Crash at Moscow Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man all was quite for a long time, But now its like every month...week?? we're hearing of some bad plane crash

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Marco620
We I am not planning on flying for awhile now.If I did I would use a rigger to pack my chute. Think staying home gets better everyday .

Even with the crashes we've had lately, it is it far safer to fly than drive. What concerns me far more are the qualities of young pilots that I've read about. Seems they are competent until they get punched in the face so to speak, and then when there is something out of the ordinary, their lack of experience or perhaps airmanship gets everyone in a hot mess...

Until the investigators get in and file their report we won't kniw exactly what happened. What is known however is that something happened shortly after takeoff and they returned directly back to the airport. What that problem was is the question. Obviously it was very urgent.

The qualities of young pilots is very much a part of crashes. I've been following world champion aerobatics for some time now and I can tell you this - most of the pilots competing have a day job that includes flying too. Airline pilot, military pilot, instructors or just fly outside of the job be it in gliders, single or multi engines, flying is their passion.

The last time there was a crash in Russia Svetlana Kapanina penned an opinion (on her website) concerning the current state of (Russian) airline pilots and it wasn't good. Her opinion is that all airline pilots should be exposed to hardcore aerobatic training: how to come out of a hopeless spin, mastering common aerobatic maneuvers and general crisis management. With multiple world champion wins under her belt Kapanina knows what she talking about; her day job is pilot instructor 1st class for Sukhoi design bureau.

Chesley B Sullenburger or Sully as he's known, was a military pilot before his airline career started and he also spent his free time in gliders. All that sure was handy when it was "miracle on the Hudson" time.
Additional examples : Aude Lemordant ( Boeing 777), Castor Fantoba (Boeing 737, 757, 767), both are aerobatic champions as well.

Jumping in an Air France 777 with Aude Lemordant in the front would be a reassuring thing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Whatever happened to the fuel additive that was supposed to eliminate such post crash fires? Too expensive?

I'm not sure what this additive is.

I thought a LOT of Aeroflot and other Russian Commercial airline pilots WERE former Russian Air Force Pilots???

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I thought a LOT of Aeroflot and other Russian Commercial airline pilots WERE former Russian Air Force Pilots???

Yep. Known for taking huge risks, flying drunk, and having low experience/flight time.

We don't know what happened here, but "former Russian Air Force" would cause me trepidation..

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Even with the crashes we've had lately, it is it far safer to fly than drive.

If I need to take a trip I can rent a large late model car, get plenty of sleep, practice defensive driving and take things at my leisure to ensure a safe and comfortable trip-for myself and my passengers.

On a plane your putting ALL your safety into the hands of overstressed, underpaid, and exhausted pilots, and mechanics.
Oh and let's not forget the under-maintained equipment which is pushed to it's limits between servicing by the bean counters in the accounting office.

Dunno about you, but I know which scenario I'd prefer.
coffee2.gif

Believe it or not back in 2015 visiting friends in Switzerland, I flew Aeroflot from NY-MOS-Zurich. Flight was around $300-500 cheap than other carriers

It was a 777 only 7 years old, But boy was that plane worn out !!! My video ent screen had no volume and stained dirty.

Wasn't until I got to Switzerland that I was informed that Aeroflot was a low quality dangerous airline

RIP to those who didn't make it

Dave

Originally Posted by PimTac
Whatever happened to the fuel additive that was supposed to eliminate such post crash fires? Too expensive?

It didn't work as expected so was abandoned.
The fuel was still as flammable with or without the additive.

Suffice it to say, I'm skeptical of the pilot's (supposed) explanation that a lightening strike ultimately led to this crash landing. What I see is a terrible "landing" (sic) as the proximate cause of the fire that consumed the airplane.

Whatever happened in the brief flight they most likely landed overweight. The tail of the aircraft looks too low on runway, main gear may have collapsed.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by The_Eric
Even with the crashes we've had lately, it is it far safer to fly than drive.

If I need to take a trip I can rent a large late model car, get plenty of sleep, practice defensive driving and take things at my leisure to ensure a safe and comfortable trip-for myself and my passengers.

On a plane your putting ALL your safety into the hands of overstressed, underpaid, and exhausted pilots, and mechanics.
Oh and let's not forget the under-maintained equipment which is pushed to it's limits between servicing by the bean counters in the accounting office.

Dunno about you, but I know which scenario I'd prefer.
coffee2.gif

Oh I'd be right there with you... I dislike the TSA and their security circus, I dislike the lack of control and also have concerns about all of the things you mentioned.

Still, statistics say its far safer to fly.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by PimTac

It didn't work as expected so was abandoned.
The fuel was still as flammable with or without the additive.

That was my thinking as well. If you take away or reduce the flammability then you have other problems to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back