Brake slider pin lube ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you all using to lube the slider pins on disc brake calipers. I know never-seize dries out, as does the silicon slider grease. What is best ?

Last edited:
PN is on the tube...

[Linked Image]

Most of the time , when I do a pad slap , the pins still have good lube on them . If not , I use some white lithium axle grease w/ molybdenum .

Watching the youtube brake jobs , the mechanics use a variety of products .

( Note , I do not live in the salt belt ! :) )

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube. The green stuff. Been using for decades.

Yes, I do live in the salt belt, and my last brake job on my summertime daily VW Rabbit Pickup was 13 years ago. I have also wondered about the Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease (pink) ?

I have a tube of Permatex silicone lube that I have had for probably 20 years now. I have probably done 30 or so brake jobs for self and friends family vehicles during that time and the tube is still probably 3/4 full. The stuff is cheap enough and a little goes a long way and a tube lasts a long time. It was probably about $3 back when I bought it not sure what it would cost now,but I doubt if it would be much over 5-6 $ a tube.

ACDelco 10-4019 Silicone Brake Lubricant formulated with PTFE or Raybestos DBL-2T Brake Lube which is the same thing. Both are Fuch Chemplex 839.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
3m silicone paste brush in cap

+1

Used Sil Glyde for years and it is good stuff, but there is not much silicone in it. For me, the pins start to stick after about 3 years. I bought the 3M stuff based on ericthecarguy's recommendation and it is better than Sil Glyde,

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clear-Silicone-Paste/dp/B005RNEH5O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=3m%2Bsilicone%2Bpaste&qid=1557155066&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

3M Silicone Paste worked for me for many years as well. When the garage burned down, I replaced it with the Mission Automotive brand on Amazon, works just as well.

For me, the issue is not the lube drying out, but instead the lube swelling the rubber bushings on the lower slider pin. The bushing swells over time, and starts to bind in the bore. I have tried a number of different brake lubes, and still run into the bushings swelling. Currently trying Permatex silicone brake lube, the orange stuff. We will see ...

The bushing is used to dampen caliper rattles. You don't really need it, but on some cars, the calipers really rattle bad. On others, you can't hear anything ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
For me, the issue is not the lube drying out, but instead the lube swelling the rubber bushings on the lower slider pin. The bushing swells over time, and starts to bind in the bore. I have tried a number of different brake lubes, and still run into the bushings swelling. Currently trying Permatex silicone brake lube, the orange stuff. We will see ...

I don't think I've ever seen a bushing swell up, but I certainly have seen the metal bore rust and compress the bushing onto the pin.

Originally Posted by geeman789

The bushing is used to dampen caliper rattles. You don't really need it, but on some cars, the calipers really rattle bad. On others, you can't hear anything ...

Even with Sil Glyde or 3M Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back