2019 RAM Hemi 4x4 is the dumbest oil change I've encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fumoto valve is a good idea.

It's a 2 year lease. I just might not even bother again until it's time to turn it in.

Originally Posted by dwcopple

It's a 2 year lease. I just might not even bother again until it's time to turn it in.

That's one reason I would never buy a vehicle off lease. I know many people that lease and they always cheap out on everything since they are ; "Turning it in anyway"

Many believe in; cheapest oil change, stretched till OLM goes off, cheapo brakes and tires, etc.

I can't say I blame them, but I'm not buying one.

Sounds more horrible than the previous generation hemi powered Rams, which were kind of messy as well.

I guess as you'd expect, the Pentastar powered Ram 1500s are a lot more mess free in terms of oil changes. Lots of room under there.

Originally Posted by Delta
I'm spoiled by the top access filter on my GTI and now new to me Tacoma. More vehicles should be that easy!

My BMWs and Mini have topside mounted cartridge filters- it makes oil changes dead easy.

Originally Posted by johnachak

That's one reason I would never buy a vehicle off lease. I know many people that lease and they always cheap out on everything since they are ; "Turning it in anyway"

Many believe in; cheapest oil change, stretched till OLM goes off, cheapo brakes and tires, etc.

I've bought four cars off-lease; if the cars have a full DSH it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Should be the same as my liberty...a little hard to reach but drains super neat. There's a tray that catches the oil from the filter and directs it down. Yours might be missing that if it's ever had the steering rack out. The only thing it can hit is the steering rack bushing, so I just put a bag over it. It's an easy, 15 minute oil change!

It's a brand new 2019.

Weird....they stopped making libertys in 2013. Cherokee? Not sure where cherokee oil filters are besides the 3.2 v6 ones, which are up top and a cartridge style. My 2015 cherokee is an easy oil change too.

Originally Posted by Warstud
How about punching a hole in it and draining it before you remove it.

Add that to the tinfoil or form-a-funnel idea and we may have a winner.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Gentlemen, we were given brains for a reason.

- I always put down cardboard, old plywood, or whatever to keep drips off the floor.
- Have a suitable drain pan to catch everything.
- A ziplock bag over the filter will catch most of the mess.
- A few rags under the filter will catch any missed drips
- In some difficult locations, I form aluminum foil to catch and direct oil to the drain pan.

I hate cleaning up oily spills. A few minutes prep time eliminates the messy clean up.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Gentlemen, we were given brains for a reason.

- I always put down cardboard, old plywood, or whatever to keep drips off the floor.
- Have a suitable drain pan to catch everything.
- A ziplock bag over the filter will catch most of the mess.
- A few rags under the filter will catch any missed drips
- In some difficult locations, I form aluminum foil to catch and direct oil to the drain pan.

I hate cleaning up oily spills. A few minutes prep time eliminates the messy clean up.
[Linked Image]

The bag idea looks neat, but I can see me dropping it and the bag exploding next to my head when it strikes the floor! Lol!

Originally Posted by johnachak

I do 2 year leases so no tires or brakes to deal with.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by AZjeff
But, if anyone thinks vehicles are designed to make anything easy for the DIY guy you might be mistaken.
It depends on the manufacturer and the model. My Mazda has a access panel that reveals the drain plug and filter with no obstructions. I'm surprised when I hear of vehicles where the entire splash shield has to be removed.
My Toyota has an access panel for oil changes, but it originally was hinged and so long that it can not clear the ground to open it unless the car is much higher off the ground than otherwise necessary. That wasn't a DIY-friendly move. Some owners deal with it by removing the entire large splash shield, which involves removing about 13 stubborn plastic push pin fasteners and several bolts.

I modified the access panel to make it easily removable, so it's completely out of the way after removing only 3 push pins and two screws.

I still have to lift the car a little, which is annoying, and wasn't necessary on my earlier cars. At least oil and filter changes are free of messy drooling on other components, as described by others in this thread.

On a 6.7 Cummins, you have to go through the wheel well. Once you drop the filter, you have to use one hand to balance the filter and plug the hole with a special tool at the same time. As times goes on, I care less and less how much oil I get on me, the truck, the ground, and everywhere else.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Air filter and wiper blades might be the only replacements during a 2 year/24K lease.

There's no way I'm bothering with an air filter...

Not your car! contract says you have to maintain it properly by the book.

Do it. or suffer the slings and arrows of BITOG misfortune.

Regarding the position of the drain plug, get a Fumoto drain valve and replace the stock plug. You can attach a small hose to the outlet of the valve and run it down to the pan. Or control the flow with the valve so that it doesn't shoot all over like taking out the plug. I have used Fumoto valves since the 1990's. All of my personal and commercial vehicles have Fumoto valves on them, some for the similar situation the OP has. One on my semi truck has almost a million miles of 20,000 mile oil changes. Just as good as the day I bought it and put it on.

The solution for the filter has been addressed.

Last edited:
If it's like my 2016 Ram Hemi, it does make a mess. I just contain it, wipe it and spray brake cleaner and call it done. It's easier to reach from the front to get the filter, BTW.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I think the problem (where filters and drains plugs are in poor locations) stems from: engine design and where it fits are done by different teams with no communication between. Engines have optimal filter placement and are packaged for builders' convenience...engine builders have to fit into a size but likely aren't told what's just outside those areas.

The same engine is frequently used in different vehicles too. An automaker isn't going to have 2-3 different engine assemblies for different vehicles.

There is communication too. If there wasn't, something like an oil filter could end up in a location that's almost entirely inaccessible (not just "difficult to access"). There's just a limit to the changes that they can make to accommodate all scenarios. They do have to compromise at times....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
It depends on the manufacturer and the model. My Mazda has a access panel that reveals the drain plug and filter with no obstructions. I'm surprised when I hear of vehicles where the entire splash shield has to be removed.

I've seen some with small access holes but if you start punching holes in these shields, they start losing any value. Many of these shields have a primary function of reducing noise and these holes probably end up creating more noise.

My Infiniti has a "door" but it's not too large. I haven't used it but I'm curious how much oil still hits it when the drain plug is first removed. You know how oil comes out at first, going a fair bit horizontal and slowly changes to draining more vertical ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back