Should Water Pumps be Replace as a Preventative Maintenace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
If they're under the timing belt, it's often easier to do when the timing belt is being done.

You add a half hour (water pump) to a job of several hours (timing set) - it saves you in the long run.
That's what reputable shops do but in another forum, someone with an Accord was quoted ~$500 for a timing belt replacement and ~$400 for the water pump, so $900 total. Should be more in the sub-$700 range and that's using Honda parts (water pump is typically $150-200).

Never as a preventative service*

* Assuming an accessory drive, not a timing belt. Never owned a vehicle with a timing belt, so...

In my years of wrenching on my own stuff, I've only ever had to do one water pump - and that was actually the 3rd one that had gone in on that Jeep Cherokee...

Older Subaru EJ engines get timing belts at 105k. It's been a smart practice since you have to remove the timing belt to get the water pump out anyways, so it's always been acceptable for me to consider a water pump a PM item. If your water pump is easily accessed, maybe not, but considering the head gasket issues EJs were prone to, the $100 extra to swap the pump at timing belt time is a smart investment IMHO.

It's all your call based on your comfort level with it not failing at the least opportune time.

Every 50k in the 240s as part the timing belt service.

The Avalon's water pump is electric. A whole new world for me.

Sam

No, inspect weep hole and I would only replace at engine rebuild/replace or if it's driven by timing belt.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Never as a preventative service*

* Assuming an accessory drive, not a timing belt. Never owned a vehicle with a timing belt, so...

I never came across it until I had my Audi, but timing belt kits for a lot of German cars come with the water pump. Given that an OEM water pump for the Audi was only $60 and how difficult the timing belt was, it was a sensible precaution.

In the older days (90s?) Toyota and Honda with timing belt with only 60k-90k interval should change the water pump to save labor (just in case), they didn't mention tensioner but they usually are shot at the same time, or long before water pump fail.

With chain driven engine, just wait till it leaks.

I recently replaced the water pump on my ECHO after 280,000 miles and 19 years just because it had never been done. The old one showed no visible wear or leaking out of the weep hole.

On the other hand my BMW eats water pumps for lunch. It never gives me a chance to replace it early as PM.

I recently replaced my water pump at around 170K miles because I was replacing the radiator due to my fear of this generation Nissan radiators failing by mixing coolant and ATF. I did it more due to the age than the miles. The old one showed no outward signs of wear. I used a new OEM pump. The radiator also seemed fine, but it would be an expensive repair if it failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back