“Ford Dials Down V8 F-150 Production Amid Weak Demand“

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too surprising. Turbo engines are just so good nowadays, especially for truck work.

I had to stop reading at the introduction …
this is Ford's plan working no matter the narrative they wish to weave

I know a guy who owned and towed with both and guess which one got traded in for what …

The eco's low end torque just makes it a better feeling engine for truck work. The 5.0 is great, but needs revs to feel the same, which makes it so fun in the mustang. I had the 5.0 in my 2013 truck at work, but bought the 3.5 eco in my 2016 to tow my trailer. Both are super crew truck with 6.5ft boxes.

A friend has a 2012 F 150 Eco work truck in which he pulls a very heavy tandem trailer. The truck now has around 130k and the engine still performs very well.

Originally Posted by tcp71
The eco's low end torque just makes it a better feeling engine for truck work. The 5.0 is great, but needs revs to feel the same, which makes it so fun in the mustang. I had the 5.0 in my 2013 truck at work, but bought the 3.5 eco in my 2016 to tow my trailer. Both are super crew truck with 6.5ft boxes.

Exactly. TFL Truck just put out a video comparing tuned and stock F-150s towing an 8,600 lb. trailer at a drag strip. The stock 2.7 EcoBoost was faster than both the stock and tuned 5.0. The tuned 2.7 snapped the rear driveshaft (although this was in a prepped track and it axle-hopped.)

The 5.0 Coyote is wonderful in a Mustang, not in a truck that needs torque.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Unfortunate. The naturally aspirated V8 should be more reliable down the road.

Likely the case. But don't think Ford has matched the (non AFM) GM 6.0 in that area … yet for whatever reason (CAFE?) it's only in the 2500 series which means it's also working harder and lasting longer …

Two threads come to mind … There was one with unanimous support for the 6.0 in a HD gasser category and one recent thread on the new large displacement Ford pushrod engine …

For occasional LD towing, the EB engines are OK, and likely would save a fair amount on fuel. For those of us hauling 7K+ trailers around on a regular basis, and actually working a truck (not commuting & hauling weekend toys), I'm still not sold on reliability. And, given the battles we have with Ford on even minor issues on the Transit fleet, and ridiculous wait times to get anything major done, I would rather avoid the Ford dealership experience completely!

Absolutely correct.

I think this could hurt Ford in the long run, since disgruntled customers won't be loyal if their turbo engine blows up early on.

although a turbo'd engine can make more power especially with DI it costs more + can cost big time for repair if needed. i will take a naturally aspirated manual shifted truck any day, add port injection and we are good to go a long time. hey that sounds like my 2011 frontier a real bargain compared to todays overpriced tanks-trucks!

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Absolutely correct.

I think this could hurt Ford in the long run, since disgruntled customers won't be loyal if their turbo engine blows up early on.

Unfortunately, old thinking like this won't die. If this were an old carbed V8 of old you might be right, but all V8's these days are pretty sophisticated. There are a ton of computer controlled aspects of these V8's that have a lot engineering behind it. Ecoboost 3.5 has been in F150's since 2011 and it's now on it's second generation. If you think Ford hasn't brutally tested these engines you are nuts. Putting a turbo on something doesn't always mean they are less reliable. You need to remember diesels in heavy duty trucks have turbo's too and those can easily get 500k on them.

The V8 isn't dead in the F150's, but its market share is certainly changing. More or less this sounds like they were tired of randomly shutting the line down at times to modulate output, and now are instead eliminating one shift.

Ford took a huge gamble back in 2011 with the original Ecoboost option in the F150. 8 years later, the market has spoken pretty clearly about preferences. And we are still waiting for these huge numbers of turbo failures we were warned would be the bane of these engines... (Full disclosure: Fully content and happy owner of a 2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost).

The gen 5.0 (2018+) is riddled with problems. Word on the problems has gotten out. As a result, people are not buying them. I have a 2018 5.0 F150.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
The V8 isn't dead in the F150's, but its market share is certainly changing. More or less this sounds like they were tired of randomly shutting the line down at times to modulate output, and now are instead eliminating one shift.

Ford took a huge gamble back in 2011 with the original Ecoboost option in the F150. 8 years later, the market has spoken pretty clearly about preferences. And we are still waiting for these huge numbers of turbo failures we were warned would be the bane of these engines... (Full disclosure: Fully content and happy owner of a 2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost).

idk why people would think turbo failures would be a thing. They aren't on OTR trucks and they put on the miles in two years that a pickup will see in its whole life.
Then the ecoboost turbos are water cooled. They should be very happy long lasting turbos.

^ +1

I'm amazed so many people are still frightened half-to-death of a modern turbo. They're reliable, cheap and make tons of power and torque. I'd never buy another car that WASN'T a turbo.

Last I looked a new turbo for a 2.7 EcoBoost from a dealer is under $400.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
The gen 5.0 (2018+) is riddled with problems. Word on the problems has gotten out. As a result, people are not buying them. I have a 2018 5.0 F150.

Please explain. A ticking sound doesn't equate to a problem.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
You can start here. Have fun reading... There are a lot of unhappy 2018 V8 owners... (2017 and back are happy though...)

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-f150-5-0l-excessive-oil-consumption-tsb-2058-a-440924/

Meh....I am aware of the problems. Your definition of a lot and my definition of a lot are different. In scale,1-2% have issues. No engine is perfect. I'd expect that the the 3rd Gen Coyote will get the bugs worked out. Manufactures all across the board have generous ideas of what normal oil consumption is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by AC1DD

Absolutely correct.

Unfortunately, old thinking like this won't die. If this were an old carbed V8 of old you might be right, but all V8's these days are pretty sophisticated. There are a ton of computer controlled aspects of these V8's that have a lot engineering behind it. Ecoboost 3.5 has been in F150's since 2011 and it's now on it's second generation. If you think Ford hasn't brutally tested these engines you are nuts. Putting a turbo on something doesn't always mean they are less reliable. You need to remember diesels in heavy duty trucks have turbo's too and those can easily get 500k on them.

Diesel is a lot different from gas..

Diesel engines:
Turbos don't turn as fast and are subjected to less exhaust heat. (gas burns hotter)
Closed deck engine blocks with forged internals. (Are Ford ecoboost open deck?)
Turn at a much lower rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back