4 day work week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do 8.30-5.30 five days...(I need 3.30-5.30 to actually get some work done). (edit, I usually do getout on time Fridays)

Maintenance staff working 4 day week means less morning tea and lunch producitvity losses, less toolbox talk time...less opportunity for ad-hoc rather than planned overtime...makes a lot of sense

Last edited:
Out the door at 5:20 AM for four tens. In the winter, that meant it was dark when I left and dark when I got home. It wasn't that bad and I liked the four days off that rolled around every four weeks..

Originally Posted by CrAlt
4 8hour days would be fine with me.

That actually makes the most sense, but with this insane world we live in, it'll never happen.

I worked for years in TV working 4x 10 hr days. The shifts were 5a-3p and 3p-1a. Both had their perks. The evening shift, boss wasn't around and the programming was better. Morning shift, I was in before the boss and could triage any fires that needed putting out before getting slammed by others wanting answers.

First day of three off, I was a zombie though.

What made up for it, as said, was being able to get to the bank, DMV, dentist etc.

A place more generous with OT could really let a guy clean up with 60+ hour weeks, too.

I have not worked a "normal" work schedule in 23 years.

When I worked EMS, I would 24 hour shifts (usually 24 hours on, 48 hours off), worked in a factory in a clinic and worked 1 6 and then 3 12's (Th-Sun or Wed-Sat), and currently work 3 12's/week of my choosing.

I love having weekdays off, able to get stuff done with other at work.

If I did a "9-5" job, I would rather do 4 10's than 5 8's.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This really depends on many factors. The size of the business, whether it's a regular business open ten hours a day or a 24/7/365 operation and much more. Making a blanket statement as the BBC did here is not telling the entire story.

Yes, it really does depend. It can't work for all businesses, nor can 9 to 5 work everywhere.

I've worked all kinds of shifts in the glass industry, she is a ruthless B going 24/7/365. You just can't shut off a 500+ ton glass furnace like you can just about every other process that industry has. I've done 5-8s swinging forwards, 7-8s swinging forwards, 4/3/3/4 12hr shifts, etc. The last is by far my favorite, although there is a place called Circadian that does work-life balance studies and I am intrigued by it. They have broken down a schedule for 12 hour days with 2,3, and 4 day work weeks for a total of 182 work days per year... and every 8 weeks you get 8 (yes EIGHT) days off without taking any vacation!

Oh, if we could just convince people to come to work all the time (which is really only HALF the time!) to make a schedule like that work for a 24/7 operation! Imagine what you could do with the same pay and 90+ more days per year OFF without taking any vacation! (For reference, right now our yearly schedule has each shift working roughly 276 days per year).

I did 4 days for almost 10 years. Nearly all of that time I had Fridays off, so every weekend was three days. It was a great schedule.

My (now my former) employer discontinued that schedule. Their position was that it was inefficient and that we'd get more done in five days. Since they measured (literally) everything we did, I asked after a year about the five day schedule and if they could quantify how much more work was being done. They told me they couldn't tell me. One of the reason it's now my FORMER employer.

We do 4 10 hr shifts at my work. I enjoy it, but the days are a little strange as I work Wednesday through Saturday nights. So I'm off Sunday through Tuesday. I don't mind the longer shift and being 3rd shift we basically just put stuff back together if it breaks. If we have our inspections done we have plenty of downtime to do whatever. Typically I'll watch the cameras to spot problems before it happens. Saturday nights they don't run production so we perform PM's and other projects we feel is needed done. No shortage of stuff to do that night! But I don't mind as we don't have to worry about calls.

9 hr days Mon-Thu, first Fri 8 hrs, next Fri off

We support production, customers/AOGs, various sites, travel, etc... at times are support doesn't follow the above schedule. Our manager is very flexible, as long as we have 40 hrs in a week he doesn't really care.

Last edited:
Back in my masonry days we did this but only when we worked out of town far enough we had to stay in a motel, it saved a night in a motel but as one mentioned after laying block/brick for 10 hours not much gets done in the evening. We always worked Mon-Thur but occasionally Tue-Fri. To do it all time, no thanks.

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
9 hr days Mon-Thu, first Fri 8 hrs, next Fri off

We support production, customers/AOGs, various sites, travel, etc... at times are support doesn't follow the above schedule. Our manager is very flexible, as long as we have 40 hrs in a week he doesn't really care.

This the shift I have also. 9x80
It works for me.

We tried the 4-10's with Fri, Sat and Sun off at my last job and then it turned into them calling us in almost every Friday for a 8 to 10 hr shift and even half a day on Saturday too. You could never plan a 3 day weekend.

I'd like to know who came up with the 5 day work week in the first place. When are we supposed to have time for our families? The 4 day work week should've been the norm from the get go...

Originally Posted by grampi
I'd like to know who came up with the 5 day work week in the first place. When are we supposed to have time for our families? The 4 day work week should've been the norm from the get go...

If I'm not mistaken, the norm was a six day work week. Sunday was the day of rest. The five day work week came later.

If you can't make time for your family with a 5 day work week you are the problem not the employer.

Originally Posted by Blaze
We tried the 4-10's with Fri, Sat and Sun off at my last job and then it turned into them calling us in almost every Friday for a 8 to 10 hr shift and even half a day on Saturday too. You could never plan a 3 day weekend.

Everytime I see a employer attempt to this schedule this a sizeable amount of the workforce calls in sick on their Monday or Friday and muddles it up for everyone else.

Originally Posted by dave1251

If you can't make time for your family with a 5 day work week you are the problem not the employer.

I never said it was the employer's fault, I just think a 5 day work week is too much...in a year I'll have a 0 day work week as I'll be retired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back