run block if the owner goes beyond the OEM intervals.

And given that even Amsoil has its share of "fine print" on how to use their products and such, it begs the question that if it really came down to where the rubber meets the road, would Amsoil step up or just like most companies find a loophole that would absolve them of responsibility.

Too many unknowns to convince me that taking Amsoil, or any oil for that matter including the Mobil 1 extended stuff, to longer intervals than the OEM recommendation. I am comfortable enough that most any reputable oil company will go to bat over the quality of their product, and also that the Federal Trade Commission guidelines from the MM Warranty Act would apply, I am not convinced that if one steps outside the parameters of what the OEM set that they not be left with their bare butt exposed.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I have never heard or read of anyone taking advantage of Amsoil's "warranty". It does beg the question if the oil was taken longer than the OEM recommended drain interval or OLM, how reliable Amsoil's guarantee is.
Doubt very seriously they'll offer any help and will point to their fine print. They and other oil manufacturers who claim that longer usage intervals are okay still fall back to if the vehicle is still under warranty, "follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval".

This has nothing to do with Amsoil quality, but this why Mobil 1 EP and AP are better choices. Mobil made EP/AP fully AP compliant as well as D1G2 approved and made with a lower SA level for possible GDI engines. Mobil however recommends you follow your owners manual until out of warranty. I never had a desire to go over 15k miles regardless of the oil type.

Originally Posted by buster
This has nothing to do with Amsoil quality, but this why Mobil 1 EP and AP are better choices. Mobil made EP/AP fully AP compliant as well as D1G2 approved and made with a lower SA level for possible GDI engines. Mobil however recommends you follow your owners manual until out of warranty. I never had a desire to go over 15k miles regardless of the oil type.

Yes, think Dexos 1.2 is a good spec even when looking at use in a Ford or other GDI/TDI …
Might have been you who pointed out certain oil companies led the LSPI response …

I received the response below from Amsoil regarding the API certification on their SS oil:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question.

You are correct in that Signature Series is not API certified because the additive levels exceed normal performance levels. That is why our XL and OE oil are API certified but Signature Series is not so if they stipulate that you must use an API certified oil then potentially Ford could deny coverage. But if our AMSOIL products were the result cause of any type of failure, we stand behind them 100%.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

The below is stated in the F150 manual:
Use motor oils of the recommended viscosity and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

Back